What happened to Dua with Radical Optimism?

burninredhot

That she released another pop gem. Next question

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She ate, hope this helps :clap3:

It's Dance The Night Away's fault. Somehow that song was well received, and the label wanted her to release something like that. She was already dead set on her vision for the album, as per her hints in interviews, and with the label interference, that effed up what she wants the album to be. 

This is her Try This. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A critical MID OFF.

• Haha 1

FN worked in 2020, but it wouldnt work now. I love the more laidback and chill sound of RO.

11 minutes ago, ronelmaano13 said:

It's Dance The Night Away's fault. Somehow that song was well received, and the label wanted her to release something like that. She was already dead set on her vision for the album, as per her hints in interviews, and with the label interference, that effed up what she wants the album to be. 

This is her Try This. 

for real?

The producers were a mistake

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CBC said:

mixed artistic directions. she was talking about 70s pyschedelic pop sound (Tame Impala) but the album serves chill summer rooftop. regardless the album is cute and is strong enough to be a safe transition into a greater 4th album, she'll be alright

This. All these talk about Psychedelic pop, rave music, and Britpop are misleading. 

• Like 2

Combination of things, really. 

Shitty timing with regards to singles and album rollout. Houdini coming out in November actually wasn't a bad choice, but she decided not to promote it at all in lieu of a DTN Oscars campaign that was never going to happen. And then a big wait for TS and when it came out it felt like there was going to be another massive wait to find out album details. Then the album coming out like 2 months later. And the fact that Taylor ended up releasing a couple of weeks before her. idk what kind of release schedule would have worked better - maybe Houdini in February/March and releasing the album the end of May/early June. Who knows.

I don't think that calling it a psychedelic, UK-rave scene Massive Attack type of album helped. And the "this is a 180 for Dua" comment. It's fine for her not to say that and for some stans/haters to be like "it sounds just like FN!" because that's always inevitable, but when she also said "it's going to sound like this!" and it's clearly not, that really does not help.

This would have worked better as a follow-up to her self-titled in terms of growth from that & being able to make a cohesive record, and THEN from that into Future Nostalgia would have been "WOW she really keeps getting better and better" but ultimately FN was album number 2 and it set high expectations, both for quality and US success.

And to that... I'm not sure if she really cared enough to push for US success? Compared to her first two albums at least. The album sounds exactly like something that would smash in the UK/EU, her singles were all doing well there, she didn't bother with much US promo it felt like (outside of interviews). 

• Like 2

We complain when pop girls play it safe and also when they try something new.

Posted (edited)

The album is great; it just doesn't match the title and the chaos she said it would have. Like, it is just a pop album instead of something more adventurous. It is very Daft-Punk (Watcha Doing), Music-que (Happy For You) and a bit of early 2000s analog-electro with the Michael Grayisms (Illusion). The best songs on the album are when she leans heavily on these sounds instead of modernizing them. 

I just found out Michael Gray's new album Optimism just came out and it eats this album up. 

Edited by Phaunzie

I think this album (alongside HTE) will be the prime examples of why very long album rollouts don't work that well on the streaming era, most of the hype goes to the lead and with more time and releases the hype keeps dying down

as for critical reception it's because of a lot of talk about how will the album sound and what will it be, had we gotten Houdini in February and the album in May without all that teasing and the over-use of the word psychedelic the album would've felt fresh, fun and better received 

I think the issue is that her stans are a little delulu :rip: So I don't think their hype set her up for success

Some of them put her on the same level as legends who have been in the game for years, so of course people are going to have high expectations. 

She's always been a harmless, faceless, but fun pop girl with bops. You'll be happy when you expect less from her.

• Thanks 1

Tap management may have a good ear for A&R and I suspect they would have insisted on additional recording sessions that would have resulted in a greater degree of sonic magic, but from a business standpoint she really did have to get away from them.

It's just a shame she swopped them out for her Dad and not an equally dedicated, rival management team with as sharp creative and commercial instincts as the Tap team she lost.

Her interest appears to be very slowly pivoting towards an almost Angelina Jolie type role as a humanitarian advocate who shines a light on the plight of marginalised groups and her interest in that area seems to be growing at the expense of her concentration and focus on her music.

RO is her best album overall. Literally everytime i listen to it i think "what's not to like?" bc the singles are good enough to be hits and the other songs are great. FN truly delivered some higher highs but it had some lows that RO doesn't have.

And people just take her way too seriously. FN's score is overrated and set the bar high for her - the album was good but in no way it was a 88. It was a 79-81 at most. Now she's expected to deliver some type of masterpiece bc people said so :skull:

Dua is a pop singer, she has some good references but her main focus will always be creating some catchy pop songs for radio and streaming. It fascinates me how people literally thought she would make a full-on alternative psychedelic album and not just pop songs with hints of that here and there :deadbanana2: She's making dance-pop at its core and that's about it.

9 hours ago, Xtripped said:

We complain when pop girls play it safe and also when they try something new.

ns but what risk did she take with the sound of this album :gaycat6:

She thought she would absolutely EAT as an album artist when given creative freedom, so she put cohesion first, and it sadly didn't pay off.

should've made a bunch of eclectic pop songs and pick the greater ones, with no concept in mind, and experiment and work with different producers throughout the project.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.