What happened to Dua with Radical Optimism?

burninredhot

So i have given RO 6 listens from the start to finish. There is not a single bad song but nothing hits as hard as Physical or Love Again did when i first heard those songs in 2020. I also see alot of other users share this sentiment on the album thread. So now what exactly does RO lack that FN excelled in? :gaycat6:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

FN was more grand and in your face, RO is much more laid back and chill

I think Dua has the kind of voice that just works better with epic songs for people, although I do prefer RO overall because sometimes those epic productions can be a little overblown

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Genuine question because I haven't looked at credits. Was Future Nostalgia writing camp'd or self written? Radical Optimism is definitely lacking in huge choruses and I'm wondering if Dua and the people she's working with now are just not as good pop writers as the professionals who worked on FN.

• Like 5

Idk abt yall but i loved it 

Falling Forever + Happy For You been on repeat for 12 hours now 

she left no crumbs and ate the plate too 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They gave her full control

And she trusted Kevin Parker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

dr luke wasn't available to ghost produce again (allegedly)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Genuine question because I haven't looked at credits. Was Future Nostalgia writing camp'd or self written? Radical Optimism is definitely lacking in huge choruses and I'm wondering if Dua and the people she's working with now are just not as good pop writers as the professionals who worked on FN.

Completely new group for Radical Optimism, except for Ian Kirkpatrick who worked on Falling Forever and Anything For Love. He produced Don't Start Now and Pretty Please on FN. 

• Like 1

mixed artistic directions. she was talking about 70s pyschedelic pop sound (Tame Impala) but the album serves chill summer rooftop. regardless the album is cute and is strong enough to be a safe transition into a greater 4th album, she'll be alright

• Thanks 1

she's meditating guys 

• Haha 1

she lost her taste between FN and radical mediocrity from all the globe trotting and super spreading during the pandemonium 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Thumbs Down 2

she decided to make a great album and release it

gretchen-make-up.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

She just released her best album, I think. 

I know most people won't agree but personally I never managed to get into FN. :chick3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say it could grow on me, but that would imply I would have to force myself to listen again which I don't do anymore with music anymore. 

• Like 1

Ro lacks a concept and it's just the beginning…

She was a little too radically optimistic about her staying power

gretchen-make-up.gif

• Haha 7

It seems like she wasn't sure whether to deliver something more left-field and experimental (for her standards), or something more palatable for radio airplay and general consumption. The marketing for this album reflects that as well. I think the album's fine but namedropping acts like Oasis and Massive Attack would inevitably set expectations very high, and it would backfire at the slightest deviation from that promised soundscape. Plus, the fact that the pre-release singles are the album's standout tracks leaves little surprise for listeners upon release. So it's understandable that both critics and fans find themselves feeling underwhelmed with the whole package.

• Like 1

It's sounds like an album and an album rollout you make when you're exhausted, but pretending you're not.

• Haha 1

The bar was set so high for FN and y'all got too comfortable with Dua spitting out disco tracks for the gays. Heaven forbid she do anything different 

• Like 1

The three singles already released hit just as hard as Future Nostalgia in my opinion. This trend of hating artists because they are not reinventing themselves with each and every of their release is ridiculous. The material is great.

• Thanks 1

Based on how she described the album and what she ended up releasing I wonder if she had a completely different (good) album in the works that got scrapped after Houdini underperformed. Either that or she has no idea what music she's making.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Digitalism said:

They gave her full control

And she trusted Kevin Parker

like honestly i think this might be a huge factor... like kevin parker is just not a good producer for pop girls.

he's a great musician but he hasn't produced a hit or a masterpiece for other people

• Like 2

The key weakness on this album was the lyrical content. Felt so devoid of any real emotion. Maria & Happy For You are examples of songs that hit the sweet spot in terms of sound but the storytelling was so generic. Where's the detail? Where's the conflict or passion? If the music is gonna be familiar territory (not just for her, but for pop music in general), the lyrics at least need to venture somewhere unexpected to leave an impression that there's a crumb of individuality. It was all very "been there, done that". It's not horrible but at least horrible would've left an impression. Felt very toothless, safe & anonymous & she's too far into her career to keep doing blah. I want to hear a Dua Lipa song & feel excited! This was boring & not even remotely psychedelic. She set herself up to fail with that being a keyword in the press buildup

• Like 1

its WATERED DOWN FN

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.