Dua Lipa - Radical Optmism | Metacritic Thread - (70)

Sugden

So, we just had two major pop released with mixed reviews. I wonder if Billie's new album is going to be universally acclaimed. So far, Max Martin keeps winning with an 84 score for Eternal Sunshine. 

• Like 2

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• playwithme

• alfonso12

• supaspaz

A sub-70 score would be terrible for Dua in 2024, so I hope that it somehow stabilizes. The album is mediocre, but there's no way it is worse than TTPD. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

both RO and [REDACTED] being panned is just ensuring that ES wins Best Pop Vocal Album at the Grammy's

:suburban:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wantedyoutogrow said:

ensuring that ES wins Best Pop Vocal Album at the Grammy's

or it's William eyelash

Down to 69

I hope it somehow stays around 70-73 at least

Oh wow. As per ATRL standards, TTPD was a critical bomb, so that makes this what, the worst album ever released?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, playwithme said:

A sub-70 score would be terrible for Dua in 2024, so I hope that it somehow stabilizes. The album is mediocre, but there's no way it is worse than TTPD. 

It is is indeed worse than TTPD :coffee:

TTPD wouldl get higher score if it wasn't bad sentiment/overexposure around Taylor right now. Dua has nothing against her it's just the music itself is reductive and dull

:ryan3:

Edited by Cloröx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, playwithme said:

Lmao not when The Albatross alone blows this one out of the water

2 hours ago, alfonso12 said:

I clearly said MAINSTREAM pop album, learn how to read. 

Of course, TFM is the most acclaimed *checks notes* mainstream pop album by an artist named Stefani :ahh:

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Lmao not when The Albatross alone blows this one out of the water

37 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

TTPD wouldl get higher score if it wasn't bad sentiment/overexposure around Taylor right now. Dua has nothing against her it's just the music itself is reductive and dull

TTPD got some ridiculously high scores like 100 from RS simply because of her name. TTPD is the definition of being reductive and dull. At least, RO has some bangers like Watcha Doing. There's not a single song with replay value on TTPD. It deserved to be in the low 60s. The worst album of the year.  

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 7

I'm not sure why Dua stans got so brave when TTPD got few bad reviews. It was pretty obvious that RO is also gonna get mixed reception 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Of course, TFM is the most acclaimed *checks notes* mainstream pop album by an artist named Stefani :ahh:

The reviewers were literally comparing Body Talk to The Fame. 

Dec 8, 2010
The first genuinely exciting, no-filler, pure pop full-length album since The Fame.
  • Haha 1

JWuY4DK.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

Nah, Taylor's album was also dull an VERY reductive. Poptimism era is over I fear

2 hours ago, playwithme said:

So, we just had two major pop released with mixed reviews. I wonder if Billie's new album is going to be universally acclaimed. So far, Max Martin keeps winning with an 84 score for Eternal Sunshine. 

And it's not even a good album, not sure why everyone is pretending.

What is annoying to me is that she's kinda held to an higher standard compared to some other girls *caugh Miley caugh*

But at the same time I get it... FN follow up, mega hype due to her working with Kevin/Danny, and those damn psychedelic/rave comments :rip: she was always going to fail unless she delivered something perfect. Oh well, it well make her fume and she will come back harder next time

How is this getting panned? Like the album is great?

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Well it's not, hope that helps :)

• Haha 7

This is a cute pure pop album that isn't trying to be something it isn't, the critics can suck a cock. It's biggest flaws are somewhat generic lyrics and and the lack of boldness but even then it should objectively be around at least 75, especially if something like Eternal Fillers is sitting at 85. 

Why was the Pitchfork review already ready? Don't they usually release their reviews on Mondays?

2 hours ago, Lady Claire said:

Down to 69

I hope it somehow stays around 70-73 at least

Scores usually start at their highest and go down as the week goes by. This started at 71 ,will probably go down to 60-65 in end .

48 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

A 70 is panned? It's not acclaimed but far from being panned.

51 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

for Katy's standars yes the album is greath otherwise it's a medicore album. 

GIFMaker_me.thumb.gif.b73b6c629ccf7d5305

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Going by the curiously opaque, even defensive press that led into Radical Optimism, you begin to suspect the pandemic did a fair bit of the heavy lifting. Of her new album, Lipa, er, divulged to Time recently, "I'm just a different person, so of course this record is going to be different. I have different thoughts, wants, needs, and perspectives." Go girl, give us something? She's bristled at the entirely accurate notion that "Houdini" has anything to do with disco; elsewhere in the promotional word salad, she has spoken frequently of the inspiration of Britpop and the energy and experimentation she hears in the likes of Primal Scream and Oasis. But listening to Radical Optimism with Britpop in mind might recall the Arrested Developmentbit in which Michael Bluth is forced to ask, "Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?"

This was soooooooo nasty :deadbanana4: and the Hold The Girl comparison omg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.