Billboard: "Will Taylor Swift be the last million-selling star?"

Feanor

Billboard: "Will Taylor Swift be the last million-selling star?"  

52 members have voted

1. 1. The answer to Billboard's question is…

• Yes.
    • No.

1 hour ago, supertiffany said:

you know how obsessed kpop fans right? 

they can make fan donation and do fund drive and buy albums in bulk 

they did million in pure sales with the albums priced up to 50 US dollars 

BTS couldn't do it at their absolutely prime and neither could any of their solo releases.

Lisa is not selling a million in the US. No way. No how.

Post-Vegas Adele is going to do a million first week again. Mark my words.

13 minutes ago, 40_L3VE said:

Post-Vegas Adele is going to do a million first week again. Mark my words.

NO

unless if her label did the following

1. 20 track album at least

2. signed albums

3. 5 versions, with 1 exclusive song each and 10 vinyls

4. she release the lead single along the album

5. open the Grammys, do SNL, and other night shows

6. spotify and tiktok payola

7. streaming friendly songs, like 5 Easy on Me or Hello kind of ballads (no to long songs that lasts more than 5 minutes)

8. last but not the least IF SHE WANTS TO

The last non-Taylor album to do it was 9 years ago. The last before that was 13 years ago.

That said, some of the new artists could do it if they do everything right. Billie or Olivia to be exact. But it would take 7 years or something to build it up.

3 hours ago, supertiffany said:

Lisa alone can pull out 1 million pure sales, especially if it has more than 10 songs that will increase the units

2 hours ago, supertiffany said:

you know how obsessed kpop fans right? 

they can make fan donation and do fund drive and buy albums in bulk 

they did million in pure sales with the albums priced up to 50 US dollars 

1 hour ago, supertiffany said:

the girls done that WW

for US im just saying possibility if they just do donation fund drives, and buy in a US store 

BTS is the bigger group but individually Lisa is a bigger celebrity than any of them and marketable in the US 

Lisa's stans couldn't pull that 1 million sales feat in the South Korean charts, which are known to permit bulk purchases by just one person and global shipments are counted for sales figures. The idea that Lisa could sell 1 million in the US within a week, a feat even BTS has not accomplished, seems like a deliberate set-up or trolling.

I think the bigger question is: do labels want to invest anymore to make this happen again?

I'm seeing a "no" from them.

2 hours ago, liam13 said:

i read somewhere that kpop counts pre-orders from retailers, stores and fans. meaning if a big store orders 1M copies, it means 1M sale first week even if they're still in store. in the us, a copy is counted as sold when it's shipped. not sure if it's legit so don't come at me hehe

also, not the black pink stans thinking they could do 1M like taylor :rip: if bts stans couldn't do it, why would you think black pink stans be able to?

So SK has two charts, Hanteo and Gaon. Gaon is the one that counts shipments but Hanteo counts sales at retailers. The problem is that they allow bulk orders from retailers, so yes the system is flawed. 

Just now, Taylena said:

Lisa's stans couldn't pull that 1 million sales feat in the South Korean charts, which are known to permit bulk purchases by just one person and global shipments are counted for sales figures. The idea that Lisa could sell 1 million in the US within a week, a feat even BTS has not accomplished, seems like a deliberate set-up or trolling.

just said possibility since Lisa is with a US label now.

regarding what you said, that's an issue, Lisa is believed to be sabotaged by YG

because why Jisoo can sell more than 1 million pure copies if Lisa who is much bigger than her havent done it? 

if jisoo sold more than 1 million pure sales, then definitely lisa has done it.

unless people start buying more physicals, I'd say yes.

3 hours ago, Virgos Groove said:

Quite possibly, but I remember people saying Rep would be the last million-selling album after Lover, Folkore and 30 failed to, so you never know...

michael-jackson-reading.gif

Well, the only person who has done so afterwards is Taylor. So looks like we have our answer :suburban:

Seems like a bigger possibility that she'll be the last one to debut with 2M+, but 1M? No, I don't think so, I honestly think someone can do it again. 

9 minutes ago, supertiffany said:

just said possibility since Lisa is with a US label now.

regarding what you said, that's an issue, Lisa is believed to be sabotaged by YG

because why Jisoo can sell more than 1 million pure copies if Lisa who is much bigger than her havent done it? 

if jisoo sold more than 1 million pure sales, then definitely lisa has done it.

I'm aware of the YG sabotage and i'm sure she did sell 1M. I wouldn't be surprised if her future solo releases sell 2M or even more, but as far as it concerns Billboard i'm not even sure Lisa can sell 150k for the reasons stated previously. 

If Billboard relaxes the rules, like allowing bundles or 99cent sales, then probably. But under the current rules? No. 

First of all, I think CSGT or whatever tf it's called undercounts album consumption by at least 30% compared to the SoundScan and digital download eras at least. Like, no one can go diamond anymore, did people just stop listening to music, or are the record companies gaslighting us? Is it a conspiracy?!? Who knows?!

:kitty:

Only Adele, Taylor sells millions from pure sales alone. None of the artists are huge pure sales seller so I don't think.

I doubt that.

Probably. The only other female who has a shot is Adele but her lazy ass takes ages to release and that is starting to affect her numbers so it's not even certain.

5 hours ago, Arrows said:

The last non-Taylor album to do it was 9 years ago. The last before that was 13 years ago.

That said, some of the new artists could do it if they do everything right. Billie or Olivia to be exact. But it would take 7 years or something to build it up.

Views did 1 million first week but yeah, it's been only those 3.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.