Billboard: "Will Taylor Swift be the last million-selling star?"

Feanor

Billboard: "Will Taylor Swift be the last million-selling star?"  

52 members have voted

1. 1. The answer to Billboard's question is…

• Yes.
    • No.

What does ATRL think? 

michael-jackson-reading.gif

Quite possibly, but I remember people saying Rep would be the last million-selling album after Lover, Folkore and 30 failed to, so you never know...

• Like 3

I feel that as streaming grows, there will some day be a star that debuts with $1M sales just from streaming numbers in the far future

and the huge streaming stats that we have today, will be a child's play after 10 years or so..

• Like 1

Wait 

Espresso Smile GIF by Sabrina Carpenter

She may be the last one to debut with +2m, but not +1m. 

With that said, i don't think she'll be the last one to debut with 2m either. But it will take quite some time.... probably decades! 

Billboard constantly changes/updates their chart formula so one day (years away from now) one album willl make a giant splash on streaming too and will manage to do so with an updated formula. 

• Like 2

well the Blackpink members are now solo,

Lisa alone can pull out 1 million pure sales, especially if it has more than 10 songs that will increase the units

Adele can if she WANTS to, she pulled 1M units in 2 weeks without signed albums, 12 tracks, and non-streaming friendly songs. But she's in dgaf mode lol. 

• Like 1

No, her doing these numbers shows that it's still possible with the right promotion and artist development. The labels brought us to this point, not the consumers 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if she will be. I mean what's the highest opening sales for a non-Taylor album since, let's say, 2020 aside from 30 by Adele? Morgan Wallen? Beyonce? Drake? I don't remember anything that topped more than 600k after 30.

And streaming has already grown exponentially. By the time it "grows" where an album sells 1M equivalent units will likely take more than a decade at this rate (maybe shorter for Taylor but the thread is about other artists potentially selling a million). And by that time maybe a new format will be introduced to the world that could rival streaming.

I am actually assuming this is about opening weeks, hopefully I'm correct.

6 minutes ago, supertiffany said:

Lisa alone can pull out 1 million pure sales, especially if it has more than 10 songs that will increase the units

In the US? :rip:

Has she retweeted this yet?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Virgos Groove said:

In the US? :rip:

you know how obsessed kpop fans right? 

they can make fan donation and do fund drive and buy albums in bulk 

they did million in pure sales with the albums priced up to 50 US dollars 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

No, her doing these numbers shows that it's still possible with the right promotion and artist development. The labels brought us to this point, not the consumers 

This is a very good point. I think both huge debuts and big fanbase driven sales are always possible

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Mr. Duff said:

I wouldn't be surprised if she will be. I mean what's the highest opening sales for a non-Taylor album since, let's say, 2020 aside from 30 by Adele? Morgan Wallen? Beyonce? Drake? I don't remember anything that topped more than 600k after 30.

Beyoncé doesn't belong in this conversation, REN and CC both failed to even hit 500K.

1 minute ago, supertiffany said:

you know how obsessed kpop fans right? 

they can make fan donation and do fund drive and buy albums in bulk 

they did million in pure sales with the albums priced up to 50 US dollars 

Their last album did 102k with streaming. :rip:

• Haha 1

This is a type of question for which pessimistic predictions have historically not aged well, largely because of Taylor. I wouldn't want to be in the same club as the Forbes writer who infamously declared the age of million-selling debuts to be over. That said, it's entirely possible she's the last one in terms of pure sales - nobody else comes close enough to meaningfully contend with that threshold anymore. If they mean in combined units including streaming, I think things are less certain. And certainly if US labels start to take notes from the South Korean music market, that could change everything completely. I don't think it's possible to tell, but I lean toward no - someone else could make it to a million in a week someday in the US.

5 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Their last album did 102k with streaming. :rip:

their last album only has 8 songs, with 4 songs released BEFORE the album :deadbanana2::deadbanana2:

that's streaming, these obsessed fans can be more than a cult and do it with PURE SALES. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

I agree it's not impossible but it's not just about the right promotion or artist development. Taylor is an anomaly because she wasn't a manufactured product of a label. She built this empire herself from her own songwriting ability and business skills. If anything, Borschetta merely opened the door into the industry for her and tried to groom her but clearly she was too brain smart to stay under his rule. She got out and calls the shots now. Not every artist has Taylor's power and influence over labels. 

Edit: I forgot to mention, Taylor is able to also sell because of her personality, likability, and relatability. There's a lot of depths to her success.

Edited by Buffy
  • Like 1

didn't a kpop group just sell 2.26m copies in ONE day? :mazen:

• Thumbs Down 1

We need better music and less gimick and yeah then we will have 1m + or more debut weeks. Vinyl is at it's boom right now, people do buy enough physicals for streaming era, so yeah. Ppl pls make better music

8 minutes ago, Buffy said:

I agree it's not impossible but it's not just about the right promotion or artist development. Taylor is an anomaly because she wasn't a manufactured product of a label. She built this empire herself from her own songwriting ability and business skills. If anything, Borschetta merely opened the door into the industry for her and tried to groom her but clearly she was too brain smart to stay under his rule. She got out and calls the shots now. Not every artist has Taylor's power and influence over labels. 

Edit: I forgot to mention, Taylor is able to also sell because of her personality, likability, and relatability. There's a lot of depths to her success.

She's great for her market, and I'm not denying her skills as a songwriter or businesswoman, but there are other lanes that can bring about such numbers as well.

I like to use New Jeans in Korea as an example, it's still possible to debut a zeitgeist-level artist even in this musical landscape, but it takes a lot of care and intention and creativity that many do not have now. Remember Taylor is technically an artist from a completely different time even though her peak is now 

i read somewhere that kpop counts pre-orders from retailers, stores and fans. meaning if a big store orders 1M copies, it means 1M sale first week even if they're still in store. in the us, a copy is counted as sold when it's shipped. not sure if it's legit so don't come at me hehe

also, not the black pink stans thinking they could do 1M like taylor :rip: if bts stans couldn't do it, why would you think black pink stans be able to?

I don't think any current female artist could get over a million SPS in the first week other than (maybe) Adele. Morgan Wallen is unfortunately huge in the United States, so if anyone could do it, it's him. 

1 hour ago, supertiffany said:

well the Blackpink members are now solo,

Adele can if she WANTS to, she pulled 1M units in 2 weeks without signed albums, 12 tracks, and non-streaming friendly songs. But she's in dgaf mode lol. 

US or WW? BTS is bigger in the US and none of their solo releases were even close to half a million :toofunny3:

I'm not an active listener of her but I really see it for Olivia Rodrigo one day at her current trajectory and artist development.

Posted (edited)

Well she is proving that it's possible for artists to sell records in numbers many people thought would no longer be possible with streaming. Most artists don't try to sell records like she does. Remember when she used to put snippets of songs on Good Morning America? The Papa John's pizza box? She got Ellen to do a full show dedicated to her album release when Fearless came out. She has always done more to promote her albums than most other artists.

Edited by awesomepossum

1 hour ago, Rev8 said:

I feel that as streaming grows, there will some day be a star that debuts with $1M sales just from streaming numbers in the far future

and the huge streaming stats that we have today, will be a child's play after 10 years or so..

That would be like several billions of streams in a single week. Can someone do the maths if it's north of 10B or not?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.