The New Yorker: Why normal music reviews no longer make sense for Taylor Swift

NEX

Posted (edited)

lmao as if they know for a fact that Taylor is the only one who does this. There must be tons of other artists who make similar references that go completely over our heads simply bc they're not as big celebs as she is.

Edited by dumbsparce

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virgos Groove

• NEX

• The Music Industry

• Redstreak

2 hours ago, Keter said:

They're setting this lady up for the biggest downfall. They build you up just to see you fail. 

I am SO excited. :ahh:

Why do wypipo do this to their own? I just don't get it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, St. Charles said:

Nah nobody cares. Yes, Taylor has drafted a universe for her fans. But if you have to be personally invested in every detail of her life to make sense of the lyrics and enjoy the songs, she deserves whatever reviews she gets just like everyone else.

This is basically asking people to do homework and reading assignments in order to like her music.

The lore make it more fun for the fans.

But casual listeners with brains

still can appreciate the lyrics just fine without the need to know what is those songs about.

People use to think that Taylor only skilled at writting about personal stuff but they miss the remark that she is also good at making those pesonal feeling so relatable. 

• Like 1

Swifties thinking they can just "the girls who get it, get it xD" their way out of legitimate criticism is so :deadbanana: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Swifties trying to convince us that the biggest artist in the world is somehow TOO complex for ordinary people is so funny. :deadbanana4: What's next? Is McDonalds too much of an acquired taste? Is a Ford Focus difficult to drive? Is the iPhone made only for tech nerds? :deadbanana4:

And yet NONE of your faves encourage the amount of think pieces no matter the ArTiStREe~ yall scream that they have

I know it burns you up that more critical thought is put into this "bland white woman" that any amount of sampling and vocal layering could bring

Edited by Redstreak
  • Like 4
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, NEX said:

You all came into this thread with an agenda and posted it without reading the article

You're right i didn't read the article but I am not wrong :rogue:

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

And yet NONE of your faves encourage the amount of think pieces no matter the ArTiStREe~ yall scream that they have

I know it burns you up that more critical thought is put into this "bland white woman" that any amount of sampling and vocal layering could bring

All those think pieces, yet no Pulitzer. Mmh...

page4_1.gif

And I'm not even gonna entertain that sampling part. Swifties hating tentpoles of Black music (or all music in the case of vocal layering :rip:) is nothing new.

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

All that thought, yet no Pulitzer. Mmh...

page4_1.gif

And I'm not even gonna entertain that sampling part. Swifties hating tenants of Black music (or all music in the case of vocal layering :rip:) is nothing new.

So you are entertaining it? Someone has to entertain something with the lack of noise being made

Edited by Redstreak
  • Confused 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

Not a whole article on why she chose to rhyme wife with bike instead of life :deadbanana4:

Them trying to paint the idea that she's some kind of Thesaurus and the modern day Shakespeare with these basic ass lyrics :deadbanana4: :deadbanana4:

Reviews don't matter because 'they don't get it'  :deadbanana4: :deadbanana4: :deadbanana4:

The amount of media manipulation, influence, propaganda and push for Taylor is really... telling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Thumbs Down 4

I'm so glad you guys have threads and avenues to vent your frustrations about Swift. She ain't going anywhere btw. So keep popping those blood vessels and smashing those keyboards! :clap3: It's great entertainment

• Like 2

Mind you, this is the magazine that used to publish think pieces about the likes of Foster Wallace, Baldwin and García Márquez. But somehow they find a white billionaire's victimhood a topic worthy of intellectual conversion. Lmao. Give me a ******* break.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

It seems impossible to have Taylor related discourse on ATRL. The whole article is anti-Taylor and paints her discography and writing in a negative light. Yet the OTH rushed into the thread and perceived the article as some kind of Taylor high-praise going by "feels", and are popping their veins trying to discredit the article and the writer. @Virgos Groove took out an entire residence in here. This is just hilarious. I can't anymore 

woman-pen.gif

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, chiliam said:

The lore make it more fun for the fans.

But casual listeners with brains

still can appreciate the lyrics just fine without the need to know what is those songs about.

People use to think that Taylor only skilled at writting about personal stuff but they miss the remark that she is also good at making those pesonal feeling so relatable. 

True, and I think you kind of disproved the article. People can enjoy it without knowing all the lore and references, so it's fair game for critics.

Taylor impact is never ending. Hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Brikenbur said:

Not people defending her music. WE DON'T LIKE IT. THE CRITICS DON'T LIKE IT. 

STOP TRYING TO MAKE US LIKE IT AND THINK IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD MUSIC AND MAKING A THINK PIECE AROUND IT! :angry:

giphy.gif

This article misses the point. Yes, Taylor has created a vast and nuanced Swiftverse which fervent fans enjoy and decode. But that's not why she's successful or brilliant. The true genius of Taylor Swift is her ability to capture very personal, intimate, singular moments and feelings in  way that registers on a universal scale with listeners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

this conversation cause you all when that bicth know you you :eddie:

anyways. imagine constantly thinking and fuming about something or someone you don't like or even hate. couldn't be me :sistrens:

What a pretentious article. The lore in question is cool for the hardcore fans and the ones in dire need of a parasocial relationship with their favorite celebrity, but I'm quite certain she doesn't get these billions of streams from people who want to find Easter eggs about Matty Healy in her music. My mom likes her songs and she has no clue who Joe Something even is, let alone Matty Healy. She just thinks they're pleasant songs. The babying and overprotection from criticism of this woman is gonna be her downfall.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Virgos Groove said:

Swifties trying to convince us that the biggest artist in the world is somehow TOO complex for ordinary people is so funny. :deadbanana4: What's next? Is McDonalds too much of an acquired taste? Is a Ford Focus difficult to drive? Is the iPhone made only for tech nerds? :deadbanana4:

Right, it's kinda of ludicrous. They're acting like she's some indie artist, while she's very much the biggest artist commercially out there. She writes music for teenager girls - there is nothing particularly bright about including references to your personal life into songs and the examples used in the article doesnt in any form equate to any particular brightness. It's getting out of hand.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

i think its ironic that the author compares her music to the MCU as if the MCU movies haven't suffered the same fate of the later installments all mushing together and lacking any specific identity. like. mcu movies aren't above criticism just because theyre a franchise. that makes no sense.

• Like 1

The way none of the OTHs here read the article :suburban:

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Is Taylor paying these publications to write this or are journalists doing this by their own free will because wtf is THIS!? :deadbanana2:

I mentioned this before, but when you are an artist like Taylor who time and time again has shown little care or support for the world's current climate/culture. And you barely write about anything else but YOURSELF. And if you're constantly only writing about your interpersonal relationship affairs, and people "have" to be sucked into YOUR life just to "understand" your music. It no longer becomes Art but it becomes a huge Vanity Project. And every single piece of work you release after that will also JUST BE Vanity Projects.

And and that's the one thing her and J.Lo have in common, and why a large demographic will never consider Taylor Swift a true "artist". Even tho she is. JUST like they don't J.Lo. History has shown that often masterpieces have been made by artists who were AWARE and displayed their awareness of the climate of the world. The more Taylor ignores and refuses to make her art about certain things other than herself, her art will stop resonating with the rest of the world like it use to.

These publications are starting to become so embarrassing all because of the score she got. We aalll know she's sooo capable of sooooo much more, this is just odd. It's unfortunate that this is the album they decide to have this take with. Cause she has done such amazing work with other albums.

Edited by cuteboyzay
  • Like 5

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952mqwi3lra26x22gko6zb

Literally no one here reading the article and instead coming in with their own completely random takes based on a thread title, I can't. :bibliahh:

• Haha 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.