Why did camp work for the Teenage Dream era but not for the Witness era?

Josh

Swish Swish is the same brand of campy comedy Katy did in the Teenage Dream era with California Gurls and Last Friday Night. Why did camp work for the Teenage Dream era but not for the Witness era? 

• Confused 1

There's nothing camp about the TD era, CG and TGIF just use cheap/cringy early-2010s humor and feed off of bimbo stereotypes (not a complaint btw, I don't think there's anything wrong with it). The Witness era IS camp but mostly due to the fact it was an unintentional mess, her antics and desperation during the era almost make me think she was doing a huge bit that eventually destroyed her career as a musical artist.

Also, music during the TD era was just miles better :cm:

• Like 4

Just now, pika said:

Do some of you only make threads just so you can talk to other people? :deadbanana: She was young, pretty and made better music with TD. She was older, uglier, and making bad music during Witness. It takes less than 10 seconds to think this through.

and it took you a second to respond to my thread

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Josh said:

and it took you a second to respond to my thread

….because the question was that easy to answer. Please save the 'gotcha' attempt for when it actually makes sense. :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

She went from a teenage dream to a soccer mom

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't really understand how she was expecting us to recieve it...

katy perry snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

"OKAY YALL! LOOK! GRANNY'S STILL GOT IT!"

Edited by concubine
  • Haha 4

We like sl**ty camp, not woke camp. 

• Confused 1

Katy-Perry-Hair-Makeup-2017-MTV-VMAs.jpg

• Haha 2

She leaned into the camp with TD, while during Witness she tried to push the whole purposeful/political pop shtick.

She was younger and the music was somewhat better

Why yes, let's have some more think pieces as to why Witness didn't work out.

• Haha 3

During the Witness years the musical landscape shifted and campy fun pop was out, sad girl pop became in with Lorde and Halsey etc smashing… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pika said:

Do some of you only make threads just so you can talk to other people? :deadbanana: She was young, pretty and made better music with TD. She was older, uglier, and making bad music during Witness. It takes less than 10 seconds to think this through.

sometimes I feel like Josh gets paid by the mods to make threads at this point. I think if he makes 3 pointless threads a day he gets a grand total of $50 and a coupon for two free chicken minis at chic-fil-a

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Zaynsus said:

big boobs

• Haha 3

Because during Witness she made it seem like she wanted to be taken as a 'serious' and 'woke' artist. Bringing camp and childish antics was the kiss of d****

5 minutes ago, BLΔCKP!NK said:

sometimes I feel like Josh gets paid by the mods to make threads at this point. I think if he makes 3 pointless threads a day he gets a grand total of $50 and a coupon for two free chicken minis at chic-fil-a

and yet that didn't stop you from posting in them BLΔCKP!NK

I believe it was the hair.

Not the ruthless drag in this thread :deadbanana2:

The Witness era wasn't campy though...

13 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

The Witness era wasn't campy though...

Yeah it had nothing of camp, it was actually embarrassing and lacked awareness to be camp

• Like 1

One era she was hot and sexy

Can y'all let 2017 Katy Perry rest in peace? I swear it's been almost a whole ass decade

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

Yeah it had nothing of camp, it was actually embarrassing and lacked awareness to be camp

This. The album aesthetic was interesting along with some tracks but the delivery and promo were weird.

Edited by Princess Aurora

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.