Would Witness era be more successful if 'Bon Appetit' was the lead?

naval23

The song still sounds like a BOP today and way more lead single material than Chained to the Rhythm if we're being honest 

No i think it'd have been less succesful

• Like 6

No, Bon Appetit is a cute bop that got done a bit too harsh, but as a lead single it probably would have made the album flop harder.

Imo the only song other than Chained that could have worked as the lead is the title track. It wouldn't have been one of her biggest hits, but acts like Selena were having success with mid-tempo's at the time and it probably would have been less polarising than the actual singles.

• Like 5

Honestly, yes:giraffe:

Bón Áppétít is the objectively better track and better yet doesn't go with the "purposeful pop" shtick of CTTR, which always seemed inauthentic and rather ironic given that people don't want to hear a lecture about escaping into meaningless pop music from an artist whose whole career was built on serving said meaningless pop:deadbanana2:

Even with the buzzcut the era would have been at least incrimentally more succesful

Edited by raisetheroof
  • Like 1

No:bibliahh:

The song is too cheesy even for her standards 

And we'd be exposed to this performance even sooner? :rip:

katy-perry-rap.gif

Tracklist:

Witness

Roulette

Deja Vu

Mind Maze

Chained to the Rhythm

Tsunami

Power

Miss You More

Save as Draft

Pendulum

Singles:

1. Witness

2. Tsunami

3. Pendulum

4. Roulette

• Thumbs Down 3

It was doomed regardless. 

Unironically yes, CTTR, while I love it, is too clunky for GP standards, the campiness of BA would have given the era more buzz from the start. The whole "woke" shtick she was going for in the beginning was derailed by the campier stuff that came after. The rollout was messy and could've been handled better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It might be wishful thinking or pop delusion on my part but I believe Roulette, Bigger Than Me or Tsunami would have smashed hard - emphasis on Roulette. The singles were horribly chosen and doomed her to fail.

Edited by nostalgic

Maybe, with a non homophobic rapper and making the beat drop since the 1st chorus, it would've been a smash.

No.

Hey Hey Hey would've been a much better 2nd single though

• Thumbs Down 1

Not sure I follow the logic here, Bon Appetit was what derailed the era to begin with

If people weren't criticising Katy's haircut they were criticising the overtly sexual music video, which I remember got a lot of heat back when it was released

no but Bon Appetite is a really good song and was done wrong, it deserves justice

CTTR was too woke that time

wokeness is only cool before pandemic 

she was too early being the woke anti capitalism to make it cool

Shocked no one has said Swish Swish. 

regardless I think this was just her time to underperform

• Like 1

I think the first two singles were the right choices. People were just over her. Witness would have been a better 3rd single instead of coming for Taylor with Swish Swish. 

also Roulette or Déjà Vu should of been whatever Hey Hey Hey was supposed to be. Would have loved to be in that drug fuelled conference room when that choice was made. 

Edited by WhateverYouWant
  • Like 1

Roulette!!! She had the first single.

And whats with all the Witness hate from everyone i actually love this album.

It would bomb even harder :rip:

CTTR is the right lead single choice.

• Like 1

This was when I knew she was done :rip: The singles for this album couldn't have been bigger parodies of Katy Perry, corny and reductive. 

42 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Not sure I follow the logic here, Bon Appetit was what derailed the era to begin with

If people weren't criticising Katy's haircut they were criticising the overtly sexual music video, which I remember got a lot of heat back when it was released

I don't think anyone cared that the video was sexual. People just wanted to hate on her at this point. Myself included, she became very uncool almost immediately after the rollout started. I admit she was problematic, cringy and the album sucks but this song and a couple others deserve more love! 

Edited by WhateverYouWant

we do know her takedown was planned. no change in rollout wouldve helped. i do think to this day that bon appetit is her best song and video and i say this as someone who was here since the one of the boys rollout. controversial but i mean it

The lead single should have been the title track, such a shame

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

It makes zero sense. Why are we acting like a single position can change his charting? Bon appetite flopped and making it the lead wouldn't have changed it.

You'd be surprised but second singles can have success too. Even more than the lead. 

It's a bop tho. We failed ha on this one. 

• Like 1

It didn't matter what she released. Katy Perry was old news by the time that era came around.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.