• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enrique523

• fridayteenage

• Cruel Summer

• Raspberries

27 minutes ago, havewemet said:

The numbers are huge, her fan base is rabid and her marketing tactics are unmatched. Here's the thing: 859k vinyl sales divided by 4 variants is 216k. 891 million streams divided by 31 songs is 29 million.

The numbers are inflated dramatically. Especially when you consider it's basically a double album. You almost have to divide the numbers by 2 and then decide then again by 4 to get a true picture of how many people are really buying/listening. The people who get it get it but the people who don't will never hear this music. Maybe that guy from the Pet Shop Boys was right…

Let's not forget, the same people buying the CD are the same people streaming the album.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

37 minutes ago, Klein said:

The Billboard chart year started in October just in case, but I guess we can also say "already" tbh. 

21 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Yes, but it's important to note that the current Billboard year starts absurdly early - the entirety of 1989 TV's chart run is included.

Yeah I know about 1989 TV and the chart year but still, there are 6 months left. :skull: 

Incredible numbers. 

Out of this world :jonny5:

Still would have been her biggest opening without vinyls :rip:

• Like 5

Congrats to Taylor. Huge pure sales. The way she's still able to capitalize so much off a dying format needs to be studied. 

274k digital sales is insane in this day and age and undraggable. Wonder if it's all iTunes, iTunes, iTunes or what

• Like 1

Insane, iconic, legendary! :clap3:

The Legendary Poets Department 

• Like 1

When Rep TV comes out in September and she ends up with the whole top 3 of the year :rip::rip: 

50 minutes ago, havewemet said:

The numbers are huge, her fan base is rabid and her marketing tactics are unmatched. Here's the thing: 859k vinyl sales divided by 4 variants is 216k. 891 million streams divided by 31 songs is 29 million.

The numbers are inflated dramatically. Especially when you consider it's basically a double album. You almost have to divide the numbers by 2 and then decide then again by 4 to get a true picture of how many people are really buying/listening. The people who get it get it but the people who don't will never hear this music. Maybe that guy from the Pet Shop Boys was right…

I hope this is satire. :hoetenks:

• Haha 6

43 minutes ago, justin. said:

Hopefully, this is satire. Otherwise, we can all stop reading after your second sentence, given most people did not buy all 4 variants. :deadbanana4:

Literally I only bought one and my motivation for collecting all four went out the window when the anthology came out and had all of the physical exclusives. I'm the same person that still has seven unopened variations of folklore 😭

Just rename the charts after her at this point :cm:

• ATRL Moderator

Would have only been around 2m if she didn't include The Bolter :clap3:

58 minutes ago, havewemet said:

Acting like EVERYONE who bought a vinyl, bought 4 is crazy. I'm a huge fan and haven't even bought 1 yet cuz I didn't have the money. You're severely overestimating how many people have bought all 4 variants. It'll mostly be vinyl collectors/ swiftie influencers.

also an average 29M streams for 31 songs, in one week in the US alone is incredible so not sure what your point was there?? :sorry:

• Like 5

LEGEND. THE BIGGEST OF ALL TIME, or at least OUR TIME and there is no close 2nd, I mean the closest is like number 61 compared to her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By the Water said:

BB200 2024 YEC (Week 28/52):

1. 1989 (Taylor's Version) - 3,500,000

2. THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT - 2,610,000

:clack:

what pisses me off here is that she hasn't gotten a YE #1 since 2018 and now suddenly she's blocking herself :deadbanana4:

• Haha 13

astonishing numbers :jonny:she's selling more vinyls (859k) in one week than the best-selling LP did in the 2010s (Abbey Road, 559k)

1 hour ago, elincomprendid said:

Taylor Swift '1989' Nearly Half of Albums Sold in the U.S. Last Week (billboard.com)

From this article you can infer that 1989 TV sold 98k digital and from the 1.261M physical you could subtract and get the cassettes (but I'm lazy to do that math)

Probably due to the vinyls being around $10 more for each this time around due to double disc than with midnights. I suspect this hurt at target too. At my local target basically all CDs are sold out but vinyl is widely available.

More CD's than 1989 (2014 version):jonny2:

• Like 1