CNN: TTPD unfairly criticized; demands time to be fully appreciated

OnlyManInTheWorld

This could be said about any other album too. Why the need to defend this one exactly?

• Like 12

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Music Industry

• raisetheroof

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• PoisonedIvy

1 hour ago, OnlyManInTheWorld said:

It's not fast-food. 

That's exactly what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11
  • Thumbs Down 10

She about to Quote Tweet this with some "If there was fair journalism in the 1830s it'd be you <3" mess

• Haha 14

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

This could be said about any other album too. Why the need to defend this one exactly?

Not really? It's clear that an album like Lover or Smile does not get better with time. Whereas plenty of fans who didn't like TTPD at first realize they misjudged it on first impression. Culturally, Taylor is at a level that makes it difficult for people to rationally interpret the music she puts out. When her stature dies down, this album could potentially be received with more love en arms. But only time will tell. 

I personally loved the album on first listen and think it's not meant for everyone but that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just a divisive record in the same way reputation was. (Except the lyricism on this is much more apt of her capabilities, especially in the Anthology half of the album, and the production doesn't sound dated to its year of release.) 

Edited by PoisonedIvy
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's not fast-food. It's a multi-course meal that stipulates the person sit, with undivided attention, and focus on what is before them. 

:rip:

Them trying to convince everybody else that the **** they consume is in fact great :rip:no one's buying it though so idk just stick to talking about the numbers and her success and wealth 

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Not an entire article to unironically say

spacer.png

"Just keep listening, keep listening! It's good I promise!" :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Thumbs Down 2

CNN has nothing better to report? No wonder the world is burning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Punky Rooster said:

CNN has nothing better to report? No wonder the world is burning.

Exactly:clap3:

Again her team paid them for the pr.

CNN is a mess and became a joke long ago.

You are not the spokesperson for her.

I never knew they were one

:coffee2:

Edited by thequeenofpopmadonna
  • Thanks 6

3e99f84efec5053a2be0d1dbfa8d78e1a784b137

I'm just wondering why we're gaslighting into thinking she's the best songwriter of her generation when, for example, Lana eats her for breakfast?

Lana also has heavy themes (much more so than Swift), but people have no problem "digesting" her music. Her album contains themes of family, religion, death, love, and society's perception of her etc. Those are not easy themes.

The problem with critics who favor Swift is that they apparently forget that a song is not just about the lyrics. A good song must have good lyrics, but also a good melody, production and vocal performance. If you want to rely exclusively on lyrics, publish a book of poetry.

And I don't like the "cohesiveness" argument.

Cohesiveness should not mean monotony. Folklore is cohesive, but "songs don't sound the same". Seven, august, this is my trying, Illicit affairs, my tears ricochet... Outstanding songs even though they are sonically and thematically cohesive.

TTPD is just a boring album (not bad, boring). And the problem is not in the audience or in the critics (although I believe that many were not objective and they evaluated Taylor Swift more than the album itself). The problem is that the lyrics are very often at the high school level, the melodies are repetitive, the production is monotonous and the vocal performance is flat.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

The delusion. TTPD is merely a low bench mark that will serve to make the next album better in reaction to it.

11 minutes ago, Mate said:

I'm just wondering why we're gaslighting into thinking she's the best songwriter of her generation when, for example, Lana eats her for breakfast?

Lana also has heavy themes (much more so than Swift), but people have no problem "digesting" her music. Her album contains themes of family, religion, death, love, and society's perception of her etc. Those are not easy themes.

The problem with critics who favor Swift is that they apparently forget that a song is not just about the lyrics. A good song must have good lyrics, but also a good melody, production and vocal performance. If you want to rely exclusively on lyrics, publish a book of poetry.

And I don't like the "cohesiveness" argument.

Cohesiveness should not mean monotony. Folklore is cohesive, but "songs don't sound the same". Seven, august, this is my trying, Illicit affairs, my tears ricochet... Outstanding songs even though they are sonically and thematically cohesive.

TTPD is just a boring album (not bad, boring). And the problem is not in the audience or in the critics (although I believe that many were not objective and they evaluated Taylor Swift more than the album itself). The problem is that the lyrics are very often at the high school level, the melodies are repetitive, the production is monotonous and the vocal performance is flat.

they do sister... tunnel was critically panned on arrival, it took until the end of year reviews to come around for people to switch. same situation as taylor; critics called it messy, unedited, self indulgent, too wordy etc. Fingertips is literally her reciting verses without a chorus... most people who listened to it whether it was fans or GP was like "this is not as instant as NFR, need more time to absorb it, it's so long and demands your investment" etc.

2 hours ago, OnlyManInTheWorld said:

It's not fast-food. It's a multi-course meal that stipulates the person sit, with undivided attention, and focus on what is before them

CNN swifties doing the most with this boring ass album :ryan: 

• Like 1

The Swifties again gaslight people into thinking Taylor's music is this kind of high art level that cannot be consumed by the mass (ironically!) :keir:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, kimberly said:

if you need time to convince yourself you like a piece of media, can it really be great?

Yes.

• Like 1

Just now, OrgVisual said:

The Swifties again gaslight people into thinking Taylor's music is this kind of high art level that cannot be consumed by the mass (ironically!) :keir:

Obvs aimed at unserious critics

5 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

they do sister... tunnel was critically panned on arrival, it took until the end of year reviews to come around for people to switch. same situation as taylor; critics called it messy, unedited, self indulgent, too wordy etc. Fingertips is literally her reciting verses without a chorus... most people who listened to it whether it was fans or GP was like "this is not as instant as NFR, need more time to absorb it, it's so long and demands your investment" etc.

Tunnel was not panned :dies: it "only" got 80 on Meta because there were no paid for 100s. Majority of the reviews are positive. Pitchfork gave it 8.3 which is nowhere near panned

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Why are they forcing this album on people?

Is it a problem if people don't like it and don't want to 'give it time'?

• Like 7

Why are people treating Taylor Sw*ft as if she is like Fiona Apple or sth :skull: The music is bad, and that's it.

• Like 10
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, Burn said:

Why are they forcing this album on people?

Is it a problem if people don't like it and don't want to 'give it time'?

Taylor needs more money to buy fuel for her private jets so she can destroy the planet faster :heart2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, liam13 said:

there's a reason why some albums with low scores have high positions on year end lists. see: Anti.

ttpd is not dance music or whatever dua lipa is doing so naturally, it'll take some times.

Exactly. Anti is a PERFECT example of this. 

I think people were expecting Taylor to drop another Anti-Hero, Cruel Summer or Is it Over Now? She didn't so instantly it's hate just for that reason alone. 

Why? Everyone else's album is reviewed upon release. Will time absolve her of being a serial cheater? Of her arrested development? Of being a graceless champion? Society need stop coddling this woman-child. :biblio:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Thumbs Down 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.