Normani - 'DOPAMINE'

zeta

So how many streams? I can't believe those -10k per track that Spotify shows IJBOL

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nooniebao

• Ethereal

• Cap87

• popularmoonlight

27 minutes ago, drip drop said:

i only know motivation, and i love it so much. should i give this album a chance?

yes, it's great music! 

13 hours ago, Supervillain said:

Imagine calling Normani the laziest member when Ally & Dinah exist :rip: 

Not true. Have you been following Ally? Gurly went from doing Pop to doing spanish music to acting to producing podcast, to authoring a book, to releasing  christmas EP, changed labels several times. Don't do her like that, she's hustling.

• Like 5

Wait so there's no physicals and nothing debuted on spotify? :dancehall: RCA not doing anything to promote this album is pissing me off because what is the point of a major label if you're not going to promote your artist? They are definitely going to part ways after this album lol she deserves better

• Like 2

This album is great. All Yours is top tier stuff.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

So how many streams? I can't believe those -10k per track that Spotify shows IJBOL

Those are just the partial streams from Thursday to Friday. :laugh: It never updated for the full streams. I don't know what's taking so long today.

Why are people in here talking about 5h members? I don't think any of them are lazy btw.  :toofunny2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Arts not the charts. This is an excellent body of work, so **** the numbers. We don't care.

• Like 1

I have to give it another listen but I liked several tracks. Her team and label screwed her over. No video with any of the new songs...? :rip:

4 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

I hear you, but it's kinda tricky terrain. 

I'm Team Mani first and foremost, but context is key. 

(I'm not sure how accurate the self-funded aspect of Wild Side thing is as Mani herself said Cardi's scene, in light of her last-minute verse, ramped up the budget in a way that made the label antsy. Indicating they paid for it or at least a significant portion). 

That said, assuming she paid out of pocket or sourced sponsorships to "fund most of" the cost, she shared that it was a 1 million dollar video. It watches like one, but at the same time can we fault RCA for not splashing that kind of budget on what ultimately functions as a "new act"? They probably weren't even spending that on a Doja at the time. 

Laying out all the elements on the table, I get the sense that there's a kind of impasse/conflict in approach between Mani and the label.

She IS and wants to present as a premium talent, so would sooner blow her likely-limited budget on immaculate output (e.g. Wild Side, Motivation videos). Probably at the expense of what budgets are usually used for (like "decent enough" videos, playlisting, radio, etc). The label, by contrast, are fiscally minded and will be looking at a return on investment for the most part. So probably aren't in line with what to them is a "spend spend spend" mantra from Mani. it's not like she's even tried and proven on the live circuit and making them buckets of $$$ back via festivals or brand deals (assuming she's on a 360 deal). So, much as I hate to say it, from this view, I kind of "get" the label's positioning too.

I literally have friends who work at labels, so have really brought me up to speed on how project budgets work interally. Literally on a campaign, single, and video level. And upon doing so, Mani was the first person that came to mind about how and why things (at that time) were at a standstill. 

It's jarring in a way because she's a talent that a label should go above and beyond with. Even if it means working the campaign at a $$$ loss in looking at the long-term benefits of what she "could" become for them e.g. a superstar. It's even more jarring when realizing that labels will do it for less talented acts (sorry, but an early Rihanna, for example). Essentially, pumping crazy $$$$ into the push til it catches and starts making $$$$ on its own accord.

Thankfully for Normani, the response feels great and I hope that at the very least) can translate into something. Either commercially or in terms of pivot to being more a critic's darling (which is an angle every label today likes to have with a handful of their artists).

I think this post captures what I feel as well. I don't think we can fully just blame RCA on the album's severe lack of performance. Wished Normani just hustled like how any other debut artiste would have, and build up from there. Right now it feels difficult to see how she'll gain momentum after so many delays, the lack of any push on debut week, and even the lack of MVs or performances.. not even debuting a single song on Spotify charts is very worrying. 

Spotify — 2,841,558

Big Boy ft. Starrah 283 178
Still 231 594
All Yours 496 679
Lights On 213 212
Take My Time 188 072
Insomnia 202 489
Candy Paint 297 471
Grip 147 706
1:59 ft. Gunna 188 782
Distance 131 391
Tantrums ft. James Blake 170 815
Little Secrets 126 862
Wild Side ft. Cardi B 163 307
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ethereal said:

Arts not the charts. This is an excellent body of work, so **** the numbers. We don't care.

We kinda need the charts a bit cuz we need another album :lakitu:

• Haha 3

Just now, ToraeGilt said:

Ddd I really do wonder what happens from here though.

1 minute ago, Nefertiti0 said:

Spotify — 2,841,558

Big Boy ft. Starrah 283 178
Still 231 594
All Yours 496 679
Lights On 213 212
Take My Time 188 072
Insomnia 202 489
Candy Paint 297 471
Grip 147 706
1:59 ft. Gunna 188 782
Distance 131 391
Tantrums ft. James Blake 170 815
Little Secrets 126 862
Wild Side ft. Cardi B 163 307

All Yours is definitely the next push

1 minute ago, ToraeGilt said:

It's. been. ONE. day.

• Like 4

Just now, EnoughSaid said:

All Yours is definitely the next push

Well, it benefited greatly from being the New Music Friday song.

• Like 1

Just now, nooniebao said:

Well, it benefited greatly from being the New Music Friday song.

It's also the best performing song on AM and was a clear favorite from most persons once the album dropped 

• Like 1

I actually adore the album but the Spotify numbers are basically the result of not catering to the part of her base/casual fans who know her from 5H/her pop collabs. Like, there's no BIG pop song (preferably an uptempo) that some folks have been complaining about for years. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, _jays_ said:

It's. been. ONE. day.

What does that have to do with my response? Quickly

favs: insomnia, all yours, tantrums, wild side, big boy

• Like 5

Just now, ToraeGilt said:

What does that have to do with my response? Quickly

It means don't worry about them and just stream the music.

quick enough for you? She's not getting dropped.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

I actually adore the album but the Spotify numbers are basically the result of not catering to the part of her base/casual fans who know her from 5H/her pop collabs. Like, there's no BIG pop song (preferably an uptempo) that some folks have been complaining about for years. 

I disagree. It's her lack of presence and consistency in releasing material. Because the album is being well received by the persons who actually listened, both pop and non pop fans

Edited by ToraeGilt
  • Like 4

the spotify numbers :rip: 

thank god I do not listen to music just because of streams. still THE best 2024 album for me! 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ToraeGilt said:

I mean realistically RCA has people who don't chart at all :laugh:. Tems released an album last week and I don't think it chart on Billboard at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, remming said:

I mean realistically RCA has people who don't chart at all :laugh:. Tems released an album last week and I don't think it chart on Billboard at all.

Right, and Chloe's album only did 2 million in its first 24 hours on Spotify, despite having multiple music videos and promos, and she's still getting a second album. Normani will be fine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.