Normani - 'DOPAMINE'

zeta

14 minutes ago, Gossip_Boy said:

RCA is always late with physicals when it comes to R&B artists.

SZA - SOS
Bryson Tiller - Bryson Tiller
Doja Cat - Scarlet
Steve Lacy - Gemini Rights
Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales
H.E.R - Back Of My Mind
Chris Brown - 11:11

Are some recent examples of records that didn't have physicals on release (at least not vinyl, not sure about cds, but barely anyone buys those anyway).

planet her didnt have vinyls until a year later either

• Like 4

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nooniebao

• Ethereal

• Cap87

• popularmoonlight

Obsessed with Grip at the moment. Such a fun, catchy chorus lol.

1:59 was arguably the worst comeback single choice. I wonder if it was her choice or the label's.

I think she could have a cute moment at the Grammys. Not a win, but nomination and performance maybe would be so fire 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scandalous said:

this is a pretty great debut for her. i do wish it had 1 or 2 more Take My Times tho, she does that vibe SO well

I'm so glad you're saying that because she and her fans say her voice fit rnb better but I think she sounds beautiful on pop and dance records. For example, If It Ain't Me with Dua, Slow Down and Dancing With A Stranger 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

1:59 was arguably the worst comeback single choice. I wonder if it was her choice or the label's.

It's weird because as an album track, I think 1:59 is great and I've actually come to appreciate it more within the context of the album (and I was already one of its biggest defenders to begin with). But yeah, in hindsight, it's a very odd single choice since I wouldn't say it's especially memorable. Big Boy, All Yours, Lights On, Take My Time, Insomnia and Little Secrets all would have left a bigger impression on the public. 

It really feels like they just assumed the Gunna feature would single-handedly carry it on Apple Music and Urban radio, so it was the "safe" choice.

• Like 6

Normani should do cute handmade CD-rs and sign them, cause at this point, it's prob the only way we're getting CDs. 

10 minutes ago, Delusional said:

I think she could have a cute moment at the Grammys. Not a win, but nomination and performance maybe would be so fire 

I agree completely

Tbh I really dont think this album is going to "flop" — no it's not going to debut high on the charts but I think it's going to have really good legs and get her a level of respect with the types of music fans that actually buy music and have longer term cultural influence (IYKYK) vs fickle pop fans who will drop her at a moments notice

• Like 2

Yeah, I really can't think of a time where a teased snippet far exceeded my expectations upon release like Big Boy did lol.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, shelven said:

It's weird because as an album track, I think 1:59 is great and I've actually come to appreciate it more within the context of the album (and I was already one of its biggest defenders to begin with). But yeah, in hindsight, it's a very odd single choice since I wouldn't say it's especially memorable. Big Boy, All Yours, Lights On, Take My Time, Insomnia and Little Secrets all would have left a bigger impression on the public. 

It really feels like they just assumed the Gunna feature would single-handedly carry it on Apple Music and Urban radio, so it was the "safe" choice.

1:59 doesn't pack the punch needed for a lead single. It's an ok song, but certainly not lead single material.

And Gunna, for all his recent success, is still in a weird spot within the community.

I'm tired of labels pairing our R&B girls with rappers / male acts and thinking that this is going to generate a major boost. Their fans don't care about them featuring on a woman's song.

It didn't work for Tinashe 10 years ago (Chr*s Br*wn, Young Thug, Future etc.), it didn't work for Chloé more recently (Chr*s Br*wn, Future, Gunna), so what made them think it was gonna do anything for Normani?

• Like 4

LET ME UP :katie2: 

LET ME UPGRADE YA SHIIT :katie2: 

2 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

I hear you, but it's kinda tricky terrain. 

I'm Team Mani first and foremost, but context is key. 

(I'm not sure how accurate the self-funded aspect of Wild Side thing is as Mani herself said Cardi's scene, in light of her last-minute verse, ramped up the budget in a way that made the label antsy. Indicating they paid for it or at least a significant portion). 

That said, assuming she paid out of pocket or sourced sponsorships to "fund most of" the cost, she shared that it was a 1 million dollar video. It watches like one, but at the same time can we fault RCA for not splashing that kind of budget on what ultimately functions as a "new act"? They probably weren't even spending that on a Doja at the time. 

Laying out all the elements on the table, I get the sense that there's a kind of impasse/conflict in approach between Mani and the label.

She IS and wants to present as a premium talent, so would sooner blow her likely-limited budget on immaculate output (e.g. Wild Side, Motivation videos). Probably at the expense of what budgets are usually used for (like "decent enough" videos, playlisting, radio, etc). The label, by contrast, are fiscally minded and will be looking at a return on investment for the most part. So probably aren't in line with what to them is a "spend spend spend" mantra from Mani. it's not like she's even tried and proven on the live circuit and making them buckets of $$$ back via festivals or brand deals (assuming she's on a 360 deal). So, much as I hate to say it, from this view, I kind of "get" the label's positioning too.

I literally have friends who work at labels, so have really brought me up to speed on how project budgets work interally. Literally on a campaign, single, and video level. And upon doing so, Mani was the first person that came to mind about how and why things (at that time) were at a standstill. 

It's jarring in a way because she's a talent that a label should go above and beyond with. Even if it means working the campaign at a $$$ loss in looking at the long-term benefits of what she "could" become for them e.g. a superstar. It's even more jarring when realizing that labels will do it for less talented acts (sorry, but an early Rihanna, for example). Essentially, pumping crazy $$$$ into the push til it catches and starts making $$$$ on its own accord.

Thankfully for Normani, the response feels great and I hope that at the very least) can translate into something. Either commercially or in terms of pivot to being more a critic's darling (which is an angle every label today likes to have with a handful of their artists).

Only thing Normani can pivot is to continue being a celebrity and influencer. She's a beauty and has web presence, which means the cash inflow will definitely be there for her if she makes herself present. IF she wants her music career to stick she needs to follow this album up in the next two years. Fans will have enough to bite here for a while and they deserve it after the long wait. She can use small tours (or maybe opening again for some bigger R&B artist). Maybe Link up with other up and coming artists, especially female. Link up with Chloe, Tyla, Coco, Revyn, etc She feels very insular in comparison to the rest of the scene. It's clear RCA ain't pouring any money in this project and they don't expect much from it either. She tends to prioritize visuals with her budget so I wonder when we will get visuals for this album, because we only got the teaser trailer and wild side 

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Thumbs Down 2

She needs to drop some visuals to bring up the hype a little! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ciara said:

She needs to drop some visuals to bring up the hype a little! 

Agreed! This project is quality and could serve longevity if they play it right. I'm not bothered about a bad debut. 

• Like 1

I need some time with this album I'm loving how cohesive it is. Big Boy, Still and All Yours are instant standouts. Love that she started the album off strong :jamming: Still might be  my favorite Normani song ever :jonnycat: one of her best yet

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Supervillain said:

Imagine calling Normani the laziest member when Ally & Dinah exist :rip: 

Ally might not be successful like Camila and Normani but she has been working nonstop. When Normani was nowhere to be seen Ally was working. Just because you obviously don't keep up with her and she isn't in the mainstream it does not mean she is lazy. She's probably the most hardworking out of all the girls. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sabandija said:

'Take My Time' feels so Ariana Grande coded.

The way it's creeping into my top 3 :WAP:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.