Cardi B claims homosexuality can be caused by assault, "not everybody is born gay"

FOCK

Cardi B has made a wild claim that sexual assault between people of the same sex can turn people gay.

Speaking on Instagram Live, Cardi offered her controversial thoughts on homosexuality after watching the Netflix drama-thriller Baby Reindeer.

"I believe there's some men that are born gay. I have a cousin that I just knew since he was two years old he was gay. And there's men that get sexually assaulted then they find out they are gay. People are always going to be judgmental, people are always going to not accept them. Sometimes people don't even know their story or how they got there."

She continued: "Not everybody is born gay. You see in that episode, the guy, he was straight. And he got raped and he started going through these emotions of identity. He started having crazy sex with women, he started having crazy sex with men. He just wanted to identify what he likes, all because he got sexually assaulted."

Video & article

The character on Baby Reindeer never identifies as gay, if anything, he's pansexual. The character was also abused by his female stalker. To associate sexuality with abuse is a highly controversial & contested matter. 

UPDATE:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sawk

• FOCK

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• noise

It's "amazing" that all you take from a show that is deeply concerned with mental illness and the trauma of abuse is "SA = homosexuality". I don't think she comes from a place of hatred with this, but it's very uneducated regardless. Not only in regards to gay people in general, it also stigmatizes men who become victims of abuse.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, cuteboyzay said:

What she said was literally the definition of 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Yes people are born Gay, but adding the assault stuff is just strange. Str8 people sometimes really DON'T understand. 

Why is it that people have to think in these two DRASTIC extremes in order to explain/define why people are Gay? There's so many reasons why people become of aware of their sexuality, it doesn't always have to be because of f*cking assault. And this was all based off of her observation from a SHOW (an amazing one at that). Annoying af. 

This was my take away, sexual awakening can occur in a variety of ways. It's counterproductive and problematic territory when you assert that an individual would otherwise not "be gay" or have varied sexual experiences, but for their assault. 

• Like 3

Personally, I think one's gay journey is different for everyone. Some gays just knew it from the get go, while some gays only begins to realize it much much later on

Anyway, this mentality is dangerous because it makes it seem like all gay people were a product of abuse

• Like 6

Why is she even talking about this? Nobody cares about her music so she's just rambling about random stuff she has no idea about? And she's being very unsensitive about this too...

I don't think she meant harm but the way she articulates is just...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I wish Straight people would stop speaking. I really do...

• Like 9

I don't know if she deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I think she is trying to be open-minded and progressive, to the point where it goes back to sounding very ignorant and problematic.

People can sometimes have misconstrued views, we don't need to attack her for this yall. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FOCK said:

This was my take away, sexual awakening can occur in a variety of ways. It's counterproductive and problematic territory when you assert that an individual would otherwise not "be gay" or have varied sexual experiences, but for their assault. 

Exactly! And I really wish this was talked about more tbh. It's the same stuff you here from a lot of religious individuals just so they can perpetuate a negative narrative about Gay people.

Some sexual awakenings as an adult are great experiences, and everytime a Str8 person thinks the way Cardi thinks they're doing so much damage without even knowing. It's kinda crazy tbh :deadbanana2:

Watching the video, I don't think she meant this in a malicious way, she seems to be trying to empathise with/understand what the character was going through. The problem is, this isn't really something she's speaking about from a place of knowledge or experience, so she's coming across as quite ignorant.

Maybe there is a conversation to be had around the impact of sexual assault on your sexuality and sexual preferences, but that's a conversation for those impacted by it or people who work in that field to have.

The way she described the sexual assault was so crass though my god :toofunny2:

• Like 2

I do sometimes wonder if abusers and pedophiles target boys and young men who show signs of being gay, even if they're not out yet? Maybe they're more likely to come across as vulnerable or easier to take advantage of?

I feel like myself and other gay men have far more stories of being harassed by men than straight men I know do, even outside of the context of gay dating, just by random strangers

• Like 2

She's such a bigoted idiot

• Like 2

"I have a cousin that I just knew since he was two years old he was gay"

• Haha 3

Watching the video, she didn't say anything malicious. People can be curious and study and theorize on a topic as long as it's not done with malicious intents. Origin of how homosexuality occurs is an interesting topic, I would love to know why I'm gay. I never was abused, people could tell I was a fruity from a young age dahlinggg

• Confused 1

What a strange post. What is she trying to achieve? And why is she only focusing on homosexuality? In many conservative countries, homosexual men are forced into heterosexual relationships and even father children. Maybe she should watch a documentary on this subject too. Homosexual men can also be victims of sexual violence. Will our men then become heterosexual?

• Like 1

dance moms shut the fuck up GIF by RealityTVGIFs

The stupidity that comes out of her mouth just keeps getting worse. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.