Taylor Swift is proof that how we critique music is broken

liam13

1 hour ago, lonnie said:

Abolish scores. Enough of this nonsense. Crying because of a 77 score is insane 

So crying over a 77 is insane yet the metacritic thread full of her second base gagging over every negative snippet is normal and healthy? I guess so since none of you seem to care about your own faves

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• liam13

• Peroxide

• Michael196

• jonapova

1 hour ago, jonapova said:

She clearly didn't otherwise she would have been arrested by now. But you know that right? Or do you genuinely believe she held me at gunpoint? 

Well that's what your previous post insinuated, otherwise I don't find a logical reason for someone to unwillingly do something they're not enjoying, especially when it comes to this kind of situation…

2 hours ago, Peroxide said:

For an album that's as rich, dense and lyrically ambitious as TTPD

:rip:

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

So crying over a 77 is insane yet the metacritic thread full of her second base gagging over every negative snippet is normal and healthy? I guess so since none of you seem to care about your own faves

The whataboutism. :deadbanana2: The behaviours from both camps are v questionable at best. 

Edited by Kiel D-01

Just now, Michael196 said:

Well that's what your previous post insinuated, otherwise I don't find a logical reason for someone to unwillingly do something they're not enjoying, especially when it comes to this kind of situation…

I'd have to listen to an album to base an opinion on it :huh: That's what this thread is about. 

1 minute ago, Kiel D-01 said:

The whataboutism. :deadbanana2: Both behaviours from both camps are v questionable at best. 

Well one camp made the metacritic thread the most posted thread of the week so one camp is quite a lot louder than the other, the one that actually cares about the artist in question

Edited by Redstreak
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, cuteboyzay said:

Oh God no.

All of this for a 77 score too! Please accept the fact that Taylor Swift needed this wake up call. Her fans and their constant Yes man mentality is what's holding back her potential and I HOPE y'all see that soon. Stop enabling her!:deadbanana2:

I don't think Taylor is gonna wake up anytime soon though. She's incessantly posting every 100-scored reviews on her Twitter and IG…not even the other ones that scored it lower…the mentality she and the swifties have is downright embarrassing.

Edited by Crank_It_Up
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joaco95 said:

:rip:

Girl you can hate it if you want but saying the album is lyrically dense is… * checks notes * kinda true?

• Like 1

An anonymous staff writer for Paste Magazine — whose byline was excluded for "safety" reasons — began the publication's review with the jab that "Sylvia Plath did not stick her head in an oven for this!" It took nearly 700 words to get to the substance of the album itself. If you're willing to launch a litany of petty, exclamation-pointed digs at an artist — "2013 called and it wants it capricious, suburban girl-who-is-taking-a-gap-year wig back!"— at least have the decency to put your name on it.

Oh it was bad for PEST magazine :ahh:

• Like 2

The album is mid and it is not that deep that you need a year to understand and appreciate it.

The production and melodies are flat and the lyrics are not as complex as her fans want us to believe. Deal with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

30 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

What do you think the expression "take a fortnight" means in this case? It's always the dumbest and most stupidest people that are the first to call others illiterate :rip: 

'Most stupidest', anyway…

next time ask for an explanation from the beginning.

So… 'Fortnight' means 'Two weeks', and the point of the article is that one can't form a proper and real opinion of an album without really setting with it for a while and listening to it multiple times, not that critics should stop reviewing albums for good.

Edited by Michael196

19 minutes ago, Crank_It_Up said:

I don't think Taylor is gonna wake up anytime soon though. She's incessantly posting every 100-scored reviews on her Twitter and IG…not even the other ones that scored it lower…the mentality she and the swifties have is downright embarrassing.

It's sad af to hear because they truly are stagnating her artistic choices and growth if they keep just agreeing with her. Even tho everyone else is saying "Girl give us more, we know you have it in you". Her fans should be the first to encourage and give her confidence to push the needle and yet it seems impossible for some of them. 

Edited by cuteboyzay

34 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

most stupidest

AHSHDHDHAGAGGAGAHDBDBDJSJSJJAJAJAJAJAJAJA :ahh:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

It's 2024, we don't need "critics" anymore. with streaming anyone can listen to the music and make their own opinions. With that said, I'd trust user reviews more than these paid people who think are the most important part of music

that's like saying we don't need "books" anymore because we have netflix. art and art criticism are different mediums. art criticism isn't intended to give you a pre-formed opinion for you to take on. its meant to enrich your understanding, add context, make you think critically about your assumptions, see other perspectives. some critics are bad, just like some artists are bad, but rejecting the practice of criticism is really vapid stan brain'd stuff. 

Edited by teresaguidice
  • Like 2

Machete

That biased article only focusing on the negative reviews when the 100s are just as bad.

Also, my god a 77 on MC is causing this meltdown? How did people survive pre-poptimism :deadbanana4:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

A 77 score is a good score. Poptism or whatever movement it is has rotted your minds, in no world is a 77 score bad. And I haven't "rejoiced" or "gagged" over Taylor getting this score, I personally believe she deserves a lower score, somewhere in the 60s but I wouldn't rejoice over it because it's not the most important thing here. What's most important is genuine criticism period. No needless rave or scathing reviews, just genuine reviews that aren't fueled by kissing ass or wanting to "own" a popstar you dislike. I remember well enough when this 77 score would have been among the highest rated albums for a popstar and maybe we should go back to those days because stans and faves alike have become obsessed with 80+ ratings.  Taylor posting critics and reviews on her pages as well as her stans crying for over a day over a bad review is all cringe and unhinged behaviour. You got a mid album that's done very well commercially and gotten an overall good score critically, take it and be happy :rip:

4 minutes ago, lonnie said:

A 77 score is a good score. Poptism or whatever movement it is has rotted your minds, in no world is a 77 score bad. And I haven't "rejoiced" or "gagged" over Taylor getting this score, I personally believe she deserves a lower score, somewhere in the 60s but I wouldn't rejoice over it because it's not the most important thing here. What's most important is genuine criticism period. No needless rave or scathing reviews, just genuine reviews that aren't fueled by kissing ass or wanting to "own" a popstar you dislike. I remember well enough when this 77 score would have been among the highest rated albums for a popstar and maybe we should go back to those days because stans and faves alike have become obsessed with 80+ ratings.  Taylor posting critics and reviews on her pages as well as her stans crying for over a day over a bad review is all cringe and unhinged behaviour. You got a mid album that's done very well commercially and gotten an overall good score critically, take it and be happy :rip:

No? Talk **** get hit :michael:

Agree at some extend. As a swiftie i hated the album at first. 

Then i took time. Dissected every lyric and stories behind. Listened in a grey overcast day, so the mood matched the album theme :giraffe: have a newfound love for it.  Is hard to grasp but the stories are entertaining. A very sad album. Like a folklore cousin but different.

Still....the jack antonoff backlash is justified. The album could have been more experimental. Taylor is that point where she needs it
His brand of synthpop is gettin stale. Taylor is in a comfort zone sonic wise
People are askin for more experimentation next. It can be dance music-pop rock-reggae....something else. :gaycat4:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

How someone as dull and dreary as Taylor Swift who's songwriting is predictable and monotonous as you can get inspires such conversations will always fascinate me.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Even Pitchfork gave a separate lower rating for the Anthology edition but totally glossed over it in their write up, giving you no actual reason why they ranked it lower.

I believe their "lower" rating is for the whole package, not the second half. They're pretty clear in their criticism -- it's bloated.

Swift the workhorse, Swift the beacon of capitalism, Swift on a never-ending conveyor belt between the stage and the studio. This is the Swift that brings us The Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology, maximally bloated with 15 (15!) additional songs. Those that stand out mostly do so for the wrong reasons: There's the one that borrows its premise from Olivia Rodrigo, but executes it less skillfully; the one where Swift dwells on her resentment toward Kim Kardashian; the one with that weird lyric about racism in the 1830s. This data-dump release strategy is not at all unique to Swift; it's a concession to the modern music economy, which incentivizes artists to batch as many songs as possible, in as many packages as possible, to juice streams and sales. I look back fondly on the more modest tactics of "Our Song," the last track on Swift's debut, where she literally sang "play it again" in the final chorus.

Oh... Reviews mention more her life and her public image than her actual music? 

Welcome to real life y'all. I know some of you were born yesterday but this has been going on, specially for females, since forever.

The greatest example of this is Madonna. 

This poptimism has really ****** up your perception of things.

3 minutes ago, Miracle Whip said:

How someone as dull and dreary as Taylor Swift who's songwriting is predictable and monotonous as you can get inspires such conversations will always fascinate me.

That's precisely why she inspires conversation. People are just surprised at the gulf of how little she actually has to offer and the magnitude of her commercial success. But it does seem like the mass delusion is starting to dissipate, at least on the part of the critics.

• Thumbs Down 1

17 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

That's precisely why she inspires conversation. People are just surprised at the gulf of how little she actually has to offer and the magnitude of her commercial success. But it does seem like the mass delusion is starting to dissipate, at least on the part of the critics.

Baby cakes, she's 18 years into her career… the love fans have for Taylor is practically unbreakable.

And her legacy isn't going to get tarnished just because she's omnipresent… the same thing happened back in 2015/2016 and it was much worse back then.

Edited by Peroxide
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, liam13 said:

-1x-1.png

You know what should take a fortnight? Album reviews. - Bloomberg

Hide contents

The way we digest new music needs to be fixed.

Within less than 24 hours of Taylor Swift's release of The Tortured Poets Department and her surprise anthology, the internet was flooded with an inescapable number of reviews. In the New York Times, Lindsay Zoladz said Swift's 11th LP is "sprawling and often self-indulgent" and "full of detailed, referential lyrics that her fans will delight in decoding." But as a long-time admirer of Swift, I have to ask: Where's the "delight" in staying up until dawn to finish listening to an album as if it's a college paper we're cramming to complete by the morning?

And it's not only the professionals causing the shift. Review culture goes far beyond opinions from music critics now. In the age of half-baked hot takes on online forums, anyone with a smartphone can word-vomit their thoughts into the ether. Many hope they get picked up by the algorithm. To avoid spoilers, fans (or just curious listeners) either have to shun media entirely or digest new music immediately — which is like inhaling a whole cheeseburger in one bite. There's no chance to savor it. No time to even taste it. And quite frankly, it's exhausting.

Hide contents

An anonymous staff writer for Paste Magazine — whose byline was excluded for "safety" reasons — began the publication's review with the jab that "Sylvia Plath did not stick her head in an oven for this!" It took nearly 700 words to get to the substance of the album itself. If you're willing to launch a litany of petty, exclamation-pointed digs at an artist — "2013 called and it wants it capricious, suburban girl-who-is-taking-a-gap-year wig back!"— at least have the decency to put your name on it.

In the Atlantic, Spencer Kornhaber said Swift is "having quality-control issues," echoing other publications like the New York Times, which said that Swift "could use an editor. " But consider the irony of saying that in a review that was released not 12 hours after the album. Likewise, Rolling Stone's Rob Sheffield labeled it an "INSTANT CLASSIC" and called it "wildly ambitious." You're telling me you've fully digested a two-hour double album of 31 songs in that amount of time? Such quick determinations discredit the nature of both plaudits and criticisms.

I wholeheartedly agree with this article.

Thoughts?

Girl. What simpleton wrote this article? They get the album in advance. DUH.

The more troubling thing with reviews and with journalism in general is that publications only care about clicks, access, and profit. So not only do they not give fair album reviews, they don't hold government officials and CEOs accountable as they should. They don't actually report the facts, they only report what their audience wants to hear so they can keep making money. 

Edited by awesomepossum
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

20 minutes ago, Peroxide said:

Baby cakes, she's 18 years into her career… the love fans have for Taylor is practically unbreakable.

And her legacy isn't going to get tarnished just because she's omnipresent… the same thing happened back in 2015/2016 and it was much worse back then.

Was it worse back then? At least her albums were good at that time.

Edited by awesomepossum

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.