Is THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT the clear frontrunner for Album of the Year now?

KatyPrismSpirit

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• liam13

• KatyPrismSpirit

• ScorpiosGroove

• Burn

3 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Midnights was better than this album tho:coffee: And 2023 was Taylor's year. Pop culturally, musically, touring wise. Winning AOTY for Midnights was always a given (the only real competition was SZA and SOS isnt "grammy material" music)

I think Taylor might have a very hard time beating Beyoncé and Billie. 

midnights is a pop album so ofc its gonna be better for you

and whose do you think 2024 is if not taylor again?

Taylor winning 5 AOTY while Mariah has just 5 dumb grammys in total would be a total scandal. Especially when the latter is a good writer, good singer, good producer and a good performer. She is a legend in all those fields but whatever. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Virgos Groove said:

If she didn't win for ST, Lem or Renaissance (or, hell, even a legacy win for Homecoming), it's pretty clear it's never hapenning at this point.

Idk, CC feels like something that Grammy voters would like

If it doesn't win, then yeah she's never taking it

Honestly, she might not this time.

People assume the best selling artists win but that's not always the case. Eminem didn't win AOTY for Recovery even though it was the best selling album of 2010. 

The Dixie Chicks won it over the likes of Justin Timberlake in 2006.

And Ray Charles won it over Usher in 2005. 

And Beck won it over every mainstream act in 2014. 

2 minutes ago, liam13 said:

And TTPD is what, a rap-rock album? :deadbanana4:

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Haha 5

If Midnights hadn't won the year just before, there's no doubt in my mind that Tortured Poets would have won. 

Edited by Klein

billie will take it, shes grammy-darling-er than taylor

:ryan3:

1 minute ago, Virgos Groove said:

right? im confused lol.

3 minutes ago, liam13 said:

and whose do you think 2024 is if not taylor again?

I think its between Beyoncé, Billie or Taylor Swift. If not them then a khia act

2 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

alt pop and folk, espresso the anthology version.

Next years Grammys will be one for the books because all outcomes will be messy. Taylor winning would just be insulting. Beyoncé winning would be seen as a pity award and not just that, it would also prove a point that catering to a whiter genre/audience is likely her only chance of winning. If she loses, Jay's speech this year would come back to bite. Billie winning like she's the white H.E.R. Ratings are gonna be massive.

:suburban:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

It probably will win. Even tho it's Taylor's most mid album

• Like 1

It's an amazing album but they won't give it to her twice in a row.  I also wish that this was her 4th AOTY instead of Midnights, but oh well.  Hopefully COWBOY CARTER wins it.

4 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I think its between Beyoncé, Billie or Taylor Swift. If not them then a khia act

beyonce had it for two-three weeks, lets not. :suburban:

billie is not having a bigger year than taylor when eras tour will start again in 3 weeks.

21 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Tbh the backlash if Taylor wins a fifth Album of the Year before Beyoncé wins even one Grammy for AOTY will be absolutely insane. I think the hate will be crazy

It's gonna be a mess either way. If Taylor wins there will be backlash of her being overawarded. If Beyoncé wins people will claim she only got it because of Jay's speech.

I think they'll give it to someone like Billie who would be an uncontroversial choice.

3 minutes ago, Starshine said:

Next years Grammys will be one for the books because all outcomes will be messy. Taylor winning would just be insulting. Beyoncé winning would be seen as a pity award and not just that, it would also prove a point that catering to a whiter genre/audience is likely her only chance of winning. If she loses, Jay's speech this year would come back to bite. Billie winning like she's the white H.E.R. Ratings are gonna be massive.

:suburban:

Completely agree, this internet will be a MESS, unless they give it to someone unknown. 

28 minutes ago, terrorblade said:

if billie katy and gaga tank yes

pls as if they're serious contenders 😭 they won't even be nominated

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, liam13 said:

beyonce had it for two-three weeks, lets not. :suburban:

billie is not having a bigger year than taylor when eras tour will start again in 3 weeks.

True but Billie is adored by the Grammys. She's literally the white H.E.R. 

Finneas is also very well liked so if her album (which is only ten tracks and likely more cohesive than the bloated HTE) she has a big chance to win.

It's either TTPD or CC until Xtina drops

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Peroxide said:

I think Bey will get it - and I honestly want her to even though I much, much prefer TTPD to Cowboy Carter.

Kind of agree. I love TTPD more than Cowboy Carter but Beyoncé is incredibly overdue at this point. Give her the damn award!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Midnights was better than this album tho:coffee: And 2023 was Taylor's year. Pop culturally, musically, touring wise. Winning AOTY for Midnights was always a given (the only real competition was SZA and SOS isnt "grammy material" music)

I think Taylor might have a very hard time beating Beyoncé and Billie. 

The **** are you talking about? :rip: The Grammys eat the 'songwriter!1!' shtick up and SZA's lyrics are completely self-written (barring the songs where she has sampled other music and credits those artists appropriately). By the Grammys own metric, SZA should have won based on the fact that she wrote the album herself, it was critically acclaimed, commercially successful (10 weeks at #1, two monster smashes). The only reason she didn't win is because they hate Black artists.

A Black woman hasn't won AOTY in almost 30 years btw. 

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

True but Billie is adored by the Grammys. She's literally the white H.E.R. 

Finneas is also very well liked so if her album (which is only ten tracks and likely more cohesive than the bloated HTE) she has a big chance to win.

yep. i think billie will win too.

her or ava max :suburban:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, R.E.M. said:

The **** are you talking about? :rip: A Black woman hasn't won AOTY in almost 30 years btw. 

I know but the Grammys want you to believe the facade that they are traditional and have a certain prestige. They prefer albums that are either incredibly cohesive or rather short. And they don't award music that is considered too offensive or explicit in the general field. Thats what I meant. Not the fact that the album wasn't a big success.

• Thumbs Down 1

Either Taylor is winning or a non commercial album from a nobody.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.