Why does Beyoncé never sell as much as Taylor?

GardenPanty

Beyoncé is far more polarizing and made urban music for the most part of her lucrative career. Urban music is not as popular as pure pop and never has been. Even Usher's huge diamond-selling album struggled to do the same outside of the US. It's just how it is.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• futuresuperstar2023

• The 1

• Lose My Breath

• Josh

1 hour ago, Rotunda said:

Here's an interesting (and honestly very measured podcast) about how Taylor Swift has been able to kinda be and stay emblematic of (White) Girlhood from her teenage years and into her 30s. 

It also touches on why Taylor Swift is able to operate from that perpetual Girl Next Door position in a way that other white women aren't. 

@The 1 @Josh  - I know the title is a bit incendiary/antagonistic but the guest has a lot of interest insights that I think y'all may find interesting. It also touches on my point about there being an absence of a Black Girl Next Door.

Thank you for that podcast. Very informative :clap3:

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:17 AM, GardenPanty said:

A lot of people would say Beyoncé is the biggest pop star in the world.

Nothing agaisnt Bee but who said so? I mean, Taylor is there.

• Like 1

I like both so I don't have a horse in this race.

So I think it's cause Taylor is very comitted to constantly give their fans new material to a degree no other MPG does.

She also sticks to similar sounds between albums, unlike Beyonce.

On 4/19/2024 at 3:12 AM, Queenyoncee said:

Katy, Gaga, Britney are all far more "controversial" than someone like Taylor Swift please 

Right? As if Taylor has seen even 50% of the backlash Britney and Gaga endured during their primes, let alone hate train eras. :rip:

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:10 AM, Lose My Breath said:

Yikes....

Thank GOD she doesn't stifle her creativity for "relatable easy sound albums". 

I can't believe I'm reading people make an argument for commercial fodder albums deserving to win the AOTY Grammy over innovative efforts that push the boundaries of music and reshape pop culture :skull: What has Taylor brought us to...

Edited by Blackout2006
  • Thanks 1

She is white

America likes safeness and what's more safe than a blonde white girl with blue eyes and doesn't have a stance on anything remotely political? The safest artist music has ever seen. 

Beyonce is probably the most polarizing female artist after Madonna. And she is enormously successful despite this. 

Taylor is harmless and as vanilla as it gets. There's nothing wrong or bad with it, it just makes it easier to relate with. 

• Thumbs Down 1

This thread still being open this long :deadbanana2: am surprised. The biggest kii is that a damn user with Kim Petras shaking her **** on stage is the one that is responsible for getting Bey dragged like this :bibliahh:

Beyonce fans have jobs, hobbies, lives.

Taylor's fanbase consists of 14 year girls who have nothing else to do but stream her music and beg mom & dad for money to buy multiple copies of the same album. The other part of her fanbase are millennials with developmental behaviors  like their fave who are mentally stuck in high school who spend their income on buying multiple copies of her album because they think Taylor personally cares about them :thing:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Her fifth and sixth album's were not as universally relatable or digestible to key demographics (as she had been previously), which led to her shedding core segments of her previous audience resulting in a loss of market penetration and momentum.

Edited by Dante Silva

I'd rather have Beyonce selling 400k 27 years into her career with a classic album that just stands out than a 2m opener with a bunch of leftovers from midnights sessions that no one will remember in a few years time.  (Other than swifties who will claim even Taylor's farts are the best) 

y'all so crazy about numbers, but you forget about the QUALITY! :gaycat5:

• Thumbs Down 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:23 AM, Love4Janet said:

The Hive have spent the last decade in an echo chamber, convincing themselves that Beyonce is one of the biggest and most impactful artists of all time

In reality, she has yet to even surpass Fergie's peak

Imagine telling people to bow down to you with stats so meager. It's laughable :fan:

Beyoncé - B'Day (2006) first week sales: 541k #1 BB200

Fergie The Dutchess (2006) first week sales: 142k #3 BB200

Beyoncé Lemonade (2016) first week sales: 653k #1 BB200

Fergie - Double Dutchess (2017) first week sales: 21k #19 BB200

:cm:

the impact that BEYONCÉ THE VISUAL ALBUM had in Fergie (and the industry), like, she decided to record whole ass visuals for her flop album :-*

Edited by Joaco95
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Because she's every white girl "girl next door" fantasy. Taylor is rarely on my radar and I don't think I've met one black person (Or person in general) who listens to her yet. It's simply white privilege. Her albums are usually the same generic sounding music she's always released. Nothing particularly special about her as an artist if we're going to be completely honest.

59 minutes ago, Mani. said:

Because she's every white girl "girl next door" fantasy. Taylor is rarely on my radar and I don't think I've met one black person (Or person in general) who listens to her yet. It's simply white privilege.

Is that why she is absolutely huge in asia?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

Is that why she is absolutely huge in asia?

they love sum yt girls over there

Beyoncé does what works for her. Her being this "figure" allows her not to age. She is a 40 something year old woman the industry is VERY AGEIST but she has found a way to be seen as a product rather than a person. Her mystique is what has gained her longevity. She cannot be seen as personable. She is beautiful. She is rich. She lives in opulence. Her trying to give girl next door or soccer mom will fall flat.

she does extremely well. I mean other than Taylor no one is seeing Beyoncé. They are on top. Sales do not matter to the gp. They are both equally as famous and on the same stratosphere of fame. Anyone who knows Taylor knows Beyoncé and vice versa. Their celebrity status is EQUAL 

• Haha 1

Taylor is good at building parasocial relationships with her fans I guess

Taylor makes white women and white gays feel seen

Taylor makes radio-friendly songs for soccer moms and 12-year-old girls in suburbia 

Beyonce pushes the envelope and takes way more risks

And she's black (Imagine if she was white with her talent)

On 4/18/2024 at 7:54 PM, RobynYoBank said:

I guess we'll compare streaming numbers in a few weeks. :bird:

Why even wait a few weeks, now's as good a time as any :michael:

You know Christian Dior will never sell as much as H&M.

spacer.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.