Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT: THE ANTHOLOGY'

Almodusa

With the rate she operates, TS12 is going to go one of 2 ways:

a new album WITH Jack where they create a new sound to prove they -aren't- washed up as collaborators as a rejection to the criticism of their recent work together,

or, 

a new album WITHOUT Jack because she is directly accepting the criticism of their work together plateauing. 

• Like 7

• Replies 47k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

Loser was such a cute 4 track EP, Cruel Summer, The Archer, Daylight, and Afterglow were all we needed to hold us over between Reputation and Folklore :celestial2:

Crazy that she didn't release any singles from it until 2023 :celestial4:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

It's always been clear Taylor is trying to prove something to the world (despite it being glaringly obvious at this point). 

They said she couldn't sing? She got a vocal coach and improved her voice to the point it's at now over the past 14 years. 

Said she wasn't really writing her music? She wrote an album entirely alone.

Country music didn't wanna recognize her anymore? She dabbled then switched to pop.

Red was too divisive and messy? She made a cohesive and digestible album for the masses with 1989 (and nailed the genre switch with a dynasty of an era).

Snakegate? Reputation

ME! ? folklore + evermore 

Etc etc etc. 

Everything she does is reactionary to negative criticisms she has received. MA documentary outlined it for us — her brain is hardwired to seek positive affirmation and dismantle rejection.

then we hope that for TS12 she work with new producers to produce fresh sounds as the reaction for TTPD backlash 

It's kind of weird how much she turned things around because everything about her aura during the Lover era (from the way she looked, acted, her clothes, hair) all seemed like genuinely a has-been and someone who's borderline becoming lame and past their prime 

• Like 7

Just now, Saintlor said:

It's kind of weird how much she turned things around because everything about her aura during the Lover era (from the way she looked, acted, her clothes, hair) all seemed like genuinely a has-been and someone who's borderline becoming lame and past their prime 

She was so close to Katyification that era :rip: 

• Haha 5

Taylor STILL having the dance music card in her back pocket to easily win over the GP and eurogays is so funny to me :deadbanana4: Calculated queen 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

But if she were to ask herself why does she want to be the biggest artist of all time? Why is that?

As long as she is financially successful and people want to go to her shows (whether that be at a 5,000 venue or 100,000 venue) and releases great music that has an audience, does it even matter if she's the biggest artist of all time?

I mean, I do think that she's always had that world-conquering ambition in her.

2017-2019 were very odd years for her. Her reputation wasn't always great, the numbers weren't always great, she seemed to be past her peak and on the cusp of becoming a legacy act. But at the same time, the reception she got from crowds at the AMAs and VMAs in those years were pretty extreme—like she was still the biggest star in the whole industry even when the streams and chart peaks didn't reflect that. And we saw her trying to make peace with having peaked in Miss Americana, but I'm not the least bit surprised that she leapt at the opportunity to build herself back up again. She lives for it. She always has. 

And I know we always say that folklore and the rerecordings saved her career and built her up to this moment, but I think the groundwork was already being laid with her Woman of the Decade honors from the AMAs and Billboard. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

2 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

She was so close to Katyification that era :rip: 

Remember that THIS is where we were less than 5 years ago:

Spoiler
Spoiler

taylor-swift-katy-perry.gif

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

Remember that THIS is where we were less than 5 years ago:

Hide contents
  Hide contents

taylor-swift-katy-perry.gif

Even making up with Katy seemed like she was only doing it because Taylor was a has-been and they were flops together :deadbanana2: 

Everything just reeked of declining artist :rip: 

Edited by Saintlor
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Taylor STILL having the dance music card in her back pocket to easily win over the GP and eurogays is so funny to me :deadbanana4: Calculated queen 

The day Taylor tries to make music for the clubs it's over.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Klein said:

The day Taylor tries to make music for the clubs it's over.

Over for… the gays? the other pop girls? the charts? her career? There are so many ways to interpret this sentence. :psyduck:

• Haha 5

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

People always say it was the pandemic that forced her to switch it up but I always thought that she had actually caught on about halfway through the Lover rollout that it wasn’t landing

There was a pretty distinct pivot to me somewhere between here and here that she doubled down on during folklore, my tears ricochet was recorded pre-pandemic as well etc.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

omg tea I've always thought this. crazy how much she improved since then (open spoiler at your own risk :toofunny2:)

Spoiler

809d061c8570f1451b03ec1efbd91dfe.jpg

taylor-swift-se-produit-au-2019-iheartra

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, BloodLuster said:

omg tea I've always thought this. crazy how much she improved since then (open spoiler at your own risk :toofunny2:)

Hide contents

809d061c8570f1451b03ec1efbd91dfe.jpg

taylor-swift-se-produit-au-2019-iheartra

I still don't know how she's a heavily experienced artist who had been doing it for years and didn't think it would be embarrassing to go onstage like this

• ATRL Moderator
53 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

The fact that she already felt that way all the way back on Never Grow Up and Innocent and is still trapped there. I fear her monologue about celebrities getting stuck at the age they became famous at has too much truth to it. 

oYmIOQ4.gif

There is truly so much insight in this album that’s being IGNORED in favour of tweets about Charlie Pluth

spacer.png

I know discussing weight is a taboo, but I'm also surprised she let her weight go a little bigger during early Rep performances and Lover, because she seems a very particular person and the type who wouldn't want to be seen in public if she gained. Certain things at times just didn't seem her

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Achilles. said:

Over for… the gays? the other pop girls? the charts? her career? There are so many ways to interpret this sentence. :psyduck:

My "OVER" could mean anything. :giraffe:

• Haha 1

Lover only ended up looking like a decline because the lead singles sucked. Remember that the ME! music video broke records for daily views. She could've regained her lost presence right then and there and she fumbled it because she wanted to teach people spelling and shade:rip:

• Haha 7

16 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

She was one panned single away from a Vegas residency and an American Idol stint.

1289917203_4mhTwIj(2).thumb.gif.220e09e9

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RebelQuad said:

Lover only ended up looking like a decline because the lead singles sucked. Remember that the ME! music video broke records for daily views. She could've regained her lost presence right then and there and she fumbled it because she wanted to teach people spelling and shade:rip:

Yea the whole rewrite of history acting like she was ever some has been :rip:if she was a has been selling 800k what are the other girls?

• Haha 1

When I read that she removed Spelling is fun from streaming I thought it was a fake thing someone made up. I was shocked it turned out to be true.

Even that didn't seem like her to do.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Goaty said:

The owner of the pub did an interview and basically confirmed that Joe is (well, was, as I'm sure he'll never go back after all the media attention on it) a frequent patron. 

There's also a direct lyrical callback to "Daylight"

Daylight: "Clearin' the air, I breathed in the smoke"

The Black Dog: "Six weeks of breathing clean air
                            I still miss the smoke"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

People always say it was the pandemic that forced her to switch it up but I always thought that she had actually caught on about halfway through the Lover rollout that it wasn't landing

There was a pretty distinct pivot

I think it was honestly just the pre-release singles that were the problem. And that was a major issue considering the ME/YNTCD era lasted 5 months before the album dropped. :deadbanana2:

"Lover" and the album release were a bit of a reset button, and the decade-end honors were a major pivot towards reminding everyone why they love her so much without turning her into a legacy act. 

I think the backlash to ME! had her shaking in her stilettos, too. She knew she had to serve songwriting on her next project. She wrote "my tears ricochet" first, and I think right before the pandemic started.

• Like 4

I just noticed the organ synth in the TTPD bridge right as the melody shifts with "at dinner..." :jonny5:

the way this album is a treasure chest full of sounds and melodies it's gonna take me a lifetime to catch all of them 

• Like 2

Need my midnight blues, so time for The Smallest Man Who Ever Live to be on repeat

spacer.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.