HDD: 'TORTURED POETS' to debut at #1 with 2.60M units | 1.92M pure sales & 671k SEA

Feanor

insane numbers, congrats to ha and her team for building such a strong fanbase over the years. 

it's also weird how this is the least catchy album of hers and it's pulling such huge numbers. couldn't get through it tbh

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• family.guy123

• Raspberries

• wastedpotential

• Kitboga

6 hours ago, Glam said:

Are you sure you are not mixing worldwide numbers with US numbers? Idk it seems off to say Folklore sold over 5 million in the US.

No, I'm not

It has done ~30k weekly so it's actually close to 6M US

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate that we're likely never getting proper certifications for the original versions :weeps:

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Glam said:

I wasn't talking about Taylor as a whole. I was talking about this era compared to the biggest eras of other MPGs. Of course it's still too early to tell and even though I enjoy the new album, I don't hear as many bangers that can carry the album for that long (hopefully I'm wrong)

I would not say evermore has a significant number of "bangers that can carry the album" either and it's her floppiest album but it's still top 50 (and likely to return to the top 40). This one may or may not have the top 10 longevity of Midnights, but it will surely enjoy a residency on the charts for a very long time. Especially with the number of songs contributing to consistently high streams. I don't see this album dipping below 20M streams a day for at least a month.

4 hours ago, Zerby said:

insane numbers, congrats to ha and her team for building such a strong fanbase over the years. 

it's also weird how this is the least catchy album of hers and it's pulling such huge numbers. couldn't get through it tbh

It forcing people to listen over and over so the songs can click and driving even more streams, her mind 

34 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

I hate that we're likely never getting proper certifications for the original versions :weeps:

i'm hoping that maybe a decade from now someone offers her her original masters or she buys them for a much more discounted price or something and then she does a big update for everything and some kind of cute bundle of like ALL her work. i know Japanese pop artists do that sometimes. Like they sell bundles of their entire catalog. It ends up coasting a fortune lol but for collectors and fans I think we'd be willing to drop some serious money for something like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did we mention it's Taylor Swiftweek? Our prognosticators have another update on THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT's first week total. Analysts are now certain that TTPD will clear 2.5m units in its first week, as the 31-track blockbuster continues to raise the bar. For those keeping score at home, that puts TTPD behind only Adele's 25 for the largest all-time debut. How much bigger than huge can it get? Stay tuned.

HDD predicts a 2.5M+ debut now 

Yet another update:

Did we mention it's Taylor Swift week? Our prognosticators have another update on THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT's first week total. Analysts are now certain that TTPD will clear 2.5m units in its first week, as the 31-track blockbuster continues to raise the bar. For those keeping score at home, that puts TTPD behind only Adele's 25 for the largest all-time debut. How much bigger than huge can it get? Stay tuned.

11 hours ago, Gaia said:

I always feel the need to pretend to stan Adele to downplay Taylor and no one is falling for that.

Glad you are able to admit this :clap3:

• Haha 7

Will be around 1 million more than Midnights... what the **** :ahh:

They underestimated the SEA yesterday

22 minutes ago, ALA said:

Will be around 1 million more than Midnights... what the **** :ahh:

And she'd still so young and this is a divisive album, imagine if she calls max again and drops a super commercial pure pop album late next year for the Xmas shopping season…this might not be her peak

When we get "SURPRISE! 3M!" on Friday :toofunny3: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

idk why but i have a feeling she's about to pull 3 million at the end :bam:

Crazy numbers anyway, probably the last time we'll see such numbers in the streaming era (or until she releases the next album :foxaylove2:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raspberries said:

When we get "SURPRISE! 3M!" on Friday :toofunny3: 

1989TV got the full numbers on that Thursday (it jumped from like 500k to 1.3M IIRC), and I really hope we're about to see them employing a similar strategy here. Thursday morning, Taylor's team finally tells Billboard the majority of their numbers, enough for Billboard to pull the "it's over 3M and is close enough in contention to the record that the final day streaming and sales might make it happen" card in their article and then Taylor discounts the CDs and starts doing instantaneous shipping for the last six hours of the tracking week

:suburban:

At least, that's what I'd do if I were them :gaycat4:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

1989TV got the full numbers on that Thursday (it jumped from like 500k to 1.3M IIRC), and I really hope we're about to see them employing a similar strategy here. Thursday morning, Taylor's team finally tells Billboard the majority of their numbers, enough for Billboard to pull the "it's over 3M and is close enough in contention to the record that the final day streaming and sales might make it happen" card in their article and then Taylor discounts the CDs and starts doing instantaneous shipping for the last six hours of the tracking week

At least, that's what I'd do if I were them :gaycat4:

No shade but if she was close to the record we'd already be seeing discounted iTunes, last minue 'The Anthology: The Re-Up' bonus tracks, paint splatter exclusive vinyl variants (you know she has a fleet of FedEx trucks on hold just in case), etc.

So it's either not coming close, or way surpassing it.

Edited by MatiRod
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, MatiRod said:

No shade but if she was close to the record we'd already be seeing discounted iTunes, last minue 'The Anthology: The Re-Up' bonus tracks, paint splatter exclusive vinyl variants (you know she has a fleet of FedEx trucks on hold just in case), etc.

So it's either not coming close, or way surpassing it.

But to my mind, 2.5 (and really this is shooting for at least 2.7 even if all sales are accounted for because they're continuing to underplay SEA and TEA), is close enough that she'd have made the try for it which is why her continued inaction confirms to the voices in my head that she doesn't have to bother because it's already basically locked 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

But to my mind, 2.5 (and really this is shooting for at least 2.7 even if all sales are accounted for because they're continuing to underplay SEA and TEA), is close enough that she'd have made the try for it which is why her continued inaction confirms to the voices in my head that she doesn't have to bother because it's already basically locked 

Hmm this would be an interesting surprise if it were to actually happen.

Either way I don't think this is her peak, she might be able to top this and surpass Adele's record with her next album if she takes a 2 year break and lets anticipation build up. 

I can't even fathom how big this number is in 2024

Justin Timberlake and co. you're bones

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MatiRod said:

It forcing people to listen over and over so the songs can click and driving even more streams, her mind 

I would imagine 1989 to pull this kind of numbers but this did not have the power to force me to listen fully even once let alone come back for seconds. In any case, it's not for me but congrats are in order. 

53 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

Hmm this would be an interesting surprise if it were to actually happen.

Either way I don't think this is her peak, she might be able to top this and surpass Adele's record with her next album if she takes a 2 year break and lets anticipation build up. 

people are not taking this into account. the fact that she's had so many huge numbers back to back to back is crazy. if she does take even just 2 years off, the next album will have a giant debut.