OR3: Should Olivia re-invent? Abandon pop/rock or lean more into it?

drivers license

GUTS isn't doing bad, but it isn't necessarily earth shattering either. thankfully she has "vampire", but a lot of discourse regarding this era (while the album was good) was that it felt like a SOUR 2.0. i think OR3 is her time to prove herself more, as the 0 grammy win was kind of the indicator that she needs to step it up even more. the messy singles rollout didn't help either. because really the acclaim + success is very much there, she just needs to prove the naysayers they are wrong basically.

with GUTS (spilled), granted, obsessed is a deluxe track that was out months prior. but- it got a single treatment (great initial radio push) yet it's not really making noise as much as bad idea right? and get him back! is the gp just tired of this sound? because that's 3 rock songs in a row that the gp said no to :skull:

now do you think she needs to re-invent? drop the pop/rock sound or lean more to it? i have been seeing a lot of mixed comments whether she needs to do rock sound even more, but then again some people would point out her ballads still do better commercially.

if you were on her team: what would be the route for her 3rd era, in your opinion...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drivers license

• Raphy23

• Dante Silva

• HBK-79

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on her ambition. If She's okay with what She got or not. If She wants another big era i think what the audience wants is a big pop song.

Like Taylor did after speak now and Avril after under my skin. 

I think she could stick to the pop/rock sound,  but she needs to mix it up aesthetically.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She will change it up because it will be her first album recorded in her 20s. Not dance-pop, not even Avril Girlfriend level. It's just not her. I can see her doing more singer-songwriter, leaning to folk and adding some atmospheric pop music here and there like Deja-GOD

Rock maybe if it's soft rock or arctic monkeys-ish, strokes-ish rock music. At best 80s inspired New Wave like she hinted with So American

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Depends on her ambition. If She's okay with what She got or not. If She wants another big era i think what the audience wants is a big pop song.

Like Taylor did after speak now and Avril after under my skin. 

yeah that also matters, because the label could indeed step in and push more hits from her. but the music industry has been changing & they have been giving more freedom to artists (which is a good thing) but there's only so many pop/rock songs in the similar vein she can put out before the gp says no again.

g4u was a smash because of how unexpected it was. but now, it is expected of her. i think she needs to do something that people would talk about again, at the same time is genuine to her brand.

Honestly if she's smart she would lean into folk music or something more singer-songwriterish with a lush, warm, laidback sound. The GP loved the ballads from Sour and after Noah Kahan's success she might be able to pull that off and smash

• Like 6

Lean more she's perfect for it. We need more Ballad of a Home-Schooled Girl's

It suits her well she just needs the right song

Something tells me that the SPILLED songs might be an indication of where she's heading next. Maybe still rock but more alt instead of pop rock?

More Rock and more ballads. Make a depressing piano Ballad a single 

5 minutes ago, Solaria said:

Something tells me that the SPILLED songs might be an indication of where she's heading next. Maybe still rock but more alt instead of pop rock?

"so american" is a bop so i am ok with that too :jonny: i mean deja vu is getting the best current streams, so the alt sub-genre of rock would work on her without being to restrictive.

• Like 1

Stay in pop-rock, but make it more colorful, like Paramore's lighter pop-rock stuff (e.g. Hard Times, Ain't It Fun, Still Into You).

See this is what happens when your country has been educated by the likes of Sartre and Camus.

I think she should have another album with purple and a four letter title in caps with the pop-rock sound and answering to questions from the previous records. And then completely switch it up.

No, her tone is made for that genre.

Olivia is now the sound and face of commercial, modern U.S. rock.  She needs to work with other songwriters who have pedigree in the Rock/ Pop genre. Gossip suggests Billie Joe Armstrong (from Green Day) will be a likely co-writer/ contributor to her third album.

Given her established sound it now makes sense for her to be produced by Rob Cavallo in the near future also.  Other names her label need to hook her up with include Rick Rubin and Rick Nowels.

She's not going to turn into Selena Gomez anytime soon and anyone who thinks the answer to Olivia's problem is pivoting towards the sound of Hollywood records circa 2009 is misguided.  

Also, it would be a total misfire for Olivia to work with Jack Antonoff as we have now entered an era where his shortcomings as a producer are coming to light and slowly being exposed.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

She can keep the sound, but next project needs to feel solidly adult. Leave behind the love triangle "your new girl" subject matter. Step away from the pouty sing-talking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think she should just stick with what she likes and is good at. Pop-rock + ballads.

26 minutes ago, Bartender said:

Lean more she's perfect for it. We need more Ballad of a Home-Schooled Girl's

it's criminally underrated i am pissed :deadbanana4: but i think it just have died down in favor of love is embarrassing which she promotes more

• Like 1

She needs more ballads or mid tempos instead of pop rock. Traitor, Favorite Crime and Happier type of songs.Good 4 u sounded fresh at the time, but that type of music is overused now. 

• Like 1

these "flop" songs are the ones i like most from her :skull:  i like her '90s rock vibe, the ballads get too boring for me. GP just has no taste!

i want her to lean more into the obsessed/so american sound

Yes, I'm so ready for her The Best Damn Thing era

spacer.png

more upbeat, more girly, maybe pink vibes but still rock n roll

More creative production like Deja Vu and different ballads. The guitar ballads all start to sound similar. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.