The Guardian on Lanachella: pitchy vocals, lifeless delivery

conquxror

It's bad luck Del Rey had so many issues with her mic. But she can't blame the lackluster scene on technical difficulties alone. When she brought out guest stars Jon Batiste and Billie Eilish, or even duetted with her background singers, their voices sounded rich and full, while hers sounded like what you hear at sorority karaoke night. The audience stayed polite, and diehard fans were going to have a good time anyway. About 20 minutes into the show, however, attendees started to leave early

Was this a headline act, or a hostage-proof-of-life video? A woman standing next to me and I burst out laughing at Del Rey's lifeless delivery of the Summertime Sadness opening line "I'm feeling electric tonight" because, well, clearly she was not. Background dancers gave their all behind her, landing balletic, lyrical moves. At one point, when she attempted to artfully drape herself over one, it looked as if she might fall asleep right there

Journalist Alaina Demopoulos wrote that Lana Del Rey's headline performance at Coachella 2024 fell short of expectations. Despite her iconic status, her lackluster delivery, mic problems, and apparent indifference left many attendees disappointed. Guest appearances by Jon Batiste and Billie Eilish highlighted the stark contrast in vocal quality. Eilish's performance with Del Rey, particularly their rendition of "Video Games," was a standout moment, but by then, much of the audience had already left.

Full review: https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2024/apr/13/lana-del-rey-at-coachella-review-a-disappointingly-lifeless-start-to-the-festival

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conquxror

• RideOrDie

• Richie.Valdez

• suburbannature

but by then, much of the audience had already left.

:redface:

This is why David Bowie calling you the future of music matters more than Lana Del Rey calling you a voice of generation lol

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11
  • Thumbs Down 15

see kids that's you don't vape

• Haha 1

It was bad at the beginning but it got kinda better towards the end. Second week-end will probably be better if they fix her mic and soundcheck before the performance because it sure as hell looked like they didn't.

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 6

ouch :deadbanana2:

The reviewer sounds bitter throughout some of this - and you can easily disprove what she said about crowd hemorrhaging in clips from late in the show when it's still packed,   

• Like 5

I loved it, why would I care what The Guardian says. :WAP:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, conquxror said:

Her voice has been very strong live in recent years, though. We've had a million atrl threads about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Mandalore said:

It was at the beginning but it got kinda better towards the end. Second week-end will probably be better if they fix her mic and soundcheck before the performance because it sure as hell looked like they didn't.

Yeah I don't think the journalist gets Lana's signature way of acting onstage. She always had this kind of blasé attitude during her sets so wasn't that already expected?

Although I do admit she did sound kind of rough at times.

• Like 2

The Guardian has always hated Lana. They're full of a bunch of sexist, talentless drab old men and the occasional woman (much like most of you who've posted in this thread so far). Lana's never been the best performer. It doesn't matter. It clearly hasn't stopped her. She can make a crowd of 70,000+ roar with one ironic moan. She'll be fine, y'all will continue to be mentally unwell :gayoncecat2:

Edited by CottageHore
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

OH MY GOD :toofunny3: 

Is She that grammy secret voter?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

like always :gayriahcat2:

5 minutes ago, conquxror said:

see kids this is why you don't smoke crack

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Her voice has been very strong live in recent years, though. We've had a million atrl threads about it.

Yeah I think her voice matured a lot and it sounds really great with her current material. I just think that Lana doesn't really know how to (or is able to ?) properly sing her old catalogue anymore. And it doesn't help that much of her setlist and highlight moments of the set are her oldest stuff.

3 minutes ago, conquxror said:

Yeah I don't think the journalist gets Lana's signature way of acting onstage. She always had this kind of blasé attitude during her sets so wasn't that already expected?

Although I do admit she did sound kind of rough at times.

I've actually never paid attention to her live performances before, so the first 4 songs or so I was very...surprised. It does get better towards the end and she looked like she gained some ease and confidence. 

It's funny because it made me realize she might actually be as delicate and anxious as she portrays herself in her music. 

9 minutes ago, Miracle Whip said:

She's always been a bad live performer what's new.

giphy.gif

i think she would truly shine in a more intimate tour in some beautiful theaters around the world. i feel like that's her vibe.

• Like 2

No Josh Tillman as a surprise guest, no acclaim

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I've actually never paid attention to her live performances before, so the first 4 songs or so I was very...surprised. It does get better towards the end and she looked like she gained some ease and confidence. 

It's funny because it made me realize she might actually be as delicate and anxious as she portrays herself in her music. 

authenticity, not everyone has that to their credit :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.