St. Vincent on Madonna: We don't need a straight person as a spokesperson for gayness

KatyPrismSpirit

I thought St. Vincent was straight tbh 

• Confused 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ricardoazevedo

• KatyPrismSpirit

• liquiddiamonds

• Josh

Is Madonna even straight tho? And if straight are barred from representing queer issues why are most visible trans women your text book AGP like Caitlyn Jenner, Rachel Levine or Liah Thomas, You know people who don't experience same SEX attraction (don't come For me, i'm trans, a HSTS). 

Edited by TotallyHot
  • Like 1

Honestly this is the worst take ever. How can you simplify things to this level????

Cameltoe Chariot

St Vincent strikes me as that kinda artist you wanna get to know but then you realize she's a cokehead that just talks mad **** 24/7. Like I know none of it is that serious but at the same time no one asked, Annie.

I liked her, but her last album was a self-indulgent mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

Madonna isn't straight tho :michael:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

St Vincent strikes me as that kinda artist you wanna get to know but then you realize she's a cokehead that just talks mad **** 24/7. Like I know none of it is that serious but at the same time no one asked, Annie.

I liked her, but her last album was a self-indulgent mess.

so Grimes?

• Haha 2

Well, I don't know about gayness, but Madonna spoke a lot of about trans right when it mattered despite being cis, and I really appreciated it, so not sure if I agree with miss Annie here.

When did Madonna ever indicate she isn't straight :confused:

How ironic she says this for 2 reasons.

1 - Madonna just did a moving speech at her Miami show last night about why she stands for the LGBTQ community:

During her final show in Miami, Fla., Madonna delivered an emotional speech to her fans in honor of the victims of the 2016 shooting at Pulse nightclub, the second-deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. "I want to remind you that we have not all been so lucky,” Madonna said somberly to her audience, according to a fan-captured video. "I want to draw attention to that moment because nightclubs and music and dance are what bring us together. They shouldn't be places or things that we do that bring us sadness and tragedy and murder and death and pain and suffering and trauma.”

Along with paying tribute to the 49 people killed in the attack, the legendary pop star also shared her support for the LGBTQ+ community, saying, "I will always stand for the gays, because the gays have always stood for me.”

2 - she's collaborated with Taylor Swift who has suddenly tried making that her "brand" (straight ally for the LGBTQ community) for the last 5 years (and who the media & industry keeps dubbing the greatest & only person in pop culture that matters) . But she won't ever come for her because "Cruel Summer" & now Olivia Rodrigo's "deja vu" has made her richer than ever. 

Edited by Hector
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9

Madonna never claimed to speak for LGBTQ people but she was always an ally, especially at a time when there were very few allies in the mainstream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

worms for brains, just another wednesday on atrl :coffee2: i wonder how many here even watched that tiny clip

• Thanks 3

Well St Vincent is talented af 

• Thanks 1

Stuff like this is when wokeness goes too far and people actually become so woke that it circles back around and they become the ignorant ones that they so despise :laugh: 

Madonna EARNED her legendary status as an LGBT icon, period.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Now how tf yall managed to bring Taylor into this again

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

This is a regrettable take since Madonna isn't straight, but the way some of you will act like queer people had no will of their own and weren't the main people behind their rights movement is crazy. Have some self-love. :rip:

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AndThenTheCocaine said:

Now how tf yall managed to bring Taylor into this again

One person brought her up and not even by name. You're bringing her up right now tho so stfu.

• Haha 9

40 minutes ago, Sun said:

I mean…. Her choosing to be a spokesperson during a time it wasn't supported says enough and is arguably more commendable than not?

in fact she says "in 2024" - and it was in general, not refering to Madonna

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BOAZ said:

in fact she says "in 2024" - and it was in general, not refering to Madonna

it was not general. she was literally talking about crying to Live To Tell at Madonnas concert and praised Madonna for her SEX book having gay men in it, being groundbreaking. But this statement came directly after this so she was talking about Madonna

All we need is St Vincent and Dua Lipa 

dua lipa grammys 2019 GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Madonna who? 

• Haha 4

I hate takes like these. So she just should have not supported the community then?

I don't even overly care for Madonna, but her support and impact when it could have been career ending was brave and strong of her. Getting offended over that is mental illness.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

it was not general. she was literally talking about crying to Live To Tell at Madonnas concert and praised Madonna for her SEX book having gay men in it, being groundbreaking. But this statement came directly after this so she was talking about Madonna

For what I gathered from the video, it seems to me that she's saying that whatever Madonna did 30 years ago is not something that'd be seen as helpful and revolutionary nowadays if done by a straight person as what she did back then, hence the "we don't need someone straight" comment as members of the community represent themselves nowadays. The whole concept of "gay icon" is kinda passé and she's right about that. It didn't seem like a shade to me :michael:

Edited by BOAZ
  • Like 3

Just now, BOAZ said:

For what I gathered from the video, it seems to me that she's saying that whatever Madonna did 30 years ago is not something that'd be seen as helpful and revolutionary as what she did back then, hence the "we don't need someone straight" comment as members of the community represent themselves nowadays. The whole concept of "gay icon" is kinda passé and she's right about that. It didn't seem like a shade to me :michael:

it wasnt shade at all shes respecting Madge! thats why I said in the OP that shes not disrespecting her but the take isnt taken out of context either as she was talking about madonna in the clip. its just her opinion anyways

Lol if you watch the entire interview not only that clip she gives Madonna her flowers, but her point is totally taken out of context, leave Queen Vincent alone thx! xx

Saint Vincent is a huge Madonna stan btw, her favorite era is Erotica and even wrote songs for her in 2012.

Edited by Alongoria13
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.