St. Vincent on Madonna: We don't need a straight person as a spokesperson for gayness

KatyPrismSpirit

Braindead atrlers fuming without even watching the actual video and LISTEN to the words.
Annie wasn't dissing Madonna and kept on praising her the entire interview.

• Thanks 2

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ricardoazevedo

• KatyPrismSpirit

• liquiddiamonds

• Josh

6 hours ago, noonbob said:

Who tf is this *****?

Stfu we want Madonna doing the things.

ezgif-1-31cc142f3e.thumb.gif.0745aa27580

+Stream Human Nature.

:deadbanana:

Did we listen to the same statement?

She didn't question what Madonna did for the community in the past, she just said in 2024 we no longer need a straight person to lead our message, and the proceeded to praise Madonna for her impact. This thread is a mess and for what :gaycat6:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The fact most of you haven't even watched the short video and even if, I srsly don't understand the outrage. It seems as if some of y'alls two remaining brain cells finally found the deep fryer :rip:

• Haha 4

This thread reaching 5 pages however let it be a negative Madonna thread it would have made page 10.

:coffee2:

• Thanks 1

Clickbait thread title for a much more meaningful and deep statement from St Vincent (including huge praise for Madonna). 

2 hours ago, killer_rose said:

Braindead atrlers fuming without even watching the actual video and LISTEN to the words.
Annie wasn't dissing Madonna and kept on praising her the entire interview.

It's still a bad take. There's a difference between THE spokesperson as well as A spokesperson, which the latter was said. Asking for no cishet spokespeople for queer acceptance is basically asking for no allies 

There's also an important distinction the audience the spokesperson is talking to. I don't think Madonna ever talked over other queer people in queer spaces; she was advocating for queer acceptance in cishet spaces in times where it was career su*cide and no one else was doing it

• Thanks 2

Looks like most of yall just read the title and decided to make a comment :ahh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What an ungrateful bitter woman 

• Thumbs Down 1

This is honestly just really dumb. Facts are, 30 years ago when Madonna was indeed the biggest pop star in the world and the world's attention, and used it bravely and compassionately to shed light on HIV+, AIDS and those affected by the conditions and helped educated literally millions of people.

The world then did indeed need her as a spokesperson, and thank god. To turn on her now and act like she did something wrong, when we mightn't have even made the progress we have without her, is cold and aloof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

In a time period when many of us had to repress ourselves just to avoid eggs being dropped through our letterboxes at night and being the victim of violence by day, Madonna put her neck on the line by standing up for us when being gay was not only taboo but perceived as a form of mental illness.

Being gay was not referred to as "the love that dare not speak its name" for nothing.

Straight people who were Madonna fans knew that for them to Stan her, it was conditional of them NOT being homophobic (and that was a lot of straights).

Sapphic love never invoked the level of violence that love between two men did.  

Madonna always has been a true ally to the gay community and I absolutely am not going to throw her under a bus and be disloyal simply because times (and representation) have changed. It would be superficial and ungrateful in the extreme for the doors she opened for us that entitled baby gays never experienced being shut (in the first place) and now take for granted being open.

St. Vincent can take her provincial, uneducated opinion and go f*** herself.

Spoiler

"When you're young and so in love and free
And bewildered by the world you see
Why do people hurt you so
Only those in love would know
What a town without pity can do

When we stop to gaze upon a star
People talk about how mad we are
Ours is such an evil age
Were like flowers in a cage

Yeah, we have problems, many problems
We need an understanding heart
Why don't they help us, try to help us
Before this grey and granite planet falls apart

Take these eager lips and hold me fast
I'm afraid this kind of joy can't last
How can we keep love alive
How can anything survive
When these little minds tear you in two

How can we keep love alive
How can anything survive
When these little minds tear you in two
What a town without pity can do..

No it isn't very pretty
What a town without pity... can do".

Edited by Dante Silva
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

8 hours ago, pisuke said:

Ungrateful *******. I swear these UNEDUCATED queers that were born yesterday should be the first ones to shut their ******* mouth. They should acknowledge how lucky they are to be born in a place were people like Madonna helped in any way she could for us to be seen and respected. First do your homework before opening your stupid ass mouth. She never claimed to be our representative, she just treated us as human beings in a time that waaaaaaaay worse than nowadays, in spite of all the current challenges. Way more than this St. Vincent ***** or who ever this ungrateful ***** is. 

:ahh: She is ******* 41 years old. :ahh: 

People calling her "ungrateful" as if Madonna's advocacy was a gift she bestowed onto queer people. :ahh: What Madonna has done for the queer community has been monumental, but no one owes her a debt of gratitude for being a decent human being. She never had to experience the harrowing hardships so many queer people have had and continue to face.

Edited by Sannie
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 hours ago, pisuke said:

Ungrateful *******. I swear these UNEDUCATED queers that were born yesterday should be the first ones to shut their ******* mouth. They should acknowledge how lucky they are to be born in a place were people like Madonna helped in any way she could for us to be seen and respected. First do your homework before opening your stupid ass mouth. She never claimed to be our representative, she just treated us as human beings in a time that waaaaaaaay worse than nowadays, in spite of all the current challenges. Way more than this St. Vincent ***** or who ever this ungrateful ***** is. 

Go off!!!!!!!!!!!!

azealia-banks-megaphone.gif

Madonna was one of the very first to stand up for our kind. Put some respect on her name.

I really wish sometimes Gays need to calm down and learn about history, rather than spilling something they don't understand.

Ungrateful *****.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

10 hours ago, Darn Tootin said:

Madonna isn't straight. But she is correct. Straight people don't need to represent us. Allys should back us up and not take over the conversation 

:clap3:

I agree with this statement 100% 

6 hours ago, Alongoria13 said:

As a Madonna stan Jesus Christ some of you are BEYOND stupid :deadbanana2: no wonder propaganda works in this society lmfao

this thread is SCARY :rip:  the quote in the title still being "St Vincent on Madonna" when she didn't mention Madonna until after making that point, and to provide a counter-argument to it. 

Stay in SCHOOL, atrl! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The idea is right. Madonna may be the one exception to the rule given her history of advocating for gay rights - especially since she was doing it during a time when no one else was really doing it. 

• Thanks 1

ATRL not watching the video before posting, I'm honestly not surprised anymore that people just respond automatically defending their faves without comprehending the situation

• Like 1

did people here even watch what she said in the interview? :suburban:

Deleting Masseduction from my library as we speak  :tsk:

6 minutes ago, Romova99 said:

Deleting Masseduction from my library as we speak  :tsk:

It's literally her worst album so you're doing yourself a favour :clap3:

• Like 2

Yes, we do. Some straight people only listen to other straight people. 

the chatgpt gays struggling to form a coherent thought

• Like 1

She should have dragged the FAKE FADDISH BISEXUALS

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.