Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ATRL

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Login issues
New Music Out Now!!! 🎧💿

Tyla released AOTY. Surprised?

Featured Replies

hmm, I wasn't really impressed even after a 2nd listen.

 

Her sound was way more interesting and promising before Water became a hit and somehow she felt the need or was pressured to turn in a whole album sounding like that.

 

Literally her Music Of The Sun era. But go on girl, I have faith in you!!!!

  • Replies 51
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • OnMyCoolJ
    OnMyCoolJ

    Not even Album Of The Day it was released.    biggest disappointment of the year is more like it. 

  • Kristie Kuwa
    Kristie Kuwa

    Disclaimer: Not everything you like is AOTY  

  • Marla Singer
    Marla Singer

    It's a cute debut but it's basically 14 variations of Water  

Whole thing is a vibe. Wish Been Thinking made the cut because it would be a stand out

Whole thing is a vibe. Wish Been Thinking made the cut because it would be a stand out

Whole thing is a vibe. Wish Been Thinking made the cut because it would be a stand out

yeah i needed to say 3 timez BEEN THINKING deserved a spot

Yeah I am surprised actually. Been Thinking caught my attention initially but then only Water was somewhat interesting to me. When she dropped her EP I thought it was really boring. But the songs all worked much better in the context of the album.

 

Jump is that girl :clap3:

I like Tyla but I was expecting more songs like 'Been Thinking' (which is her best song imo) and less songs like 'Water' lol. It's a cute album but I don't think it's AOTY contender at all. That's perfectly fine because she's quite young and this is only her debut. Favorite songs are Truth or Dare, Jump, No. 1 and To Last.

57 minutes ago, Nashe said:

hmm, I wasn't really impressed even after a 2nd listen.

 

Her sound was way more interesting and promising before Water became a hit and somehow she felt the need or was pressured to turn in a whole album sounding like that.

 

Literally her Music Of The Sun era. But go on girl, I have faith in you!!!!

MTE.

I like it but it's so samey. I end up feeling bored. Someone needed to give her a couple of pop bangers.

Edited by Jay07

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Tbh I've seen this comment a lot but it all comes down to the album's cohesiveness. I think purposely choosing to use similar drum sounds on all the tracks was an artistic decision.  To me, it definitely makes the album flow quite nice.

There's difference between cohesiveness and using almost the same beat in the minority of the album. 

 

It's like they tried to have water 2.0 on every track

This album did not moved me the way that I thought it would. It just felt safe and predictable 

Edited by Aribiotch.

she definitely did not, but it's still very good! 

 

I'd say that so far... MGMT, Adrianne Lenker, Gossip, Mannequin P*ssy, and The Last Dinner Party might have a 5-way tie

but Beyoncé, St. Vincent, Amen Dunes, Maggie Rogers, Vampire Weekend, Jessica Pratt, Dua Lipa, and Bat for Lashes are still on the way soon... as are yet-to-be-announced projects by Kesha, FKA twigs, Banks, and Marina soooooooo... yeah AOTY has likely not even been released yet. this is an incredibly stacked year, it's raining great albums

No way in hell is this the best album of the year. The entire album sounds like they used the exact same splice drum loop throughout. Only song that sounded different was the ballad. Do like water though

Every song sounds like a different version of "Water" (not in a good way) 

3 hours ago, brraap said:

Not to mention the Grammy despite only having one song out. 
 

I don't wanna say 🌱 but…

I don't get this term.  I work in music business  + no one actually says this.  :laugh:

 

Managers and labels are supposed to use their power to expose their artists to once in a lifetime opportunities.  Yes, even sucking up to publications and award showrunners, etc lol.  Like…that's their job.  It just works for some artists + not others.  :michael: 
 

A lot of it really comes down to positioning + timing.  Both of which were in Tyla's favor with Amapiano gaining popularity.  And her team had a clear vision to make her "the Rihanna of South Africa/Amapiano"

 

Re: "industry plants”…Now, I do take issue  when some artists accolades and level of opportunities don't match their input.  I have some examples in mind, but not trynna drag any other artists lol.  


But I don't see that as the case for Tyla. "Water" was the most commercially popular song of the ones nominated.  And it was a brand new category.  Now if she won SOTY/ROTY or even Best New Artist — that would def be suspicious :laugh:

 

Her career did take off quickly though after "Getting Late", b/c she had a powerful manager who spotted her on YT very early on.  But seems like a lucky break to me, esp since none of her fam works in entertainment. 

It's a great album tbh :jonny: the becky collab needs to be a single 

3 hours ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

I like Tyla but I was expecting more songs like 'Been Thinking' (which is her best song imo) and less songs like 'Water' lol. It's a cute album but I don't think it's AOTY contender at all. That's perfectly fine because she's quite young and this is only her debut. Favorite songs are Truth or Dare, Jump, No. 1 and To Last.

I, too, wanted more "Been Thinking" type songs…but yall let that flop. :coffee2: lol

 

Label not gonna release more of those…if it didn't go anywhere. :laugh:

Edited by professor2000

39 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

I don't get this term.  I work in music business  + no one actually says this.  :laugh:

 

Managers and labels are supposed to use their power to expose their artists to once in a lifetime opportunities.  Yes, even sucking up to publications and award showrunners, etc lol.  Like…that's their job.  It just works for some artists + not others.  :michael: 
 

A lot of it really comes down to positioning + timing.  Both of which were in Tyla's favor with Amapiano gaining popularity.  And her team had a clear vision to make her "the Rihanna of South Africa/Amapiano"

 

Re: "industry plants”…Now, I do take issue  when some artists accolades and level of opportunities don't match their input.  I have some examples in mind, but not trynna drag any other artists lol.  


But I don't see that as the case for Tyla. "Water" was the most commercially popular song of the ones nominated.  And it was a brand new category.  Now if she won SOTY/ROTY or even Best New Artist — that would def be suspicious :laugh:

 

Her career did take off quickly though after "Getting Late", b/c she had a powerful manager who spotted her on YT very early on.  But seems like a lucky break to me, esp since none of her fam works in entertainment. 

Thank you for clearing that up! I definitely see the Rihanna resemblances in her career early on 

43 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

I, too, wanted more "Been Thinking" type songs…but yall let that flop. :coffee2: lol

 

Label not gonna release more of those…if it didn't go anywhere. :laugh:

lol "y'all let it flop"? I don't understand this logic of expecting fans or potential fans to do all the grungework of promo when it should be the record label's job. Also, Tyla is a new artist. It's not like she had some huge fanbase that could mass buy and mass stream to put that song on the top of the charts. I discovered 'Been Thinking' through its music video by happenstance last Spring. I wasn't looking for it so I don't think the label was really promoting it to begin with. Hell, 'Water' only popped because of TikTok.

Edited by Soda Pop Queen

2 hours ago, Soda Pop Queen said:

lol "y'all let it flop"? I don't understand this logic of expecting fans or potential fans to do all the grungework of promo when it should be the record label's job. Also, Tyla is a new artist. It's not like she had some huge fanbase that could mass buy and mass stream to put that song on the top of the charts. I discovered 'Been Thinking' through its music video by happenstance last Spring. I wasn't looking for it so I don't think the label was really promoting it to begin with. Hell, 'Water' only popped because of TikTok.

I'm just kidding lol. :gaycat2:

7 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Tbh I've seen this comment a lot but it all comes down to the album's cohesiveness. I think purposely choosing to use similar drum sounds on all the tracks was an artistic decision.  To me, it definitely makes the album flow quite nice.

you can have a cohesive album but songs doesnt sound the same like SOS by SZA

 

the song before and after Water, sound like one song altogether

 

not a basher since Water is one of my fave bops ever

the 'aquarius' of 20's that's the fact and definitely one of aoty fr :clap3:

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.