Can a flop album ever make a full on, modern-day renaissance?

BrentB

Do you think it's possible for a flop album & it's singles to be rediscovered by Gen Z or Gen Alpha (via whatever platform replaces Tiktok)? And by rediscovered, I mean, peak in the top 5 of Billboard 200 & have its singles reissued & peak within the top 10 of Billboard Hot 100? What album(s) do you think could do it?

I've tried really thinking about it and I'm not a Fighter (and call me delusional) but I do see Bionic being able to pull this off. A soundtrack to some futuristic, sci-fi, cyberpunk movie with a sexy female protagonist could work. The single reissues that I think could propel this are Bionic, Desnudate (played alongside a memorable love/sex scene), Prima Donna & Vanity.

I will also say, I oddly see Joyride being a worthy candidate. I get that it's her weakest work & she was forced to put it out, but I, over the years, have seen the potential in this body of work. I think if GP were given the opportunity to hear Salt (slow sultry & dark heartbreak gem), Faded Love, SuperLove & Me So Bad (all 2018'd time capsule gems), then they could potentially propel all of it + the LP itself within the top 20 at least of the Hot 100/ BB 200 (call me crazy, it's all gud luv :toofunny2:). It would also have to be via a soundtrack, perhaps to a movie that captures the 2017-18 trop-pop/hip hop vibe & the director/producer is a Tinasha stan perhaps:rip:

Edited by BrentB

Sure, but there's no hope for Joanne or Artpop

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

I don't think it could happen in one go, with the whole album smashing, but I can see it hapenning song by song over an extended period of time.

Think of Memoirs having three songs going viral (Obsessed, It's a Wrap and UOMF), but with the songs actually going top-10.

When it comes to albums, we've seen cases where an artist's first album gets a sales bump after they smash with their second album (Nirvana, Post Malone, Madonna), but I think that's as far as it can go.

Spoiler

Anywho, we need the YOUTH to discover this album:

ab67616d0000b27368b7fcb1d8848410709afd11

• Like 5

I dont think so tbh. Maybe re visited and reevaluated in the colective concious but no old album is gonna suddenly top the charts unless a tragedy is involved tbh

13 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Hide contents

Anywho, we need the YOUTH to discover this album:

ab67616d0000b27368b7fcb1d8848410709afd11

The way my first impulse when I opened the thread was to post this :ryan3:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BrentB said:

And by rediscovered, I mean, peak in the top 5 of Billboard 200 & have its singles reissued & peak within the top 10 of Billboard Hot 100?

I don't think this criteria is even remotely possible. The best case scenario are situations like with RUTH, MOTD or Bloody Mary.

• Like 2

It's surely possible. But it would likely happen with something much older that already was acclaimed. Like a 90s / 80s album which songs get featured on a soundtrack for a movie or tv show and the whole album ends up going viral. Kinda like a RUTH moment

Madame X will get completely reexamined in 5-10 years from now when the world is collapsing. Purposeful pop done right that the world sadly wasn't ready for.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

its possible but the album itself had to have some level of commercial success back then.

Possibly if the artist is having their own resurgence, and the GP takes an interest in their catalog.

I could see this for someone like Carly with Emotion or Lorde with Melodrama (though it wasn't exactly a flop, could've had more chart success)

Edited by OnikaSlays

i can see chromatica having a cute moment in 2030 

The entire OST of All About Lily Chou-Chou from like 20 years ago has gone semi-viral (as the movie itself), of course, it won't chart anywhere, but it's technically possible.

Justice for Glitter was the best thing on the internet in the 2010s. The album sold over 10,000 copies (trad. copies) at its height weeks. That campaign lasted for a month. Unfortunately, it wasn't uploaded to streaming until 2020 or 2021, so the broader GP had no chance to support the resurgence. 

• Like 2

Joyride can do it for sure methinkz 

1 hour ago, .Odyssey. said:

Madame X will get completely reexamined in 5-10 years from now when the world is collapsing. Purposeful pop done right that the world sadly wasn't ready for.

Oh, dear... I doubt it. I highly, highly doubt it. :rip:

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, .Odyssey. said:

I wouldn't allow that.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Lizzo's Cuz I Love You comes to mind. 

• Like 1

Mariah had that with Glitter.

Memoirs has 2 viral hits and is about to have its 3rd. I'm sure if people will actually give the album a chance it might be HUGE. Its a very fun album.

American Life album deserve to have a resurrection. 

Bionic deserves this. Such an amazing album. Madame X as well. These are my favorite albums for their respective artists.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, .Odyssey. said:

Yep, super underrated album.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I can see it happening with Emotion by Carly Rae. Run Away With Me already went viral on Vine back in the day. I think it will eventually have a moment similar to RUTH, Unwritten or MOTD.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Funnyfatty said:

Mariah had that with Glitter.

Memoirs has 2 viral hits and is about to have its 3rd. I'm sure if people will actually give the album a chance it might be HUGE. Its a very fun album.

Up Out My Face is already decreasing again. Mariah herself in not supporting her viral hits and the entire catalogue is currently banned on Tik Tok. 

I totally see this with Man of the woods. The album wasn't appreciate in its time, but I can see it having a resurgence. The quality is out of this world. Such a great album.!

Deserved so much more! 

Justice for American Life! :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.