Was Witness a traumatic but impactful experience?

TROPICUM

Every time an artist has a change of hair, mostly when they get a buzzcut or very short blonde hair, it immediately gets translated to 'Katy Perry Witness' in here

It's almost like a curse, if any pop star flops or their lead single starts tanking it's immediately called their 'Witness' era

I wasn't as much around here when it happened, but I assume the way it flopped hadn't been seen in a long time...

Was the Witness era in a way, one of the most impactful these site has ever seen? 

• Haha 2

No eras if not Witness, Queen, and Artpop define ATRL's glee at misfortune, that's for sure.

But seriously, Witness was an absolute disaster all its own.

Just now, The7thStranger said:

No eras if not Witness, Queen, and Artpop define ATRL's glee at misfortune, that's for sure.

But seriously, Witness was an absolute disaster all its own.

That reminds me when people would use ARTPOP as the standard "flop" album. Katy fell hard.

• Like 1

It was quite traumatic, yes.

I never understood why ATRL called it a flop. The singles certainly did not have high peaks (which was a first for Katy) but they performed well overall and are famous everywhere (especially BA et SS eventhough Chained was the bigger one commercially speaking). On top of that they had good sales and insane streaming numbers.

It was a messy era for sure and somehow underperformed compared to TD or Prism but it objectively did fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

10 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

I never understood why ATRL called it a flop. The singles certainly did not have high peaks (which was a first for Katy) but they performed well overall and are famous everywhere (especially BA et SS eventhough Chained was the bigger one commercially speaking). On top of that they had good sales and insane streaming numbers.

It was a messy era for sure and somehow underperformed compared to TD or Prism but it objectively did fine.

it was career changing and not in a good way.   Calling it a flop is granted, even if the numbers were decent. She went from one of the biggest artists of the early 2010's to one of the most hated / controversial.

Edited by ThousandMiles

The pop music itself being 2 mins long streaming era radio fodder pop with your standard 20-25 WoC, is par for course for underperforming MPG era. The gays love it, but subsequently it ages like milk to GP.

The album had good peaks, she had an OK tour (they hid the numbers though), and it had a hit and a moderate hit (CTTR, SS). However, it was a huge mess for a whole manner of reasons. They blatantly frauded her YouTube and social media stats to the point mainstream media outlets picked up on it, it killed her sex appeal, killed her coolness, the music itself really didn't say anything and got panned. Most of the visuals were tacky.

She thought she could make this transformation and people would stick with her, but it was just cringe.

The sjw political theme as well, which i don't even think naturally aligns to her own views :rip:

as a Katycat, the biggest trauma is that pixie cut. It all took away Katy's Charisma and she looked like Ellen :rip:

• Haha 1

It all began with the rise mess and the Hillary campaign

Considering that threads about this album are being made almost daily on this forum I would say it definitely had impact on ATRL 

yes, an iconic flop era like artpop and bionic

I remember when it used to be Bionic :rip:

Her second best album did that :clap3:

lemme stream Dance with the Devil

Only Madonna got away with pixie haircut :fan:

It taught everyone else what NOT TO DO 

the era was a disaster :deadbanana4:

at least with Bionic Christina served in the not myself video and performances 

but Katy gave us nothing but the worst performances of her career and the visuals were CRINGE 

And that hair :rip:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HANZ94 said:

It taught everyone else what NOT TO DO 

the era was a disaster :deadbanana4:

at least with Bionic Christina served in the not myself video and performances 

but Katy gave us nothing but the worst performances of her career and the visuals were CRINGE 

And that hair :rip:

but CTTR was very successful lead single sis, not to mention Swish swish has more than 1B views 

• Thanks 1

The Witness era was pretty bad tbh. 365, Never Really Over, and Harleys In Hawaii were supposed to be smash hits...

bon appetit  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> entire basic boring pop stars careers 

• Thumbs Down 2

Yes, it was 

k5wM8kw.gif

4 hours ago, MaxMartin said:

It all began with the rise mess and the Hillary campaign

That song is supposed to be an Olympic anthem until Katheryn sabotaged it by singing it on Hillary's rally :coffee2:

2 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

The Witness era was pretty bad tbh. 365, Never Really Over, and Harleys In Hawaii were supposed to be smash hits...

This is from Smile

The album had some strong songs and good singles if you ask me (minus Hey, Hey Hey) but it wasn't "impactful" per se. When I think of impact, I think of influence and cultural significance and 'Witness' did not have that. And yes, it definitely was a traumatic era to live through. Imagine your fav coming from diamond singles, 9 #1s, biggest female era of all time and being hailed as a new pop queen to whatever that era was. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.