Why don't various artists compilation albums count towards artists' career total?

BrandNewBrandon

BrandNewBrandon

Now! That's What I Call Music... Vol. 4, for instance, sold over 2 million in the US. It featured one of Britney's hits. Why aren't those 2M copies counted towards her career total? 

The Today's Top Hits playlist has over 30 million subscribers and is consumed by more than 2 million people but that counts towards all artists' career totals? 

I'm sure these compilation sets were played during a house party the same way a playlist is in the streaming era, so why doesn't it count for Britney, the Backstreet Boys etc.? 

Keep it cute. 

Edited by BrandNewBrandon
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's getting weird…

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

:rip:

Can u just stop? No one wanna waste their precious free time browsing your stupidity

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

BrandNewBrandon
1 minute ago, Katamari said:

It's getting weird…

Translated to: Oh this narrative hurts my fave so I'll stick to projecting my daily behaviour onto the OP. 

I said keep it cute. If you can't then

kristen wiig gtfo GIF

BrandNewBrandon

Is there a "no-Swifties" tag here? :deadbanana2:

A sales discussion without them would be more fun. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

7 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Is there a "no-Swifties" tag here? :deadbanana2:

A sales discussion without them would be more fun. 

You're literally the one who click in every thread about Taylor to fight against swifties, or every thread not about Taylor just to mention Taylor and eventually ruined the thread, your whole life here is around Taylor and now you said this :rip:

Seek help

Edited by HappierJealousy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 12

TTH is not the same as a hits compilation. TTH is updated constantly, Now That's What I Call Music at it's peak did 3 releases annually max. People were not discovering new music through them, they were buying hits they already liked for a bargain. A better comparison for TTH would be a radio station during prime hours. The popularity of the Britney song in question was already factored into charts and career totals during it's run, which is what got it in the compilation to begin with.

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Translated to: Oh this narrative hurts my fave so I'll stick to projecting my daily behaviour onto the OP. 

I said keep it cute. If you can't then

kristen wiig gtfo GIF

My favs are the Beatles and a bunch of artistes who don't chart anymore tho :dies:

BrandNewBrandon
7 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

You're literally the one who click in every thread about Taylor to fight against swifties, or every thread not about Taylor just to mention Taylor

OMG, no it's not. You're exaggerating because it hurts your eyes to read anything that doesn't say "Taylor Swift is the greatest on the planet" :rip:

I'm not in every Taylor thread. I am, however, in those threads where Swifties claim the above in comparison to other artists and you can either deal with those or not. Everyone knows you guys are unhinged and cackle over your meltdowns :deadbanana2:

BrandNewBrandon
9 minutes ago, Sheep said:

A better comparison for TTH would be a radio station during prime hours. 

I would say it's a mix of both a compilation set and a radio station but neither the sales of a compilation set nor the amount of times Britney was played on the radio were factored into her career sales. So you made my point. 

oh its you again

17 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

OMG, no it's not. You're exaggerating because it hurts your eyes to read anything that doesn't say "Taylor Swift is the greatest on the planet" :rip:

I'm not in every Taylor thread. I am, however, in those threads where Swifties claim the above in comparison to other artists and you can either deal with those or not. Everyone knows you guys are unhinged and cackle over your meltdowns :deadbanana2:

Yes, exactly, BrandNewBrandon :rip: but it seems like everyone in this thread and in this forum knows who is melting down. I actually really hope you make more threads like this cause no one is getting hurt by these stupid nonsense besides you will get banned

Edited by HappierJealousy
  • Haha 1

I agree actually. People often times bought a regular album for one song only. Some, even today, buy albums to display on a shelf. Who cares the intention, right? Right? 

Ok I saw the vision with the FART thread but you're losing me…

Because it's a collection of many artists not just one

2 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Now! That's What I Call Music... Vol. 4, for instance, sold over 2 million in the US. It featured one of Britney's hits. Why aren't those 2M copies counted towards her career total? 

Should every artists on that compilation be added 2M sales to their total? So that 2M sales from one compilation somehow translates to a total of 36M sales? 

What crack are you on? 

treyreloaded-nicki-minaj.gif

4 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

I agree actually. People often times bought a regular album for one song only. Some, even today, buy albums to display on a shelf. Who cares the intention, right? Right? 

If someone buys a DVD just to own it but never watch it, that still counts as a sale for the DVD. How people spend their money is up to them, counting sales is just that: counting sales at the point of purchase. Nothing more nothing less.

What is with users in here hating on the topic?
It's actually makes sense

6 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

This

5 hours ago, Klein said:

Should every artists on that compilation be added 2M sales to their total? So that 2M sales from one compilation somehow translates to a total of 36M sales? 

But also this!

There should be a spread of the percentage one artist gets

14 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

There should be a spread of the percentage one artist gets

The problem with that is how do you determine the share of each artists? Because we don't know what song or songs prompted the purchase from the customers.

And if we spread it evenly between every artists, then that's just ~100k and so it's pretty negligible anyway.

15 minutes ago, Klein said:

The problem with that is how do you determine the share of each artists? Because we don't know what song or songs prompted the purchase from the customers.

And if we spread it evenly between every artists, then that's just ~100k and so it's pretty negligible anyway.

Welp, 100k is 100k lol

But yea, there isn't any way to determine it

still, they used to do a lot of these compilations so they should add up good

Not this weird OP making it about Taylor 2 posts in just to cover the stupidity of the thread… :rip: 

• Haha 2

And who exactly is stopping you from doing so? Count whatever you want towards your faves' total sales it if it makes you feel better

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

The Today's Top Hits playlist has over 30 million subscribers and is consumed by more than 2 million people but that counts towards all artists' career totals? 

I'm sure these compilation sets were played during a house party the same way a playlist is in the streaming era, so why doesn't it count for Britney, the Backstreet Boys etc.? 

Keep it cute. 

because that would reflect consumption... and the consumption act stans of today are afraid that we would begin to track consumption of artists from the past. Their consumption would be in the trillions. 

3 hours ago, Squall said:

Not this weird OP making it about Taylor 2 posts in just to cover the stupidity of the thread… :rip: 

Und wieder warten auf das Endorphin
Endlich wir, endlos fühl'n
Unterwasserliebe und alles was du siehst
Ist die Luft nach oben (oh)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.