Beyoncé and Taylor Swift Prove the Power of Touring -BB

Kodak Energy

Initially, these bumps could be explained by the analysis of touring's local short-term impact on consumption. In each city that Beyoncé and Swift played, market-level streams immediately grew by 89% and 95%, respectively, on average. But as their tours continued, isolated regional bumps compounded on one another, with particular narratives and trends aggregating to a mountain of consumption at the national level.

spacer.png
For Beyoncé, the effects were teased out, as the tour's first leg in Europe allowed domestic streaming to build slowly before her North American arrival.

For “Energy,” a deep cut from Renaissance, she made a meal out of the lyric, “Look around, everybody on mute.” She took it literally, pausing the song and freezing alongside her dancers and band, teasing the audience before resuming, “Look around, it's me and my crew/ Big energy.”The Mute Challenge soon became an integral part of the show. By the time “Energy" hit its own streaming peak of 1.7 million clicks (week ending Sept. 7), it had nearly tripled its consumption from before the tour.

When Beyoncé performed “My Power,” a non-single from The Lion King: The Gift, she was joined by daughter Blue Ivy Carter on stage. Their much-memed and much-imitated dance routine entered the cannon of iconic Beyoncé choreography, with fans tracking Blue's progress throughout the tour. The track posted explosive streaming gains over several months, ultimately up 449% by its peak (the week ending Aug. 17) from before the tour's launch (the week ending May 4).

spacer.png

Swift's catalog soared as soon as her tour began on March 17. Even before the July 7 release of Speak Now (Taylor's Version), which warped her streams beyond the impact of The Eras Tour, consumption had almost doubled, at 372.9 million clicks in the week ending June 1. After the new release receded, her catalog maintained, at 391.4 million by the U.S. leg's end in the week ending Aug. 10.

Like Beyoncé, Swift found songs within her ever-expanding catalog to highlight, particularly those that weren't already world-conquering hits. Even with a nightly setlist of more than 40 songs, she left room each night to perform two rotating “surprise songs.” On average, the surprise songs got a 27% bump the week of their performance. Removing performances of songs from Speak Now after the release of the Taylor's Version set, more affected by new-release streaming patterns than the typical tour impact, the average gain bumps to 31%.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/beyonce-taylor-swift-touring-streaming/

Edited by Kodak Energy

Taylor's streamings just going up and up during the course of the US shows. :rofl:

Also not her averaging like 300M streams weekly across the tour. :gaycat6:

• Like 1

They mixed up Bey's NY and LA dates

Beyonce's monthly listeners before Renaissance was barely 30 million.

Now, she's at almost 75 million listeners so I would say releasing often and touring do create wonder for your streaming numbers! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kh-Loud said:

Beyonce's monthly listeners before Renaissance was barely 30 million.

Now, she's at almost 75 million listeners so I would say releasing often and touring do create wonder for your streaming numbers! 

All major artists see a huge increase in their catalogues whenever they release new music or do something that generates high interest (Rihanna's India wedding gig, Beyonce's Dubai gig) etc.

Part of it also comes from the fact that Spotify relies heavily on recommendation algorithm. It means that when you listen to a song by artist A, the algorithm will recommend more songs of that artist in your Daily Mix and AI-generated playlists. When you keep that cycle going, the algorithm will recognise that you are now a fan of the artist, and will keep pushing their music to your mix. 

• Like 1

It's cool to see tours support the album again. That's what they were originally for after all. :psych:

I think people want collective experiences again. Tours, cinema, etc. We're tired of consuming individually and it shows. You're even seeing TV shows and stuff releasing week by week again instead of all at once to binge on our own time. It's great.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.