Person called xenophobic for not using WhatsApp goes (almost) viral on X. Thoughts?

mercurialworld

WhatsApp is a messaging platform with a huge global user base, and it has become a staple in many people's daily lives, much like iMessage or Facebook Messenger. The above tweet provoked some think pieces, emphasizing that our reliance on certain apps could be harming communities. But what does ATRL think? Are we too quick to label others as "xenophobic" for not using a popular app? Or could there be potential consequences for not embracing global communication?

P.S. I only called it X instead of Twitter in the title because of the character length :sistrens:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tropez

• Trent W

• family.guy123

• Kayseri Mantisi

have you seen how ugly it is though?

We don't use WhatsApp in my country (USA). Pretty much all of us use iMessage.

It's not xenophobic because we are messaging our friends who live near us, not strangers halfway across the globe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The thing that annoys me about WhatsApp (or any other messaging service really) is that it’s annoying to have certain people that you exclusively need to talk to on one platform. 

like it would just be easier to text/imessage everyone rather than some people messaging by text, some on whatsapp, some on ig etc. etc. etc. 

ACTUALLY did anyone have a blackberry because the inbox on those would just collate your messages from ALL apps… bring that back

Edited by sh0ckw4ves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This reminds me of that “talking about Spotify is racist” thread. 

Edited by byzantium
  • Haha 1

Americans always trying to be different.. just use WhatsApp like rest of the world

Edited by burninredhot
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

It's a cultural thing

Nobody and I mean nobody I know who isn't an immigrant has whatsapp, there's just no need for it

It's like discord, I have friends who use it as their main method of communication but I'm not downloading an entire app for one group chat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SMS remains superior

• Haha 1

as an American i noticed many foreigners use whatsapp to keep in contact with they friends/fam in their country.

It's not a thing in the US unless you are an immigrant, or a foreigner with family out of the country. Next. 

iMessage and SMS simply have a stronghold on the market here.

Edited by LustSpell
  • Thumbs Down 1

My PT won’t use WhatsApp as he doesn’t like it, so let me send him this tweet. :fan:

The way i had to Google that term :rip:

OverSensitivity is at its highest peak ngl. Its alarming 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

We use Viber in my country

am I xenophobic?

A

5 minutes ago, LustSpell said:

It's not a thing in the US unless you are an immigrant, or a foreigner with family out of the country. Next.

It's giving

kelly-osbourne-angmerino.gif

• Haha 6

I’d rather be seen as xenophobic than use what’s app

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I only use it to keep in touch with people back in spain or other countries 

But I am guilty of pretending to be a “deluded American” when I don’t wanna share my number with someone

I use say that we don’t use it in the US

Telegram >>>

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Man Who said:

My PT won’t use WhatsApp as he doesn’t like it, so let me send him this tweet. :fan:

spacer.png

It could be worse though, at least he’s not an Android user. 

spacer.png

• Haha 5

In Germany Almost everyone uses WhatsApp. It's Strange when Young people don't use that at all.

• Like 1

Wait, my cousins from the US use it. I thought it was somehow popular over there :jonnycat:

Most Americans have no need to ever know about or care what WhatsApp even is

Edited by Aaron

7 minutes ago, Daddy said:

Americans still write SMS and use feet as measurements...

Americans mostly use iMessage. Which isn’t SMS. And the US isn’t the only country that doesn’t use WhatsApp. No one says anything about Japan and China not using it. 

Honestly it doesn’t make a difference. I wish people would not use WhatsApp because Facebook is an evil company. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.