Dua Lipa - 'Radical Optimism'

SweetTalker

3 minutes ago, Dialamba said:

+ sabrina makes basic pop songs so it's not about the music but the aura/charisma/relatability.
Dua is too detached and polished she has nothing to sell expect generic lyrics. 

Her selling point is catchy fresh songs with good productions.

Not selling pseudo-deep concepts like "radical optimism". It gives off the same detached mess Shawn is currently trying to serve and also failing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• Cain

• SayIt

• Relampago.

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst part is her teasing a dark psychedelic album, only for it to be a summer album and then ignoring everything about it in Summer.….

Budget for this era is non-existent, I'm sure they wouldn't have minded releasing a mv for any of the songs around album release!

• Like 5

The way the Ian Kirkpatrick produced songs on Sabrina's S&S are actually incredible. Oh Dua… she really messed up by scrapping most of his productions on RO and keeping those Danny L Harle x Kevin Parker messes :deadbanana4:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

29 minutes ago, TayDuaStan said:

The way the Ian Kirkpatrick produced songs on Sabrina's S&S are actually incredible. Oh Dua… she really messed up by scrapping most of his productions on RO and keeping those Danny L Harle x Kevin Parker messes :deadbanana4:

We should not underestimate the fact that him producing the whole album is the main reason the album underperformed. He has shown time and time again that he will fail the pop girls pretty badly. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

48 minutes ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

The worst part is her teasing a dark psychedelic album, only for it to be a summer album and then ignoring everything about it in Summer.….

Budget for this era is non-existent, I'm sure they wouldn't have minded releasing a mv for any of the songs around album release!

They obvi had plans but dropped everything after the reception to the album was so awful. I think that was a good move. No need to act out of desperation and damage her brand & the perception the GP has of her like Katy did for example. 

• Like 3

Her next move should be to surprise drop a new album this fall, with a totally different sound. Now that would be the best course of action. Based on how bad RO is performing on charts, the GP isn't that aware she recently released so this way she could rebound :cm:

11 minutes ago, TayDuaStan said:

Her next move should be to surprise drop a new album this fall, with a totally different sound. Now that would be the best course of action. Based on how bad RO is performing on charts, the GP isn't that aware she recently released so this way she could rebound :cm:

Hmm, she's been on holiday for most of July and August and from latest loved up images with Mr Callum Turner, I think is safe to say her mind ain't in the recording studio mode right now anyway. And that is probably good, because a rushed album banged out in a few weeks or cobbled together from the cutting room floor from previous sessions does not sound like a solid way forward to me.

30 minutes ago, TayDuaStan said:

I feel like she should stop trying to be an album artist, that's what she attempted with RO for 3 years and failed. Rihanna type route with 11-12 straight upbeat bangers and singles from writing camp would be much better. Need some iconic mvs too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

This is not a drag sis. I wasn't shading Dua, so no need to be defensive. And when talking about an identity, I was talking about a visual identity, which she lacks. It's not that serious. 

So she is so faceless that she is literally "face of" top brands like YSL and Porsche and getting paid millions for it.

31 minutes ago, mike_int said:

So she is so faceless that she is literally "face of" top brands like YSL and Porsche and getting paid millions for it.

Again, this was not shade. Dua is one od my favorite artists. It's just hard connecting to her music cause the music doesn't tell me anything. It lacks identity. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

I feel like she should stop trying to be an album artist, that's what she attempted with RO for 3 years and failed. Rihanna type route with 11-12 straight upbeat bangers and singles from writing camp would be much better. Need some iconic mvs too!

Yes exactly it feels like they tried to push her the Taylor/Olivia/Billie route but failed badly coz that's just not her. It's inauthentic.

Just like Rihanna, Dua is more of a bombshell beauty who drops well produced and fresh bops. 

1 hour ago, Badgalbriel said:

Again, this was not shade. Dua is one od my favorite artists. It's just hard connecting to her music cause the music doesn't tell me anything. It lacks identity. 

I mean it's also her own fault. She tries to deny and bury the things the fans/GP tries to associate with her like for example the "vacanza queen" memes. 

It's like she is hellbent to stay faceless and regal. 

Edited by katara

I just hope her next album isn't gonna be released in 2027. Another 3/4 year gap will be career suicide, especially with how forgotten and boring this album and era was.

She needs to release in Q1 of 2026 at the latest.

3 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

Yeah, no, thank you. Her best songs aren't even singles so there's that to support the fact that she needs to continue to try to be an album artist. You can clearly see that on RO, where the singles (except Illusion) are like the worst songs on the album, by a mile. She's very hit or miss in terms of singles, look at her debut & FN singles, and to only get that and no albums… absolutely not:suburban:

• Thumbs Down 1

Duki needs to be fired asap cuz look at this

How did Sabrina Carpenter's S&S debut with 4 times what RO did…. :skull:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this is just a blip in her career (commercially) - the fact she's still selling out shows (Wembley twice, at that) means the GP isn't against her, just the music hasn't resonated as much. I do think her lack of relatability, personality (in terms of how personal her music is, but she has said she doesn't want her songs to be overly confessional) and humour (her songs don't have that playfulness) have made her suffer this year when compared to the likes of Taylor, Sabrina & Charli. But tides change all the time and this is a solid album which I think will be looked back on more fondly retroactively. Houdini is one of the greatest pop singles of the decade so far. I'm interested to see where she goes next.

• Like 4

And you'll say Dua shouldn't work with Jack Antonoff…. His sound is what's currently mega popular so Dua should have him (and Ian Kirkpatrick) on speed dial for DL4 :michael:

Edited by TayDuaStan

9 minutes ago, TayDuaStan said:

Yeah, no, thank you. Her best songs aren't even singles so there's that to support the fact that she needs to continue to try to be an album artist. You can clearly see that on RO, where the singles (except Illusion) are like the worst songs on the album, by a mile. She's very hit or miss in terms of singles, look at her debut & FN singles, and to only get that and no albums… absolutely not:suburban:

This horrid take :deadbanana2:

The RO singles are by far the best songs from RO

• Thanks 1

I'm so pressed

Why is it so easy for other girls with their whack ass bland snoozefests

:giraffe:

Houdini and Training Season are truly such incredible songs, they are both doing 1M+ daily still (Illusion isn't even doing a half of that and the rest...), why the hell the rest of the album doesn't sound like that. Even as a stan I hardly ever come back to anything else.

Edited by BlackoutZone

When life feels a little too radically optimistic, I just visit this thread and remind myself that there's always a more bitter and upsetting path to take when it comes to being a Dua stan :heart: 

• Haha 4

Keep Hack AntonOFF far away from Dua!

We don't need more bland, generic snoozefests clogging up the charts.

Houdini is miles better than anything Hack has produced in the last couple of years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Illusion was a huge summer hit in my local forest. It was played everyday by me and the trees loved it.

:ryan3:

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, NostalgiawithDua said:

I'm sure all songs debuting with 100M playlisting, all being #1 on TTH and the radio cheques were worth a few millions so the budget was there! :giraffe:

• Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, dangerousbutera said:

I think this is just a blip in her career (commercially) - the fact she's still selling out shows (Wembley twice, at that) means the GP isn't against her, just the music hasn't resonated as much. I do think her lack of relatability, personality (in terms of how personal her music is, but she has said she doesn't want her songs to be overly confessional) and humour (her songs don't have that playfulness) have made her suffer this year when compared to the likes of Taylor, Sabrina & Charli. But tides change all the time and this is a solid album which I think will be looked back on more fondly retroactively. Houdini is one of the greatest pop singles of the decade so far. I'm interested to see where she goes next.

I agree that she is just one or 2 new smashes away from continuing to where she left off with FN BUT she is also just some more flops away to losing her status completely. It's a tricky situation to be in.

Also touring success is tricky because you can have touring success long after being commercially over. Look at P!nk in general or how the Witness tour was a pretty big success. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.