Can truly untalented people have success in the industry?

BionicWooHoo

Can truly untalented people have success in the industry?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Can truly untalented people have success in the industry?

• Yes, industry plants are everywhere
    • No, you must have talent to some degree to have success

:coffee2: I can name plenty IMO 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lana Banana

• BionicWooHoo

• BrandNewBrandon

• Bitter Aging Twink

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The bar is pretty low when you look at who is the most popular singer in the world right now. But at least she can play instruments and knows how to write songs

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, BionicWooHoo said:

Is social media promotion a talent though? Its not like Selena is single-handedly running all her accounts. I'm sure she has a team of PR folks and marketing professionals telling her to do this or do that. As for the social media influencers of today, its honestly like...just be hot (and get lucky that the algorithm pushes your content). Like but is being hot a talent? 

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I’d argue that proper social media promotion is a “talent” in and of itself in this day and age.  There are millions of people trying to make it big on the internet right at this very moment, but very few of them will ever actually manage to do so.  What separates those who make it from those who don’t? Is being hot really enough if you don’t know how to pose, take pictures, work the camera, be charismatic and engaging, and write captions that will entice your followers? Yes, the bar for this type of “talent” may be lower than it is for most other professions, but you would still be remiss to argue that social media promotion doesn’t involve “talent” in some way, shape, or form - whether that’s coming from the star or the star’s team.

To clarify, what I meant…the “talent” in question only has to come from somewhere within the star’s orbit - not necessarily from the star themselves.  A good marketing manager and PR team can be a huge source of “talent” for otherwise talentless people.

5b9dfef55c61bf251dd329.15546337_.jpg

• Like 2

You only gotta be talented at selling yourself to make it in the industry

OT:

Spoiler

TS :fan:

HEY KIDS SPELLING IS FUN

I have literally cried about how relatable this is :cries: I wish I would have heard this live.

• Confused 1

I can't at people exposing and embarrassing themselves when talking about Britney in this thread :ahh:

Do you really think she got her record deal based on her dancing? Educate yourselves. (We have a remastered I Have Nothing by Whitney that Britney sang in order to get a record deal coming soon).

It helped that she danced and had the charisma on top of her voice, to begin with.

Just because her label chose to manufacture her as an Alvin Chipmunk for the most, doesn't mean she is untalented. Even BBMA 2016 (her last live performance), she was barely trying and still outdid whatever we have seen in the last years from pop artists.

Please, stop embarrassing yourselves :rip: Go watch DWAD and realize what real star power is. Definitely not what Taylor does today. If Britney did DWAD today, I can assure you. she would cash in the double of Taylor's income. Also, has anyone broken OIDA record yet with or without their discounts (let's not pretend they don't do those in order to break the OIDIA record)? :fan:

Edited by Lana Banana
  • Thanks 1

yes, look at britney and rihanna

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, blueberries said:

yes, look at britney and rihanna

浜崎あゆみ / Taylor Swift / Christina Aguilera / Dido

The jokes just write themselves :rip:

35215d5f7fd20e33f36e75f54b1f8b24.thumb.j

Edited by Lana Banana
  • Haha 1

let’s ask Ms. Britney 

spacer.png

• Thumbs Down 1

Yes

24fc6a6d-7cde-44fd-bf0d-9d59aeeaff5b.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

Strong PR relationship and in 1st phase of career convince people that you are beatiful and have pretty face. 

You can have a short period of success even if you're untalented with great marketing. However, it won't give you a successful career spanning multiple decades. 

britney spears and she has this one delusional fan that runs her mouth everywhere about a certain artist being talentless:ahh: its truly hilarious

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Yes, it can happen with people who are already famous, such as influencers or people from reality television. They can score a hit or two if their songs go viral but you need talent for long term success.

I mean people Like Brittany spears. And Camila Cabello are proof of it. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Even if you don't have the talent, you have to be super smart (or lucky) to have some success.

There are countless examples. Pretty privilege truly is a menace. 

Wasn't Britney in the Mickey Mouse Club where they had to sing and dance with other talented child actors Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera? :rip: 

You could definitely say she lost her sparkle now, but back then she did have talent.

britney, altough she was semi talented dancer for short period of time back in 2000s

• Thumbs Down 1

Aya Nakamura is the proof that yes. :ryan3:

Edited by Bencharmer
  • Thanks 1

I feel like people naming Britney are being really disingenuous. 

There's literally nobody out there in mainstream music nowadays outside Beyonce that could put on a show like her Dream Within A Dream tour. Nobody. She might be a shadow of her former self nowadays, but she was really something special in her hay day. 

7 hours ago, JO1s said:

Short term success yes. Long term no.

see: selena gomez

stan-twitter-ijbol.gif

Selena literally lacks ANY musical talent but she has some acting talent. 

The Accelerate singer for sure

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.