Billboard Charts (Week of March 16, 2024)

Renan90

1 hour ago, pride4jc1222 said:

In my opinion, a stream of a song should as 1/x of a unit of the album, where x is the number of songs on the album. So a stream of good 4 u would count as 1/11 a unit for Guts, a stream of Way 2 Sexy counts as 1/21 a unit of CLB, and a stream of Last Night counts as 1/36 a unit of OTaaT. In that way, the album with the most songs doesn't get an unfair advantage over the album with the least songs.

In my opinion, a stream of a song shouldn’t count towards an album “unit” unless 1. The consumer actually clicks on the album and streams the music from there  (streaming a song from TTH is not consuming an album) and 2. The consumer listens to the entire album. 

i realise the second point is kind of impractical to figure out on an individual level so I’m willing to compromise on this. But there’s no reason album units should exceed units contributed by the least streamed song. 

for example, the least streamed song on OTAAT has ~27 million streams? 27m / 1500 or whatever the **** their dumb formula is = 18,000 total album units for OTAAT (from Spotify).

instead billboard has it at like 2.8 million 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• pride4jc1222

• family.guy123

• Renan90

That being said, don’t think that I believe OTAAT has “sold” 18,000 “units”.

its been streamed 4.3 billion times on Spotify. That’s it. No conversion necessary cause, you know, the way we interact with music/albums has fundamentally changed. But billboard has convinced everyone that since industry revenues are similar to what they used to be that everything is business as usual