The Sheena Ringo Singles Rate [winner revealed]

Suilen

3 minutes ago, AMIT said:

not just Sunny sadly...

Well, Sanya has a shaky theme of positivity, Sandokushi, on the other hand... But we'll get to it once its final representation is out.

400px-Shiina_Ringo_-_Shijou_no_Jinsei_promo.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• AMIT

• Curaga

• Kyle-x

Top Posters In This Topic

Slide / すべりだい

slide.png

Score: 7,66 Album: Watashi to Houden

Big Sheensters: Kyle-x, confide in me (10)

Little NishiNOsters: mathekr (5)

The debut single that got away. As legend has it, Sheena wanted Slide to be the A-side, but her label disagreed and switched it with Koufukuron. Would her career have been different had the things gone her way? It's fun to speculate, but probably not, as the hit of the album was Koko de Kiss Shite (RIP), and Marunouchi Sadistic overshadowed all the singles anyway. Sheena got her way 10 years later when the song got released as a promo single for Watashi to Houden, but it only charted at no. 91 or something, confirming the label's apprehension. Still, in such disputes I'll always be on the artist's side, and EMI didn't know who they were dealing with. The song seems to be iconic in the Japanese part of the Internet due to its depressive lyrics, with some blog comparing a song to a will and saying that it's more appropriate for such a song to be an artist's last rather than first. Sounds like an exaggeration, as the song simply documents a relationship's end, comparing it to a slide. In the end, Sheena is still infatuated with the guy despite his lies and sexual demands, and she'd like to, well, climb up and slide down again, but she never got the closure and is waiting for him to vanish from her memories.

Ewan Chaos can't stop dropping those gaming references, while the only switch Sheena knows is in her bed: "The Gameboy glitch moment, OKAYYYYYYY.’  AMIT is a fan and doesn't appreciate the snub: "love the vibe and the melodies! I still think it deserved a spot on her debut... oh well.” Subomie is awed by the quality: "Not this b-side kind of eating half the actual singles in the rate...” Yeah, it kind of ate its A-side, too, but we'll get to that… soon.’  Kyle-x probably caught a whiff of Sheena being slightly obsessive on the song: "Impeccable showstopping never been done before.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ariamaru Tomi is great. The second half is AMAZING.

AviGavinTurek1.thumb.gif.7a75dda76f37653

• Like 1

I've relistened to Slide a couple of times after sending my ratings ballot and I regret my 7 now, should have been a 9-9.5.

ezgif-2-6b4cf3b4e0.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Yeah, it kind of ate its A-side, too, but we'll get to that… soon.

Pardon??

:suburban:

I am a bit surprised this got so far, but deserved! Koufukuron has more of a ''first single'' energy, but I wouldn't be mad if Slide got its spot. Love both!

Not you expecting a 10yo song to smash in the charts though, sis. s:wan:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Subomie said:

Pardon??

:suburban:

well...

Koufukuron / 幸福論

koufuku.png

Score: 7,79 Album: Muzai Moratorium

Big Sheensters: Curaga (10)

Little NishiNOsters: madonnas (5)

Muzai Moratotirum can't catch a break and loses another single, this time Sheena's debut. Some of the backstory was already explained in the Slide entry, so I won't reiterate it. It's a bit ironic that they left like this, right? Koufukuron can be translated as both 'The Theory of Happiness' (which is an actual thing, apparently) and 'The Debate over Happiness', starting Sheena's tradition of ambiguous titles. I think that both interpretations make sense as she might be debating with herself whether that person really makes her happy and then coming to the conclusion that he does. The song was inspired by the same guy from Fukuoka Koko de Kiss Shite is about, like damn sis, that D must've been out of this world (though I maintain that she's could've been the one doing the pegging, so in that case, ass). I personally find inspiration in seeing my enemies fall, but to each their own. Sheena was also unsatisfied with the single's arrangement, hence her desire to make Slide the A-side, and I have to agree with her here as I prefer the album version and had to extract some points (someone has to follow the rate's rules).

Curaga surprisingly stans the song, so maybe AMIT won't murder him today: "Super fun song! Love the chorus melody so much.” AMIT prefers the single version despite what his fave says: "the album version grew on me with time, but I still love the single version more! it's so cute, catchy and wholesome pop song. a great introduction to her career even if it wasn't always intended as such!” Ewan Chaos saw right through the song's intentions: "She said DING DONG *****” Subomie is with me in the indie opinions department: "An unpopular opinion perhaps but I THINK I prefer the album cut a bitsy, being screamed at thru a vocoder is actually a kink of mine.” madonnas supports Sheena's vision: "I prefer the other version, the more uptempo version.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The least good single from the album, but still knocks. :suburban:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The top 15:

歌舞伎町の女王 / Kabuki-cho no Joou
本能 / Honnou
ギブス / Gips
罪と罰 / Tsumi to Batsu
虚言症 / Kyogenshou
真夜中は純潔 / Mayonaka wa Junketsu
茎 / Stem
迷彩 / Meisai
意識 / Ishiki
旬 / Shun -Season- 
流行 / Ryuukou - Vogue
熱愛発覚中 / J'ai trouvé l'amour
いろはにほへと / Irohanihoheto
孤独のあかつき / La Solitude de l'aube
鶏と蛇と豚 / Gate of Living

Fun fact: All of Sheena's studio albums are represented in the top 15.

The ratings didn't smash today, but that's ok, appreciate the comments from those who were here and will be here soon to witness their faves' massacre. The next batch is on Friday as I'll need both Saturday and Sunday to work on the final update. Post what songs should exit ASAP!

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh wow the controversy around this song. Some people preferring the album version, Curaga apparently not being alergic to good taste in the beginning but going straight downhill afterwards, the pegging revelations. Iconic debut singles only! 

AviGavinTurek1.thumb.gif.7a75dda76f37653

• Haha 2

The way I was about to drag Gate of Living for making it this far but went onto YT to see what's the tea and yes, it's great. Too high still.

TXaWN5v.thumb.gif.fae143e9123ac3febbdd33

• Like 2

Wait the Sanmon Gossip songs still in. :lakitu: I don't hate either, but I'm actually shocked they're smashing like this.

Also low key thought Mayonaka would be (undeservingly) out by now, glad that it proved me wrong!

However these two did not deserve to be anywhere near the TOP 20:

孤独のあかつき / La Solitude de l'aube
鶏と蛇と豚 / Gate of Living

:oxygen2:

• Like 1

All of the 2010s songs could leave next tbh :suburban:

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2024 at 2:42 AM, madonnas said:

Season and vogue for the top 5 :duca:  

Maybe madonnas wasn't completely off-base here...

• Confused 1

Honnou / Mayonaka / Meisai for top three iktr.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Subomie said:

Honnou / Mayonaka / Meisai for top three iktr.

The Tsumi to Batsu snub, but otherwise I see the vision.

TXaWN5v.thumb.gif.fae143e9123ac3febbdd33

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suilen said:

長く短い祭 / No verão, as noites

festival.png

Score: 7,58 Album: Sandokushi

Big Sheensters: mathekr, Curaga, Kyle-x (10)

Little NishiNOsters: AMIT (1,5)

The controversial single is finally here, to some people's elation and some people's chagrin. I'm neither a hater nor a lover, but it's important to point out that the song itself is not as remarkable as the fact that some fans decided to end things with Sheena over it and went off to worship their new queen, Seiko Oomori, though Ayano Kaneko apparently also gained fans due to the schism. Maybe it was a combination of it being a jingle (and the overall image of Sheena being chic and upper class), the overuse of auto-tune and the frustration over Sheena just not being on the same level as she'd been before TJ that led to the exodus, I don't know. But I do love the drama. Anyway, back to the song itself. The title is a bit nonsensical – 'A long short festival.’ Is it long or is it short? The Portuguese title is equally baffling – 'In summer, night.” Night what? Well, the lyrics do clarify that Sheena implores us to enjoy the moment, and a moment is short, but the pleasant experience will probably make it feel longer than it's supposed to be. The night bit is intentionally ambiguous because yeah, a festival happens at night, there are fireworks, wow. But what else happens at night? SEX. Take it as you will. As for the auto-tune, well, she's no Cher, but she tried. Now those ex-fans hear auto-tune everywhere as a part of their PTSD.

Putting this comment by Curaga here will probably work as a red rag to AMIT's bull, but I've said, I love drama: "Love this one so much omg! The auto-tuned vocals are so bizarre with the jazz instrumental, but I love it! Super fun melody. 11 contender.” AMIT obviously regrets wasting his 0 on A Life Supreme that would tank anyway and annihilates the jingle by saying the following: "I love the ending! as in, right before it ends and flows into the other, actual good a-side single. no idea what was going on before that... and then she ruins that one thing on the actual album :bibliahh: .“ Ewan Chaos offends both Charli XCX and Xbox (now, I welcome that one) by dragging them into this mess: "Oh end Charli XBOX for me Sheen-autotune.” Subomie decided that the song was a gag at the end of the day, greatly aggravating AMIT: "Subversive genius. The way Sheena Ringo uses autotune is akin to the way Jimi Hendrix uses a guitar, it's an instrument that she's mastered.” Meloetta Carey wants to draw our attention to the song's impact: "this sounds like the opening from the two 2020s anime I've watched, considering it came out in 2015 I guess you could say Shiina mothered them a bit.” Well, that explains the current state of j-pop. Kyle-x knows how to ruffle AMIT's feathers: "It's a hit regardless of what anyone says!”

This song is quite grating honestly, but once you get past the auto-tune and get into it, it is sooooo catchy and fun. I just love the chorus melody so much. I guess I'm not surprised by the placement because, despite loving it to death, I know exactly how AMIT, or anybody, could hate this song ddd.

She looks so fkn fierce in the visuals omg

:jonnycat:

also sorry I'm late, I got put on a work call right as the reveals started 🤡

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suilen said:

Ariamaru Tomi / ありあまる富

tomi.png

Score: 7,61 Album: Hi Izuru Tokoro (SUNNY)

Big Sheensters: mathekr (11)

Little NishiNOsters: madonnas (1)

The first single off Sunny that shares its photoshoot and the name of the b-side with Sanmon Gossip despite being released prior to SG. A bit weird, isn't it? One explanation is that the album's production was over by that point, and Ariamaru Tomi didn't make the cut. Another explanation is that Ariamaru Tomi fit the concept of SHINE BRIGHT LIKE THE SUN more, and it's evident in the uplifting lyrics. "Your wealth (aka the wealth inside you) is overflowing.” I wish. Yeah, basically, the real wealth can't be seen, but people can steal your happiness, I suppose? Thus, we shouldn't let them do it, we shouldn't listen to them and their lies. And even if they steal some of it from you, it may be annoying, but you should keep on living, as the wealth will be there as long as you're alive. I appreciate the positive message, but the song kind of makes me drowsy. Share some of your real wealth with me, queen, and then we'll see.

mathekr thinks this is the pinnacle of her career while dragging Carnation as the start of the decline, almost discarded those troll scores: "Easily her masterpiece.” AMIT again promotes the b-side: "usually I'm not very fond of more acoustic stuff like this, but I like how she did it here, the guitar work is great throughout the song. I must say the b-side is even better and a crazy song in the best way, y'all should definitely give it a chance!” Meloetta Carey sees both sides: "sounds like a hit and who doesn't love those? it does drag a bit sometimes but it's cute overall.” Well, I wouldn't like to live in a country where songs like this are hits (I live in a country where Dua Lipa's songs are topping the charts).

wait, not madonnas, the ultimate Sanmon Gossip truther, giving this honorary SG single a 1 :deadbanana2: It's a great song!

Just now, Curaga said:

wait, not madonnas, the ultimate Sanmon Gossip truther, giving this honorary SG single a 1 :deadbanana2: It's a great song!

Well, she's not gossiping on the song, so I get it.

57 minutes ago, Suilen said:

C~U~R~A~G~A

1s7l.gif

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Koufukuron / 幸福論

AMIT prefers the single version despite what his fave says: "the album version grew on me with time, but I still love the single version more! it's so cute, catchy and wholesome pop song. a great introduction to her career even if it wasn't always intended as such!” 

@AMIT oh you SPILLED :gaycattel: The single version is better, and I'm GAGGED to see this exit already

I really thought this was coming for #1 :'( Can't believe I gave the only 10!

Excuse me Slide should have been top 10 at least too :suburban:

Kabuki-cho & Ishiki absolutely need to be next out. My 10s are all shockingly in but let me keeping those scores to the chest for now :suburban:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curaga said:

@AMIT oh you SPILLED :gaycattel: The single version is better, and I'm GAGGED to see this exit already

Well like I said I thought I couldn't just give everything up to Ringo no Uta a 10, which is kinda dumb in hindsight and I wish I had done that anyway.

But yes, at least you pulled through this 1 (one) time.

• Haha 3

So late but i can't believe Koko De Kiss Shite is out that fast :monkey:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Curaga said:

Maybe your 11 is coming for no. 1... but let's hope for your sake that it isn't or this will be AMIT's reaction:

72dfe56cba79014394f4e730704ec092e0a39369.jpg

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.