Why Gaga doesn't use her Paparazzi vocals anymore?

shyboi

she sounded like a pop angel sent from above, the clear and smooth spoken verses and then, the soft sultry choruses

"i'm your biggest fan

I'll follow you until you love me

pa-pa, paparazzi" 

She did it again in Bloody Mary and Heavy Metal Lover 

"i won't cry for you
i won't crucify the things you do"

"tonight bring all your friends

becuz a group does it betta"

Then, even in ARTPOP (the song) they are gone and replaced by more dramatic, graspy tones

Was this an artistic choice? 

Edited by shyboi
  • Like 4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• Mandalay

• Cameltoe Chariot

• GraceRandolph

Top Posters In This Topic

She Can't Hit those notes anymore

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 6

When renewing her contract with Satan she opted for the dope vocals instead of the ethereal ones.

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, queenoftheclouds said:

She Can't Hit those notes anymore

Mmm, I think those soft vocals are way easier than the higher ones she does now? That's clearly not the problem

• Like 3

I would argue that it's because her approach to pop music changed.

Within her first album, though she never quite said it (I don't think), it seems clear that she is both parodying and celebrating the idea of the celebrity-turned-popstar. Think Paris Hilton. Brooke Hogan. Heidi Montag. All of them made great pop bops but were not taken seriously because of their existing stardom which made it seem like their artistry was just handed to them. Gaga flipped that, and made the artistry make her famous and involved her performance-artistry by portraying this sort of vapid, Fame-obessed aspiring popstar and with that came vocals that aligned to that sort of songwriting and performance. She also often used a more "baby voiced" approach on certain songs. In the case of what's outlined in the OP, I think that sort of spoken approach is a hallmark of the kind of pop she's referencing, and even in other artists like Uffie or Gwen Stefani who were clear inspirations.

As she sort of moved away from just lampooning/celebrating pop fame, the vocals changed to embody the approach of her new concepts.

Edited by swissman
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Her head voice is way more accessible and easier to use than the beltings that she's able to do (and she does it perfectly unlike some popstars that sound like they are screaming).

Yeah I miss her summer boy vocals. 

• Like 1

I thought her voice got deeper when Bad Romance happened :redface:

19 minutes ago, swissman said:

Within her first album, though she never quite said it (I don't think), it seems clear that she is both parodying and celebrating the idea of the celebrity-turned-popstar. Think Paris Hilton. Brooke Hogan. Heidi Montag. All of them made great pop bops but were not taken seriously because of their existing stardom which made it seem like their artistry was just handed to them. Gaga flipped that, and made the artistry make her famous and involved her performance-artistry by portraying this sort of vapid, Fame-obessed aspiring popstar and with that came vocals that aligned to that sort of songwriting and performance. She also often used a more "baby voiced" approach on certain songs. In the case of what's outlined in the OP, I think that sort of spoken approach is a hallmark of the kind of pop she's referencing, and even in other artists like Uffie or Gwen Stefani who were clear inspirations.

As she sort of moved away from just lampooning/celebrating pop fame, the vocals changed to embody the approach of her new concepts.

Just now, Devin said:

her 2007-2013 vocals > 

she uses her head voice now.

yeah, I would like to hear the opinion of like a vocal coach, maybe they can give us more insight

idk anything about that, like i know there's nasal voice, chest voice, etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devin said:

her 2007-2013 vocals > 

she uses her head voice now.

tea. idk there's something about vocals after artpop that made them unbearable to me :rip:

but i think this is a problem most of the pop girls have. avril changed her vocal tone so much after gaining some " artistic freedom " 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

she stopped trying to sound like gwen stefani

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

She recorded those songs when she was 19/20 she’d now almost 40 :toofunny2: im just glad she’s still able to sing and record her own albums etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I mean she still can if she wants to 

like in Heal Me for example 

• Like 1

Them LoveGame vocals :smitten:

I wanna kiss yew but eef I dew then I might meess yew beughb

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Cameltoe Chariot
31 minutes ago, swissman said:

Ooof I LOVE this, you're spot on sister :clap3:

• Like 1

She could never sing it in that key live

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

I think it's just because she's closing in on 40 now and isn't in her late teens/early 20s anymore.

I like her soft voice and I like her deep voice. If she just tones down the theatricality of her vocal delivery a touch then things will be great.

Edited by Gelato

she's using a way chestier mix these days when belting so not sure why its being said she uses more head voice now !

i think having to sing "bigger" and more dynamic for the jazz stuff and "grittier" for the hard electro pop on ARTPOP mixed with the fact she's older has contributed!! i would still like some softer vocals tho ofc <3

that being said, soft or gritty, as long as her vocals remain as theatrical, im going to listen lol.

• Like 3

a lot of people saying it's because she can't sing like that anymore but did you read what the OP is referencing? none of those lines are explicitly high or hard. they're actually simple and it's really not a matter of a lack of ability rather than a change in direction.

because honestly, do you think Gaga who can sing an entire Jazz concert can't sing the lines in the OP?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cameltoe Chariot
6 minutes ago, Cheers said:

She could never sing it in that key live

2 minutes ago, Shimenawa said:

Too many cigs and alcohol

ECeX3VpVUAUiNMd.jpg

• Haha 7

Yes I agree so much! I always loved those Gaga vocals. I hate how now she does electropop songs but uses those jazz vocals. It does not sound good :doc:

• Like 1

Her vocal approach from album to album was changing. 

It's like her vocals are getting more and more theatrical.I

liked older vocals style the best but it's fine now too

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.