IFPI Global Charts 2023 | #1… Artist: Taylor Swift, Single: "Flowers", Album: 'FML'

Feanor

BrandNewBrandon
1 minute ago, By the Water said:

Taylor had the highest grossing tour of all time and a box office smash on top of all her sales and streams. Not everything is about quick little singles but I don't expect a Lady Gaga fan to understand that

No one mentioned Lady Gaga. Adele reigned more than Taylor but you Taylor stans will run with an "all-time" label like ya'll lives depended on it. Adele is right there. And Gaga didn't have a tour film in cinemas when she peaked so who tf are you to imply what she could or couldn't do. 

I'm not even going to go into the touring boom specifics but this was about Taylor outdoing Adele which she won't. But I get how Taylor stans who are majorly arrogant won't acknowledge this. 

• Thumbs Down 19

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feanor

• Green

• Miley Cyrus

• Squall

11 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

No one mentioned Lady Gaga. Adele reigned more than Taylor but you Taylor stans will run with an "all-time" label like ya'll lives depended on it. Adele is right there. And Gaga didn't have a tour film in cinemas when she peaked so who tf are you to imply what she could or couldn't do. 

I'm not even going to go into the touring boom specifics but this was about Taylor outdoing Adele which she won't. But I get how Taylor stans who are majorly arrogant won't acknowledge this. 

Aren’t you the one that claimed Gaga’s the Fame is bigger than the Beatle’s entire career cause 95% of its total units are illegal and not count? Didn’t you also imply that Carly Rae Jepson was bigger single artist than Taylor cause she has a YE #1 single and Taylor doesn’t? And now you call other people arrogant?:bibliahh:

Edited by HappierJealousy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 9

BrandNewBrandon
38 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

Aren’t you the one that claimed Gaga’s the Fame is bigger than the Beatle’s entire career cause 95% of its total units are illegal and not count? Didn’t you also imply that Carly Rae Jepson was bigger single artist than Taylor cause she has a YE #1 single and Taylor doesn’t? And now you call other people arrogant?:bibliahh:

Never said any of that lol. 95% of music consumption in the digital era was illegal, read up on it: https://hothardware.com/news/95-of-music-downloads-are-illegal-ifpi

"The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) has released its report on Digital Music 2009. According to the report (.PDF). It concludes that despite initiatives by the music industry, 95% of music downloads continue to be illegal.

Yes, the IFPI, or as it's known, the global version of the RIAA, says that 40 billion songs were illegally downloaded in 2008, and the report goes on to state that"

And that was the year Lady Gaga had the #1 and #2 song lol. So yeah, her entire era would've been even bigger with legal downloads. This is a thread about the IFPI and that is a direct quote FROM the IFPI. Modern artists have LEGAL music consumption from London to Hong Kong, from New York to Cape Town and you are going to act that music consumption and achievements in the streaming era are AT ALL comparable to the digital era? 

And I don't think you know what arrogance means. 

Edited by BrandNewBrandon
  • Thumbs Down 9

54 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

The Eras Tour Film outgrossed Gaga's all of Gaga's tours so I'm not sure how you think her tour movie would compete with Taylor even during her throwback peak

Anyway, let's stop pretending swifties are the only ones talking about her dominance her past year hasn't been seen in decades

• Like 8

BrandNewBrandon
16 minutes ago, By the Water said:

The Eras Tour Film outgrossed Gaga's all of Gaga's tours so I'm not sure how you think her tour movie would compete with Taylor even during her throwback peak

Anyway, let's stop pretending swifties are the only ones talking about her dominance her past year hasn't been seen in decades

And Harry Styles outgrossed Michael Jackson. Beyoncé outgrossed Madonna. What you are doing is implying Harry and Beyoncé are bigger than MJ and Madonna. 

Fact is, everyone and their mothers are outgrossing past tours and that's not because they're more popular. And I've seen it in decades. Every decade. The dominance of 2010s started out with Gaga and ended with Adele, the 2000s had Britney (and Eminem), the 90s had the Spice Girls and Mariah Carey, the 80s had Michael Jackson. Taylor does not have the biggest album and song and is the #1 artist of the year simultaneously UNLIKE Adele and Britney and the Spice Girls or Michael Jackson. Heck, even Usher who we all seem to forget about had a huge gigantic peak with Confessions being the #1 album and Yeah! being the biggest hit of 2004. Streaming has just increased $$$$$ from countries and territories that the IFPI did not have access to or legal sales from during the pre-streaming eras (countries in LATAM, eastern Europe, Asia).

• Thumbs Down 11

37 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Never said any of that lol. 95% of music consumption in the digital era was illegal, read up on it: https://hothardware.com/news/95-of-music-downloads-are-illegal-ifpi

"The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) has released its report on Digital Music 2009. According to the report (.PDF). It concludes that despite initiatives by the music industry, 95% of music downloads continue to be illegal.

Yes, the IFPI, or as it's known, the global version of the RIAA, says that 40 billion songs were illegally downloaded in 2008, and the report goes on to state that"

And that was the year Lady Gaga had the #1 and #2 song lol. So yeah, her entire era would've been even bigger with legal downloads. This is a thread about the IFPI and that is a direct quote FROM the IFPI. Modern artists have LEGAL music consumption from London to Hong Kong, from New York to Cape Town and you are going to act that music consumption and achievements in the streaming era are AT ALL comparable to the digital era? 

And I don't think you know what arrogance means. 

I don’t really need to read this long essay which has nothing to do with this thread, but you need to read this simple and effective statement from Lewis Morrison, Director of Charts and Certifications at IFPI regarding Taylor’s success this year:

https://www.ifpi.org/taylor-swift-confirmed-by-ifpi-as-biggest-selling-global-recording-artist-of-the-year/

We are immensely proud to award the IFPI Global Recording Artist of the Year Award to Taylor Swift for the fourth time, as she continues to redefine the limits of global success”

If you don’t have any reading ability issues you will know that Taylor’s global success in 2023 is something they never witnessed and a definitely new high peak in decades. But apparently, ATRL users @BrandNewBrandon will keep thinking their brainless and biased opinion/analysis on commercial performance is much more evidential than the executive of IFPI’s chart apartment, which is the definition of arrogance. Anyway, I think it’s time to prepare your own lil essay for next year’s IFPI cause another year for Taylor at the top is on lock and it will mark her 5th win and 3 years in a row. Can’t wait to read your essay about how Gaga and Adele’s peak are bigger than Taylor’s 2024/2025/… honestly! :bibliahh:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

BrandNewBrandon
1 minute ago, HappierJealousy said:

We are immensely proud to award the IFPI Global Recording Artist of the Year Award to Taylor Swift for the fourth time, as she continues to redefine the limits of global success

This is basically a statement anyone who's saying anything about anyone hugely successful will say. But hey, they also said:

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) has released its report on Digital Music 2009. According to the report (.PDF). It concludes that despite initiatives by the music industry, 95% of music downloads continue to be illegal.

2 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

This is basically a statement anyone who's saying anything about anyone hugely successful will say. But hey, they also said:

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) has released its report on Digital Music 2009. According to the report (.PDF). It concludes that despite initiatives by the music industry, 95% of music downloads continue to be illegal

What’s your point exactly? Did I say the illegal sales didn’t exist? Aren’t I the first one in this thread to mention the Fame’s 95% illegal units? :suburban:

• Haha 3

BrandNewBrandon
6 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Why is it always this one user derailing every thread. 

Why is it always the SAME users who are all Swift stans who can't accept counter-arguments to simple facts.

No one was derailing this thread. Someone said Taylor has the biggest peak ever, I said no, and then another Taylor stan who wasn't even in the discussion starts ranting :laugh: This isn't derailing the thread when all of it is about the IFPI. Anyways, you do you, none of you listen to facts so it's like arguing with a wall and I sensed that that's why most non-Taylor supporters are just avoiding these types of threads because there are no discussions with you guys.  

• Thumbs Down 13

BrandNewBrandon
5 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

What’s your point exactly? Did I say the illegal sales didn’t exist? Aren’t I the first one in this thread to mention the Fame’s 95% illegal units? :suburban:

Taylor Swift is the first artist to peak this massively at a time when music consumption can be traced from 99% of the world which in turn also means that previous peaks such as Lady Gaga, Adele, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears would presumably have been bigger in healthier markets and with more countries revealing their sales. It's super simple. I'm taken as this Taylor hater when the only thing I'm babbling on about is that her peak is not THE biggest. That's all. Everything else she's doing is super impressive and hats of to that but I will not just sit and nod yes to such statements when they are diminishing the incredible impact of massive peaks before her and are totally ignoring valid arguments. I don't have beef with you :chick1:

• Thumbs Down 15

16 minutes ago, byzantium said:

It’s not even good trolling, it’s just sad :rip:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Why is it always the SAME users who are all Swift stans who can't accept counter-arguments to simple facts.

No one was derailing this thread. Someone said Taylor has the biggest peak ever, I said no, and then another Taylor stan who wasn't even in the discussion starts ranting :laugh: This isn't derailing the thread when all of it is about the IFPI. Anyways, you do you, none of you listen to facts so it's like arguing with a wall and I sensed that that's why most non-Taylor supporters are just avoiding these types of threads because there are no discussions with you guys.  

So basically you “discussions” here are:

Total units sale - not valid

The CEO of IFPI’s opinion - doesn’t matter

The tour and tour film gross - shouldn’t be considered

The one and only metric to decide artist peak - YE #1 single cause Taylor didn’t have so far 

:suburban:

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

guys, stop wasting your time with that nutcase. he should be admitted to a hospital. 

he was just telling me "gaga is bigger than taylor because if you combine 2 gaga albums into one then gaga sold more". 

stop wasting time with an obviously unwell individual.

Edited by JuanitoKasicki
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

BrandNewBrandon
31 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

So basically you “discussions” here are:

Total units sale - not valid

The CEO of IFPI’s opinion - doesn’t matter

The tour and tour film gross - shouldn’t be considered

The one and only metric to decide artist peak - YE #1 single cause Taylor didn’t have so far 

:suburban:

Total units sales are valid but they cannot be properly compared. Taylor in a 2009 state with today's popularity would not have reached those units when most legal sales from LATAM and Asia wouldn't have been accounted for same as Lady Gaga's units would have been bigger if all of her units from said markets were accounted for. 

Every major act is doing stadiums now and many of them breaking all-time records like Harry Styles or Beyoncé. But they are NOT bigger than Madonna and Michael Jackson either. And the only reason I'm not acknowledging the tour film is because it cannot be compared since neither Lady Gaga or Adele had any to be compared with. 

• Thumbs Down 10

BrandNewBrandon
32 minutes ago, JuanitoKasicki said:

guys, stop wasting your time with that nutcase. he should be admitted to a hospital. 

he was just telling me "gaga is bigger than taylor because if you combine 2 gaga albums into one then gaga sold more". 

stop wasting time with an obviously unwell individual.

Um okay, Kasix. This is your, what? Second troll account? :laugh:

• Thumbs Down 8

1 hour ago, byzantium said:

They just want to provoke and spark conversation and then act like people are unable to communicate "facts" in good faith painting someone's fans of not being able to be objective. I would advise not to pay attention at all. :celestial2:

I mean, Taylor's longevity really speaks for itself at this point, so what gives? :snowball:

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Total units sales are valid but they cannot be properly compared. Taylor in a 2009 state with today's popularity would not have reached those units when most legal sales from LATAM and Asia wouldn't have been accounted for same as Lady Gaga's units would have been bigger if all of her units from said markets were accounted for. 

Every major act is doing stadiums now and many of them breaking all-time records like Harry Styles or Beyoncé. But they are NOT bigger than Madonna and Michael Jackson either. And the only reason I'm not acknowledging the tour film is because it cannot be compared since neither Lady Gaga or Adele had any to be compared with. 

yes so the only thing comparable according to you is the single success and Taylor won’t get the YE #1 this year so she is not as big as Adele and Gaga’s peak? We already got it, thanks :heart: I’m totally convinced now

Okay how the hell BTS is flopping so hard right now. Yeah I know they are in hiatus but their crazy fandom completely ignore their disco? :redface:

1 hour ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Um okay, Kasix. This is your, what? Second troll account? :laugh:

this has to be the funniest thing ive seen all day.:dies: this unwell individual is literally so butthurt and unsettled by the fact that taylor has completely blown gaga's entire career out of the water, that all he did with his life is hop to every taylor threads, spotify threads or ifpi threads to desperately drag his irrelevant fave into the conversation; so much so that even other gaga fans are appalled by his un-wellness.

but in his own unwell mind, someone else is trolling, not him; even though thats all hes ever done with his time the last few days. check his comments. he brings up his fave in multiple topics although it is completely unrelated to his fave. idk how this level of trolling hasnt gotten him banned tbh. 

Edited by JuanitoKasicki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can we get a thread ban already? :biblio: 

————

yes Taylor, yes #1 IFPI again :gaylorcat2:

• Like 6

guys lets check out how crazy this sounds: 

1 hour ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

taylor just sold 45-50M album last year, thats literally about 2/3 of gaga's career total; but this wacko is actually trying to make the case taylor would not have sold more than gaga in 2009 with today's popolarity :ahh::ahh::ahh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

hgahhahahahhah taylor's tour film made more money than gaga's fkin stadium tour itself :ahh::ahh::ahh::ahh::ahh:  thats how blown the fk out gaga has been and yet youre still dense enough to think gaga has something to compare to taylor with?

HAhahahgahgajghsag im fkin DYIN!!!!! pack it up holy **** i cant :ahh::ahh:

Edited by JuanitoKasicki

3 hours ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

User BrandNewBrandon goes one day without being butthurt about Taylor Swift's success challenge (IMPOSSIBLE!) 

Edited by The Music Industry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I don't even understand the battle. Find me any artist who ever represented 2% of the total consumption of any year (or 4% of the physical market) and then we can talk about Taylor not having the most dominant year of at the very least this century. That way, even if you don't want to compare the 40-45M units Taylor accumulated in a single year to someone else's units in 2009 or 2011 for X, Y, Z reason, you can at least compare their dominance within their respective year.

And those 2% is on top of a monster smash-hit (Cruel Summer), the biggest tour of all time (even adjusting every tour for inflation) accompanied by the biggest concert movie of all time, the most mainstream media and social media presence by a long long shot over anyone else. Every company tried to have a piece of the cake, even to the point Heinz literally released a special edition called "Ketchup and seemingly ranch" because of a twitter fan-page.

Just be realistic at some point. Nit-picking achievements means nothing. Just look at the bigger picture. 

• Like 12

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.