Do you think Taylor Swift will try a new genre with Tortured Poets Department ?

Kayseri Mantisi

?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• yes, she will finally switch things up and this will be a new genre/style for her. it will show musical growth.
    • no, it will be an another Jack Antonoff'd/Aaron Dessner'd Taylor Swift album. it won't show musical growth.

No but it won't be Jack plus Aaron

It will be Lover 2.O. Jack, Joel little, Louis Bell and Frank dukes 

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kayseri Mantisi

• Monday Night Messiah

• Mandalore

• Badgalbriel

Taylor is pretty limited on what genres she can realistically pull off. She's no vocalist and doesn't have a captivating tone so that excludes any r&b or jazz influenced genres. Hip-hop makes no sense for her. Rock influence is a possibility but vocally she lacks grit so idk about that either. She already explored country, folk, and various sub-genres of pop. Judging by the album title, track list, and visuals this will probably be more of the same LDR cosplay she was doing on Midnights but with less self-awareness. However I'll wait to judge until I hear the album. Maybe she will prove me wrong. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Tm4074 said:

Taylor is pretty limited on what genres she can realistically pull off. She's no vocalist and doesn't have a captivating tone so that excludes any r&b or jazz influenced genres. Hip-hop makes no sense for her. Rock influence is a possibility but vocally she lacks grit so idk about that either. She already explored country, folk, and various sub-genres of pop. Judging by the album title, track list, and visuals this will probably be more of the same LDR cosplay she was doing on Midnights but with less self-awareness. However I'll wait to judge until I hear the album. Maybe she will prove me wrong. 

You're musically deaf if you think Midnights sounds anything like Lana has ever done. Literally none of that album sound like her music.

Edited by enchanted0
  • Like 3

I think it’s possible that she goes a new direction, but if we’re being honest, I’d rather she explore more of the direction that she took with a couple Evermore tracks and the features that kind of wound out of that era (Renegade, Birch, and even though it came later, The Alcott). That’s a sound that not only matches the aesthetics, title, and apparent themes of the song titles, but that she has room to grow within. She can do more of it and do new things and push it further.

I’m also incredibly biased, though, because what I described above is my favorite material from her. I’d be perfectly happy if she did take a new direction, which I think is much more likely than the album just sounding like Midnights 2. She doesn’t do a lot of albums that sound basically the same back to back - even Evermore and Folklore had meaningful, noticeable differences.

i hope so :coffee2:

I think it’ll sound like Midnights but with the lyricism of Folklore and Evermore, like Maroon. Taylor won’t be giving us an alt-rock album anytime soon.

no, it will be an another Jack Antonoff'd/Aaron Dessner'd Taylor Swift album. it won't show musical growth.

• Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator

I'd be shocked if she had both Post Malone and Florence + The Machine on the same album and didn't lean more into rock.

Well, considering the fact that Louis Bell is involved in the album, I expect some rock pop  songs (à la Miley’s Plastic Hearts, Halsey’s Manic, Lana’s NFR song F*ck it, I Love You) with hip hop influences maybe, so not exactly a huge change but something to differentiate it from Taylor’s past work 

Edited by TayDuaStan

My guess is that it will sound kinda the same, but she'll be more open and sing about new topics.

Midnights is actually a good album. The problem with this album is that it resembles a lot of the work she has done before: from 1989, Reputation, and Lovers to the sister albums. As a fan who has been following her from Tim McGraw, I am yearning for something new, something experimental. She's too big to fail now. 

I agree that some genres do not look like a good fit for her given what we have known about her for years. But I'd love to see her explore Indie Rock or Alternative Rock. Genres like Shoegaze would suit her, I suppose. I don't mind another Folk album though. There are still subgenres of Folk that she can explore. 

I’m setting my expectations low—an easily digestible mainstream mostly-pop album. The success of Loser and Midnights will cause her to veer in a similar direction. And a mainstream pop album will allow maximum exploitation of her current peak to make the new music as successful as possible. 

I love Jack and Aaron and I fully get the whole “why fix what isn’t broken” mentality, but she could let them do half an album and bring in some new collaborators to freshen things up. Then again, she did that with Loser and it yielded several of the worst songs of her career. Gods why can’t she call Dan Wilson and Jeff Bhasker again? :weeps:

• Like 1

It honestly sounds like a return to country, but a more mature/sadgirl/Folkmore'd country sound than Debut-Red.

With some of these titles it's impossible for them to not lean country.

I don't know why, but I imagine it sounding in the vein of Slide Away by Miley.

I think she will switch things up mainly because you can tell she was really not expecting her Grammy win so this album was probably going to be her shot at the 4th AOTY.

I feel like it’s gonna be a folk album.

queen needs to give us a hip hop or metal album tbh :clap3:

Do people really think reputation, folklore and midnights all have the same sound? :deadbanana2:

She definitely switches it up ever 3 years. 

I hope she sticks with her current sound for now though but goes with more folklore-esque lyrics. It’s a good look on her and I can’t get enough of it. 

She will make the same boring music as usual. :zzz:

• Thumbs Down 2

Hopefully... 

On 2/7/2024 at 9:49 PM, Roger21 said:

I'm here for more State of Grace sound. Arena rock. 

Oh i'm in... :clap3:

Somewhere in the middle, possibly a blend between Folklore/Evermore and Midnights. Hopefully incorporating a few new ideas and sounds as well.

• 2 months later...

well, the correct option definitely won. :clap3:

On 2/7/2024 at 5:00 PM, UnusualBoy said:

I just hope it doesn't sound like a Lover/Midnights variant. I like both albums but there's more than this dreamy pop with slight synths she has served on both albums. 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:02 PM, Monday Night Messiah said:

I feel like getting AOTY for MIDnights will give her the wrong impression that she should continue this bland ass sound. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

On 2/7/2024 at 5:20 PM, Timeless said:

Idk but both Aaron and Jack have made a few rock songs with her recently (like Would've Could've Should've, I Can See You, and Electric Touch) and I would love for her to go into that genre more. 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:24 PM, KatyPrismSpirit said:

judging by the features this will be more soft rock oriented. 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, ReachOut said:

no, it will be an another Jack Antonoff'd/Aaron Dessner'd Taylor Swift album. it won't show musical growth.

:rip:

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.