Do you think Taylor Swift will try a new genre with Tortured Poets Department ?

Kayseri Mantisi

?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• yes, she will finally switch things up and this will be a new genre/style for her. it will show musical growth.
    • no, it will be an another Jack Antonoff'd/Aaron Dessner'd Taylor Swift album. it won't show musical growth.

Thoughts? :celestial5:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kayseri Mantisi

• Monday Night Messiah

• Mandalore

• Badgalbriel

I think each one of the 4 sides has a different sound. One or two of them probably will sound kinda new for her, the other 1 or 2  something safest.

Edited by vale9001

Honestly, no.

It will sound like Lover and Midnights and the rest of Taylor's Version albums.

I am so done with synthpop. She has so much potential to do something truly innovative but will never do it.

I just hope it doesn’t sound like a Lover/Midnights variant. I like both albums but there’s more than this dreamy pop with slight synths she has served on both albums. 

• Like 1

I feel like getting AOTY for MIDnights will give her the wrong impression that she should continue this bland ass sound. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I imagine it will be EDM with very few lyrics

• Haha 1

She's proven flexibility before, so I won't be surprised if it's another genre change. However I wouldn't mind her staying synth-pop but with some evolving, she knows and plays her strengths very well. Midnights is very subdued, I hope this one is more explosive and has more attitude. Maybe an album full of I Know Places, Haunted, Illicit Affairs (Live Version), Death by a Thousand Cuts (Live from Paris), Change, Long Live. Those big songs with grit and attitude. Not sure how to incorporate synth-pop to these kind of songs though.

Just now, jonapova said:

I imagine it will be EDM with very few lyrics

Even that would be an evolution for her.

This Is What You Came For proves she's capable of making real bops.

I think she’s incapable at this point. It’ll be another dry vocal-led album with girly pop synths. All of her albums have been a revival of past sounds mixed with updated vocals and “new” singing points as if her life is really that depressing and grueling. Like, how is she so depressed/tortured  ?  :chick1: 

Edited by Brikenbur
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

3 minutes ago, Monday Night Messiah said:

I feel like getting AOTY for MIDnights will give her the wrong impression that she should continue this bland ass sound. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

This album is ready and announced before Midnights even won that award though. So that's a concern for the next album, and not this one. 

Just now, Brikenbur said:

I think she’s incapable at this point. It’ll be another dry vocal-led album with girly pop synths. All of her albums have been a revival of past sounds mixed with updated vocals and “new” singing points as if her life is really that depressing in grueling :chick1: 

Vocal-led? As in, every vocal-led album ever? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Badgalbriel said:

This album is ready and announced before Midnights even won that award though. So that's a concern for the next album, and not this one. 

It still is a concern for this one considering her crazy success in similar sounding albums (literally all of Taylor's Version albums, to the point where the songs no longer fit the parent album) in the last few years. That's validation for her that this is the way to go. That there's nothing to change.

I think there will be a shift in sound but not too much of a shift. 

• Like 1

there's an album thread to discuss this, do you need to make a thread of every thought that comes into your head? :dies:

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Mandalore said:

there's an album thread to discuss this, do you need to make a thread of every thought that comes into your head? :dies:

Album threads before an album is released shouldn't really be a thing.

Or at least a new one should be created once it's officially out.

They're so messy when the album comes out and then like 5,000 pages of discussion is about speculation :deadbanana2: 

Just now, Monday Night Messiah said:

Album threads before an album is released shouldn't really be a thing.

Or at least a new one should be created once it's officially out.

They're so messy when the album comes out and then like 5,000 pages of discussion is about speculation :deadbanana2: 

They're there for a reason, to discuss and speculate and keep up with teasers and have the sort of discussions this thread is trying to have. Also not to clog the site with every random's opinion about it. 

• Thumbs Down 1

No, I feel like it's going to be similar to folklore-evermore but slightly more pop

No she literally never takes any risks

9 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

4 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

They're there for a reason, to discuss and speculate and keep up with teasers and have the sort of discussions this thread is trying to have. Also not to clog the site with every random's opinion about it. 

You can't call people discussing in here "randoms", know your place. If you're bothered you have the right to not enter this thread. This is a website, not a toilet. It's not clogging. The poll not resonating with your own opinion shouldn't make other people having to discuss it on the album thread. Before the release of an album, general threads reach more people outside of the fanbase while album threads mostly consists of fans.

• Like 1

Idk but both Aaron and Jack have made a few rock songs with her recently (like Would've Could've Should've, I Can See You, and Electric Touch) and I would love for her to go into that genre more. 

judging by the features this will be more soft rock oriented. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, KatyPrismSpirit said:

judging by the features this will be more soft rock oriented. 

God I hope so :jonny5:

I think so?  Not sure what to go off of, but she is at least aware of the need to evolve over time.  She has done it her whole career.  

I have a feeling that this album and Midnights were written and produced at the same time. I’m thinking that she was working with Jack on the re-records and midnights came out of that, but also had another simultaneous vision which is this album. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.