Justin Timberlake - 'Everything I Thought It Was'

KatyPrismSpirit

Play could have been cut. A lot to enjoy on here but a lot of it does feel like an attempt at recreating old magic and coming up slightly short.

Still a very solid album. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Facelessboy

• Johnny Cash

• Starkboy

• KatyPrismSpirit

My favorite Drug has shot up my ranking list. It’s so fun. Yeah a shame this album is apparently flopping. a little re-arranging and this is his 3rd best album ever. Also Memphis actually would have been a better closer then opening. Play, Love & War, Condition, and alone could have been scrapped.  

2 hours ago, kliamzJ3 said:

He should’ve NEVER fired his old publicist Sonia …..she was a magician! It’s been down hill since then. SMH

Yep... it's been a mess ever since tbh. Is he still friends with Trace? They were super close and I feel like he was one of the people around him that told him the truth whether he wanted to hear it or not but idek if they're still friends. It seems like around the time he fired Sonia he cut a lot of people out and it's been a disaster since. I also don't like how his team tried to blame her for MOTWs dismal sales... but that's a whole other issue. The writing has been on the wall for a while but JT is an egomaniac.

Edited by imabadkid

Drown is a pretty good song, while No Angels is a bit whatever to me. 

Every song I've heard so far sounds like other artists. Selfish/Drown is very Bieber, and No Angels is very The Weeknd.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I love the album but he chose the wrong singles totally. Now we may never get a video for the right songs :biblio:

This album is better than it had any right to be

• Like 1

The first half is so bad that after one play, I do not feel the need to ever listen to this again. So sad, I used to like his music so much previously… 

Songs like Infinite Sex and Love & War have grown on me :clap3: The only two I don't like are Play and Memphis.

Apple Music (POP)

36 Selfish

45 No Angels

68 Drown

75 Technicolor

82 Memphis

89 Paradise

107 Fuckin' Up The Disco

146 Play

153 Liar 

174 Sanctified

184 My Favorite Drug

192 Infinite Sex

130 Rock Your Body

177 SexyBack

11 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

More broadly, like @JustRelax said, there's an image issue. He's perceived as the bad guy. This is pretty unique in that it's all a retroactive lashing, which probably is confusing tf out of him/his team, because the same GP were going up for him (while he was guilty of the same sin). So, all of a sudden being enemy #1 in 2024 must be a trip. 

Is it really än image issue though? His tour is selling about as well as you could expect for someone that hans't truly made a worthwhile album for more than 10 years. If it was truly an image issue he would flop in all regards I would say.

I think the biggest issue with Justin not selling well is that he simply does not make enough interesting music anymore. He doesn't have hits. 

Anyone calling this album bad needs to get their ears checked. This album is VERY solid, especially compared to what his peer, Usher, released not to long ago and even moreso compared to albums like Man of the Woods or The 20/20 Experience — Part 2. 

The internet still doing the most to drag this man for stuff that happened decades ago is very lazy at this point and all the "reviews" being written by stans reflects that. 

His tour is almost sold out so he'll be fine. This album is very much a return to form for him. I'm really impressed by what he's got on here. I'll by buying tickets. 

• Like 5

I was surprised how much I replayed this album already, I like the Timbaland/Danja sounds from back then.

Actually i love the album . The only thing is missing is a hit 

HIGH :

Drown

My favorite Drug 

Flame

Sanctified 

Fkin Up the Disco

GOOD :

No Angels

Play

Selfish

Liar

Paradise

Infinity Sex 

Technicolor 

I tried to give the album a listen but the first thing that it came to my mind was why he’s trying to sound urban and singing like a black rapper/singer? Like I had to double check ok some songs if it was a feature and someone else was signing or if it was him.

Also some songs are too long, wish him the best but this wasn’t it.

8 minutes ago, Dark Phoenix said:

I tried to give the album a listen but the first thing that it came to my mind was why he’s trying to sound urban and singing like a black rapper/singer? Like I had to double check ok some songs if it was a feature and someone else was signing or if it was him.

Also some songs are too long, wish him the best but this wasn’t it.

It’s justin Timberlake:rip: that’s literally his sound and has always been since even the *Nsync days. He is heavily inspired by MJ, Prince, and has always had rappers on his albums since Justified… and he is famous for 8 minutes long songs. :gaycat6: 
Complain about JT sounding urban is like complaining about taylor being a singer-songwriter. Thats what they are. Have you never heard a Timberlake song ever…

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

40 minutes ago, Cooper said:

Is it really än image issue though? His tour is selling about as well as you could expect for someone that hans't truly made a worthwhile album for more than 10 years. If it was truly an image issue he would flop in all regards I would say.

I think the biggest issue with Justin not selling well is that he simply does not make enough interesting music anymore. He doesn't have hits. 

Fair point and one that I think highlights the reality that his issue is multilayered. Because there deffo is a problem image-wise. But at the same time - like many of his MTV era peers - he's also being affected by ageism and the separate fact he has an ageing audience.

There's no need for me to go over Pop putting acts out to pasture past a certain age. We all know what it is and that it happens. Justin's biggest sin in that regard was giving them ish to work with (the "Dad-Pop" dance moves, CSTF was a huge hit but put him in the corny category). 

Furthermore, Justin's actual stans are most likely in his own age bracket, be that a little under or a little older. In any case, they aren't the streaming demo. They are way more likely to have $$$ to buy a ticket to a show to re-live "the hits" and nostalgia than run up his streaming numbers, "host streaming parties," or initiate mass buys in the way younger audiences do. The older audience has the coin, but they equally have more important priorities. 

Underpinning all of this is the fact that Justin hasn't evolved all that well musically either.

Before now, all those lengthy hiatuses felt smart because he would "leave" on a high and return to a lot of automatic buzz because of it. He also was able to engineer himself into a "critics darling" because, on paper, it was the "high end, qualitative acts" that didn't drop albums yearly. They took long breaks to become inspired and therefore drop "presentably" inspired work too. Justin had this down pat from his debut through to 20/20.

Yet, come the streaming era (which notably boomed in the time between 20/20 and Man of the Woods), not having much material available (relative to his peers) and an ageing audience was a dangerous combo. Releasing meh music, never truly evolving in the way the likes of his peers like Beyonce did, accepting the Super Bowl (without guaranteeing Janet did it with him), and the resurfacing of the Janet and Britney ish all collectively sealed the deal.  

So yes, it makes a lot of sense why he can pack out a tour but struggle to shift new music. It feels like in a very cemented way, people like him for what they like him for (see: past glories) but are unwilling to give time or grace to care about new music for the myriad of reasons explained. 

Anything can happen, but we for sure are in the "people need to like you" era of music now. And IMO between JT's age, relative inability to discuss past dramas (as it will only do more harm than good), and him not releasing anything compelling enough to turn the tide, I think he's definitely transitioned into legacy artist status alongside Alicia Keys, Pink, Christina Aguilera and co. All hella talented, all making big bank, but all not really at the center of the zeitgeist in the way they once were. Interestingly of that era, it's just Beyonce managing to hang (Usher gets an honorary mention with the way he's shifted things back in his favor. Maybe JT ought to study how he did it a bit). 

• Thanks 2

I think what he needs to do is step away from Timbaland and find some new collaborators and put a cute 10-12 track album together for release by next year. After EITIW I don’t think he can afford to wait too long for the next album or it will be too late for any type of comeback.

29 minutes ago, Burn said:

I think what he needs to do is step away from Timbaland and find some new collaborators and put a cute 10-12 track album together for release by next year. After EITIW I don’t think he can afford to wait too long for the next album or it will be too late for any type of comeback.

Absolutely not.

him and Timbo are the ultimate duo + his tour is literally selling out so he’s 100% fine. The album is pure FIRE

30 minutes ago, Burn said:

Highly doubt if he’d be releasing any album anytime soon if not ever.

38 minutes ago, Burn said:

He already mostly ditched Timbaland. He only had 3 songs on Man Of The Woods (one of them being the only hit) and 5 songs on this one. And unlike MOTW, the Timbaland songs are not even singles this time. Selfish and Drown are by Louis Bell and Cirkut and No Angels is by Calvin Harris, all new collaborators. The NSYNC single was by Shellback, also new.

The problem is not Timbaland or any production / writing team. He's worked with several different ones and the results have been below average for a decade now. It's him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, onewillowsilk said:

This album is VERY solid, especially compared to what his peer, Usher

There is no need to shade other artists to uplift Justin. Both have released in my opinion masterpieces 25+ years in! :heart2:

• Like 1

So is No Angels the 2nd single or no? Because Paradise is the one getting an airplay push

i wish this was the album he did super bowl for, like imagine Sanctified or No Angels at Super Bowl :jonny3:over... Filthy :deadbanana4:

• Like 1

I can’t stop replaying Flame and What Lovers Do today :katie2:

What were the first day streams?

1. Fuckin’ Up The Disco
  2. No Angels
  3. Technicolor
  4. Infinity Sex
  5. My Favorite Drug
  6. Flame
  7. Selfish
  8. Sanctified
  9. Alone
  10. What Lovers Do
  11. Paradise
  12. Conditions
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.