Shakira lacks certs in Japan, why?

VioletsandRoses

All her peers Beyoncé, Destinys Child, P!nk, Britney,JLo and Xtina have gold and platinum singles or albums. Some even with multi-platinum. Even pop girls who are weaker in Asia like Rihanna and Katy Perry managed to get a few certs. I was shocked to see Hips Don’t Lie, Waka Waka, and Laudnry Service not even certified gold. Is her globalness overrated? Japan is the second biggest market after all. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shakeyourbombom

• vuelve88

• Dante Silva

• VioletsandRoses

Namie Amuro is their og latina i fear...

• Like 4

Excuse me, but I believe this song from Latina legend Shakira is certified:

• Like 2

It’s harder for the non American girls

22 minutes ago, Eternium said:

Excuse me, but I believe this song from Latina legend Shakira is certified:

But why did I think of this song before I came in this thread? :toofunny3: Maybe because it was just very uncommon for something like this in J-Pop. 

The Japanese do not stan tax evaders, I fear. :katie:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

She doesn’t create songs that appeal to the Japanese market. She’s still the highest streamed pre-2000s female artist. 

It’s also relevant to note that the OP is a JLo stan, if anybody is wondering why the random interest in a thread attempting to drag Shakira. :rip:

Edited by vuelve88
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

well, it's not like she didn't chart or sell there. she has. maybe the certs need to be updated.

because her label hasnt updated her certs

what certified albums does jlo have in japan? 

I would be shocked if "Waka Waka" wasn't big in Japan, since they're big on football (or soccer if you're American/Canadian). That song was spammed non stop the entire summer of 2010 in every country aside from US/CAN.

What the cert company in Japan

Katy isn’t weak in Asia: they stan her in The Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand and India :rip:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

Katy isn’t weak in Asia: they stan her in The Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand and India :rip:

I love when people like to make up stuff

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, vuelve88 said:

She doesn’t create songs that appeal to the Japanese market. She’s still the highest streamed pre-2000s female artist. 

It’s also relevant to note that the OP is a JLo stan, if anybody is wondering why the random interest in a thread attempting to drag Shakira. :rip:

Where did they get apple music numbers :rip:

• Like 1

Because the Japanese didn't stream or buy her music enough to reach certification levels. Hope that helps!

• Thumbs Down 1

Japan has a Colombian legend at home

• Like 1

She didn't need Japan to have two songs in the top 10 of the most streamed songs in 2023 so it's all right :fan:

She's bigger than her peers in other markets

Was she big anywhere out with her home market and the U.S. after “Laundry Service”? In the U.K. that was her only era where she felt like a (then) upcoming MPG.

After that era she disappeared for what felt like forever (four years) and when she came back with her next English language album it made no logical sense as that album was sub-titled “Vol. 2”.

I was surprised that she later featured on “Beautiful Liar” with Beyoncé as she didn’t feel anywhere close to being in the same league.

I just researched online that she had Non-English speaking language albums that perhaps better maintained her profile in other markets but we never got those. The other time she had any real media profile was with the single “She Wolf”, now over a decade ago.

I do vaguely remember a song called “Don’t Bother” that got some rotation but not enough to spark a lot of interest in its parent album.

Then no significant music rotation, she only came back in the news years later with a story about her having a husband who cheated on her in his Mother’s house then something about taxes.

Edited by Dante Silva
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, tost1 said:

Where did they get apple music numbers :rip:

Right? I was about to say. That stan just made those numbers up. And P!nk isn't even a pre-2000s artist

OT: Every artist has a country they're weak in

• Like 2

Now this is a random thread to make :rip:

18 hours ago, alestevens said:

Because the Japanese didn't stream or buy her music enough to reach certification levels. Hope that helps!

Sony Music confirmed Laundry Service reached gold in Japan during her Tour of the Mongoose press conference.

She promoted the album in Japan. Ayumi Hamasaki and Naomi Amuro went to her concert in Tokyo.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dante Silva said:

Was she big anywhere out with her home market and the U.S. after “Laundry Service”? In the U.K. that was her only era where she felt like a (then) upcoming MPG.

After that era she disappeared for what felt like forever (four years) and when she came back with her next English language album it made no logical sense as that album was sub-titled “Vol. 2”.

I was surprised that she later featured on “Beautiful Liar” with Beyoncé as she didn’t feel anywhere close to being in the same league.

I just researched online that she had Non-English speaking language albums that perhaps better maintained her profile in other markets but we never got those. The other time she had any real media profile was with the single “She Wolf”, now over a decade ago.

I do vaguely remember a song called “Don’t Bother” that got some rotation but not enough to spark a lot of interest in its parent album.

Then no significant music rotation, she only came back in the news years later with a story about her having a husband who cheated on her in his Mother’s house then something about taxes.

Hips Don’t Lie - 3x Platinum (1.8M)

Waka Waka - 2x Platinum (1.2M)

some of her MPG peers didn’t even get a 3x Platinum.

Edited by shakeyourbombom
  • Thanks 1

japan loves mariah, avril, gaga

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.