Spotify: yes, and? 53.885m first week

B-Luke

58 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

It makes perfect sense. There’s 250M+ more Spotify users now vs when positions dropped. The number of users on Spotify doubled. For her to have maintained her popularity, this song should’ve streamed twice as well as her last lead. The only logical conclusion looking at these numbers is that her popularity has declined. She’s still doing great but this isn’t an improvement, period. The context matters

and yet the number one song on spotify before this was pulling 5m streams :rip: the stupidity is palpable

• Haha 8

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrpartyrocker

• Raspberries

• Badgalbriel

• B-Luke

Wow she did really good :clap3:

12 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

That’s not how statistics work babes. Stay in school

spacer.png

Care to explain what I’m missing or do you just want to be condescending & rude? I’m not the only person who’d draw that conclusion based on the #s, you have the chance to counter some misinformation

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

7 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Swifties are the most pathetic and insecure fan base ever I swear. How could an artist have a year like Taylor just did and y’all STILL aren’t satisfied :deadbanana2: 

I saw countless posts over the past year or so insisting that Ariana was over and forgotten, and not only did she put up an amazing debut on Spotify but she handily beat her other debuts. Just because the song didn’t match Taylor’s unprecedented streaming figures (something that took Taylor herself years and multiple releases to accomplish btw) in the first day of release doesn’t mean anything. Success isn’t always a 1:1. These are excellent numbers and there is a lot of time and room to grow. Stay mad! 

Nope

Taylor always had great debut , she didn't need multiple releases to accomplish this

She didn't have longevity with singles but that's different 

SIO was one of the biggest song on Spotify during its run

Look debuted with 7m in 2017

Folklore debut in 2020 is still not broken 

You all act like Taylor is some streaming artist lol

Taylor has been here since 2008 and that too at forefront

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

5 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Do you understand how ridiculous you sound btw.

3 minutes ago, jjmed59 said:

and yet the number one song on spotify before this was pulling 5m streams :rip: the stupidity is palpable

This was the excuse atrl used against Taylor 

What happened now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Just now, FolkLover1989 said:

Nope

Taylor always had great debut , she didn't need multiple releases to accomplish this

She didn't have longevity with singles but that's different 

SIO was one of the biggest song on Spotify during its run

Look debuted with 7m in 2017

Folklore debut in 2020 is still not broken 

You all act like Taylor is some streaming artist lol

Taylor has been here since 2008 and that too at forefront

Taylor was not putting up the numbers she is putting up today in 2019 was my point, she was able to grow and expand over the course of several releases

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

45 minutes ago, 4Real said:

Yall always complaining about "swifties" and yes they are a mess but that's the fun. If it wasn't for them and yall complaining about them this thread would've been 3 pages of people saying "congrats clap3" yawn. And let's not pretend that the same ppl complaining weren't in the Ariana thread claiming she was coming to end Taylor or whatever. The clown always comes back to bite.

OT: Great numbers ofc but I expected more for an Ariana comeback, isn't she the princess of pop?

Girl, what?

NO ONE wants this. You think Swifties are the only fanbase that can manage to cause 10+ pages of insufferable whining/projections? Any fanbase can do that. Difference is, a lot of us prefer NOT to do that. Nobody is getting paid for page views on this site other than the people running it, so please stop :rip:

The banter can be fun, but now it’s coming off as incredibly obsessive and weird. (Btw, I’m not lumping all Swifties together, some of y’all are really great :jonny:)

Edited by cuteboyzay
  • Like 2

Just now, LoveInStereo said:

Care to explain what I’m missing or do you just want to be condescending & rude? I’m not the only person who’d draw that conclusion based on the #s, you have the chance to counter some misinformation

Yes, it's easy to explain. Spotify users have grown a lot but it's catalog music benefitting from it. Music consumption overall has changed a lot and old songs and albums are getting far more attention they were getting a few years ago. 

You can see how the top songs and the top debuts from 2020 or 2021 had very similar numbers to what they currently have. If no female artist has debuted an album with more streams than Folklore (2020) it's not because they are declining fast, it's because the attention for debuts has not grown significantly. Catalogs, on the other hand, have grown massively.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Taylor was not putting up the numbers she is putting up today in 2019 was my point, she was able to grow and expand over the course of several releases

Lover was the 2nd biggest debut in 2019 despite 2 flop singles 

Again she was big in 2019 as well just not stable as now

Edited by FolkLover1989
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, Blue Monday said:

Several releases in a short period of time don't usually help you grow and expand, they make people tired and they reduce the hype for new music, since you have new music all the time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

I’ll keep it simple because I don’t want to derail this thread even further: You simply cannot conclude that the 250 millions user sample are a direct proportion from the previous. That’s actually illogical. It’s a ridiculous large sample base that can’t simply be reduced as Spotify users, especially when you factor changes from timestamp x to timestamp y and differences inside the sample. Example: how did the growth behaved geographically? Was it accompanied by a growth in regional genres? You would need to detail that worldwide user sample to then start your work to get to the real number that Ariana Grande would have the potential to reach and therefore conclude if her popularity has grown accordingly to its potentiality or declined… and i’m still simplifying most of the process. 

I’m always seeing people here committing crimes against statistics as if it’s not a complex research process with methodology that thankfully we have developed the technology to do it for us when working with big chunks of data

It’s not A and B were C in 2020 therefore they will be D and E in 2024 because of only factor F (usually growth in registered users) like most you all like to spill here to “adjust to inflation” streaming numbers lol

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FolkLover1989 said:

This was the excuse atrl used against Taylor 

What happened now?

no they didnt girl i know it makes you wet to see yourself as the victim all the time but i promise you that 2 or 3 trolls is not all of atrl

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Good numbers. Swifties proving yet again why everyone hates them 

:suburban:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• ATRL Moderator

Huge huge huge :jamming:

I'm curious to see how this will play in the long-term but biggest debut this far into her career is nothing short of impressive and I think she did a great job subverting some expectations re: her comeback sound :clap3:

8 minutes ago, Bonicap said:

Several releases in a short period of time don't usually help you grow and expand, they make people tired and they reduce the hype for new music, since you have new music all the time.

I’m not saying the multiple releases were the cause for her growth, I’m just saying it’s all a factor and trying to say it’s not is really obtuse  

1 hour ago, Shinning said:

She's a legend in the making with actual talent to back it up.

Because of a Spotify debut? 💀 She’s doesn’t have much artistry or impact to be considered a legend. She’s successful and popular that’s it. Which is fine not everyone ia out there to become a legend.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

10 minutes ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Lover was the 2nd biggest debut in 2019 despite 2 flop singles 

Again she was big in 2019 as well just not stable as now

Are you being willfully obtuse or are you just not getting it? Taylor was not as big on streaming in 2019 as she is now. That doesn’t mean her figures were bad. There was room to grow and she did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Comedor said:

Because of a Spotify debut? 💀 She’s doesn’t have much artistry or impact to be considered a legend. She’s successful and popular that’s it. Which is fine not everyone ia out there to become a legend.

Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey and Patti LaBelle (just to name a few) have all at one time or another expressed their love and adoration for Ariana. That means a hell of a lot more for someone’s legacy than some stupid Spotify numbers.

Edited by Blue Monday
  • Like 1

Mess of a thread, anyway how you guys predict this for US? House isn't a loved genre in US will it debut No.1? 

God, I knew trouble would walk in with an certain fanbase… so unnecessary :biblio:

Edited by Yog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey and Patti LaBelle (just to name a few) have all at one time or another expressed their love and adoration for Ariana. That means a hell of a lot more for someone’s legacy than some stupid Spotify numbers.

That doesn’t make her a legend wtf. :deadbanana:

I love Ariana but stop calling every girl a legend. There should be clear definition of what a legend is. Ariana is not on Mariah, Whitney, Beyonce etc level.

Shes a successful talented girl let’s celebrate that.

• Thumbs Down 2

great numbers :clap3:exceeded my expectations 

3 minutes ago, Comedor said:

I love Ariana but stop calling every girl a legend. There should be clear definition of what a legend is. Ariana is not on Mariah, Whitney, Beyonce etc level.

to be fair, they said a legend in the making. Also dont be shocked to see ariana fans calling her a legend in a thread celebrating her comeback numbers :rip: no need to be a damper 

Edited by jjmed59
  • Like 3

Just now, Comedor said:

Absolutely nobody said Ariana was on Mariah, Whitney or Beyoncé’s level so to speak but she does in fact have impact and artistry which you said she did not and is just categorically false. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1