Harvard can't handle demand for Taylor Swift course, desperate for more teachers

The Music Industry

1 hour ago, Jay07 said:

Oh please, they're not sitting there analysing her "poems" english literature students would be belly laughing at the spelling is fun songstress. It's probably a marketing case study in how to weaponize the insecurities of lonely, socially awkward teenagers to make them buy 20 different vinyl variants and limited time remixes.

Just take a look at these floppers. getting so mad and so nasty completely unprovoked, you think  their parents or their faves or something.

But I since no prestigious institutions will ever make a course for their insignificant flopped faves so I guess Taylor  really did kill their fave in terms of competitiveness. 

sucks to suck I suppose. 

Edited by Kasix

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• The Music Industry

• KatyPrismSpirit

• BLΔCKP!NK

50 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Is there a course on Bob Dylan? Joni Mitchell? Bruce ******* Springsteen?

There is literally courses for all 3 of them

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Yeah, it’s like trying to reason with a toddler. :rip: 

For any neutral parties,

The connections/evolutions/dynamic relationships between:

Red —> Daylight —> Maroon

Fifteen —> happiness

invisible string —> tolerate it

Dear John —> Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve

Cornelia Street —> You’re Losing Me

cardigan/august/betty

& You’re On Your Own Kid to her career

Are all great starting points of realizing how expansive the emotional epic of Taylor Swift’s catalogue truly is. 

Plus her songs can be starting points to analyse/ study literature

TLGAD/ Tolerate it = Rebecca 

Peace = The Bell Jar 

Ivy = Emily Dickinson's poetry

• Like 1

I’m available @harvard :gaylorcat2:

This or any class dedicated to any pop star is so stupid I’m sorry

What is there to research, study or investigate? Is it a business course or what

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Orsay said:

What is there to research, study or investigate? Is it a business course or what

You can find out by getting into Harvard :gaycat2:

Edited by Kasix

Imagine getting into a lifetime debt to “study” someone with these lyrics

You are somebody that I don't know
But you're taking shots at me like it's Patrón
And I'm just like "Damn, it's 7:00 a.m."
Say it in the street, that's a knock-out
But you say it in a Tweet, that's a cop-out
And I'm just like, "Hey, are you okay?"
And I ain't trying to mess with your self-expression
But I've learned the lesson that stressin'
And obsessin' 'bout somebody else is no fun
And snakes and stones never broke my bones so
So, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh
You need to calm down
You're being too loud
And I'm just like oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh (oh)
You need to just stop
Like, can you just not step on my gown?
You need to calm down

In China, 5-year-olds are learning algebra. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 8

They have made courses about Madonna, Beyoncé and even Bad Bunny. Please stop hating on Taylor, it is not the end of the world if she receives academic recognition. 

https://www.grammy.com/news/college-classes-on-pop-stars-music-history-celebrity-taylor-swift-kendrick-lamar-hip-hop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I do not agree with this in the slightest sense. Shakespeare or Hawking made significant contributions to literature, science, basically human understanding. Taylor does not. Having an entire university course focused solely on Taylor Swift is impractical. What are the practical implications learning about Swift's life? All this does is divert valuable academic resources (like teachers AND student time)away from more substantive and intellectual subjects. I think prioritizing what is basically contemporary sensationalism over critical thinking and essential skills at a university this size is quite problematic..

I also don't believe Taylor's career is remarkable enough to warrant its own university course. Beyond maybe a module or two in some intro to marketing class, I don't see what there is to gain from spending an entire semester analyzing Taylor's career. I do think context is important. In the U.S. where higher education is a for-profit commodity, it makes perfect sense to offer courses like this. Universities have been offering courses like this for years now. I've seen examples of professors lecturing about Bob Dylan, Beyonce's 'Lemonade' album, The Beatles, Elvis, etc. I personally don't see the value in them but I think they could be interesting nonetheless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

I'm available to teach the choreography dance cass @harvard

humanities is dying and universities are businesses in the end. 

this is cool though. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

This is laughable. Capitalism has ruined everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No offense but what are the students supposed to do with a Taylor Swift course? :deadbanana2: I don't see how it's gonna help them out in the real world or getting a job

• Thanks 1

the fumes over a class from a school you’re not smart or rich enough to attend. exactly how does this effect you in any way, shape or form :toofunny2:  you don’t have to take it and it’s there for the one’s that do. if typing paragraphs about how tate mcrae is a main pop girl, Selena playing scrabble or speculating on which pop girl is on ozempic is a better use of your time then have at it :toofunny2:

OT: Queen of creating job opportunities :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lille said:

"What career comes out of taking this class?"

It's literally an elective, everyone has to take classes unrelated to their major to graduate with a BS/BA. Do y'all really not have a basic understanding of how the Academic degree system works? :deadbanana4:

LITERALLY.

why is everyone acting as if this class is supposed to be their major :deadbanana2: It’s no different than a Spanish 1 or Home Ec :toofunny2:

44 minutes ago, Orsay said:

“Pop stars” are musical poets, courses that analyze their work enable the students to understand societal influences that shaped the work of the artists and fosters critical thinking, which is needed to interpret or evaluate literary works. 

40 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Imagine getting into a lifetime debt to “study” someone with these lyrics

You are somebody that I don't know
But you're taking shots at me like it's Patrón
And I'm just like "Damn, it's 7:00 a.m."
Say it in the street, that's a knock-out
But you say it in a Tweet, that's a cop-out
And I'm just like, "Hey, are you okay?"
And I ain't trying to mess with your self-expression
But I've learned the lesson that stressin'
And obsessin' 'bout somebody else is no fun
And snakes and stones never broke my bones so
So, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh
You need to calm down
You're being too loud
And I'm just like oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh (oh)
You need to just stop
Like, can you just not step on my gown?
You need to calm down

In China, 5-year-olds are learning algebra. 

perhaps you should check out, you know, one of the other 270 songs she has that are better than the shitty pop singles just made for mass consumption. Her deep cuts are where the meat of her genius lies. State of Grace, Safe & Sound, ivy, cowboy like me, hoax, peace, cardigan, The Great War… 

But sure, keep being stuck on 22, Bad Blood, Shake It Off, Me!, and YNTCD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

This would be great part time income for some of the ATRL swifties 

Courses about Taylor are not enough, we need full Taylor Swift degrees. I want to graduate with a doctorate on gaylor studies. I'll be the most popular barista at Starbucks.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

After the whole Pres. Gay thing, Harvard truly is the Ivy in decline. 

OT: It's a course, get over it. It's no more or less wasteful or offensive than a class in pottery. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lille said:

"What career comes out of taking this class?"

It's literally an elective, everyone has to take classes unrelated to their major to graduate with a BS/BA. Do y'all really not have a basic understanding of how the Academic degree system works? :deadbanana4:

Not everyone is from the regarded US system sweaty. Typical American on the internet. 

You're literally responding to my comment talking about university so yes I have more than an understanding. :rip:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I really wonder if people actually think these courses are about teaching "omg in 2010 she released Speak Now and despite Mine being a moderate hit at best, it still opened with 1M sales and the track 5 on the album was about John Mayer"? :rip:

Sorry but what exactly is the course about? And how will it actually teach any practical skills in the real world? 

1 hour ago, Cult Leader 𐕣𐕣 said:

LITERALLY.

why is everyone acting as if this class is supposed to be their major :deadbanana2: It’s no different than a Spanish 1 or Home Ec :toofunny2:

Spanish 1 and home ec actually teach you real skills wtf is a Taylor class going to teach? How to mass buy or stream her music 10x on Spotify? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Happylittlepunk said:

Spanish 1 and home ec actually teach you real skills wtf is a Taylor class going to teach? How to mass buy or stream her music 10x on Spotify? 

idk take the class, find out and tell me :heart2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.