K-Pop Thread: GFRIEND to Reunite for 10th Anniversary

Ryan

Just now, Rhyme said:

I mean outside of the concept and giving the girls a chance to showcase their talents, can you genuinely say Long Chat, Prologue, Melody, Licorice, Live My Life, and Mine are good songs?

Minus Long Chat (sorry @youresotoxic I just hate the song), yes I can. Licorice, Live My Life and Mine especially.

I really like the album and the girls themselves clearly worked hard on it and have openly stated that. Do I think MY WORLD + Drama would have been a better full album? Probably, but I think with Armageddon they steered themselves out of a tricky patch and showed what the group can do as a whole.

If we were having this conversation about Girls, I would be agreeing, since I think that is their worst album tracklist wise. But Armageddon? It's great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 65.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Save-Me-Oprah

• youresotoxic

• Pluto6

• Xalric

Top Posters In This Topic

Whiplash is going to consists songs of "various" genres so this discussion of cohesiveness needs to rest already 

You are not getting it like the girls made it clear with Armageddon that those are the sounds they will going to showcase moving forward. Either take it or leave it   :matty:

Edited by Odette Violet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zack said:

Minus Long Chat (sorry @youresotoxic I just hate the song), yes I can. Licorice, Live My Life and Mine especially.

I really like the album and the girls themselves clearly worked hard on it and have openly stated that. Do I think MY WORLD + Drama would have been a better full album? Probably, but I think with Armageddon they steered themselves out of a tricky patch and showed what the group can do as a whole.

If we were having this conversation about Girls, I would be agreeing, since I think that is their worst album tracklist wise. But Armageddon? It's great.

Honestly I don't really care if the girls chose the songs personally. I think it's just an example of an album that is "jack of all trades, master of none" I feel like people would've shook off the cohesive criticisms if the songs were GOOD ballads or GOOD girlcrush songs. 

1 minute ago, Rhyme said:

Honestly I don't really care if the girls chose the songs personally. I think it's just an example of an album that is "jack of all trades, master of none" I feel like people would've shook off the cohesive criticisms if the songs were GOOD ballads or GOOD girlcrush songs. 

:priceless: I swear y'all just saying anything. 

Yall advocating for this artists to have more input into their works but when they do, yall completely disregard it. 

6 minutes ago, Rhyme said:

I think it comes down to personal opinion. If you don't like the songs, then the comeback just wasn't for you. I also like when an artist is more involved in the work they put out. 

Personally I'm not seeing what is so BAD about Live My Life, Licorice, Mine etc. they are in my regular aespa rotation and they hold up well for me.

What I don't get is this idea of totally trashing the whole album as if it's garbage. The closest album to that kind of level for me is Girls, since aside from the title and B-side, it's a very weak album, but even then I wouldn't say it was garbage. Would you say Girls is a better release than Armageddon...? If yes, in that case we would just have to agree to disagree on this.

Edited by Zack

26 minutes ago, Zack said:

Armageddon is a great album. It's not aespa's problem if they have the talent and range to pull off multiple genres and styles.

It's ironic because in the past aespa was dragged for "pots and pans" yet now they're being dragged because the whole album didn't sound like Savage etc. and vague terms like "it's not cohesive" are being thrown around, because they didn't just put out a list of samey demos.

Their titles stick to their overall concept, but the full album was a great way to show what else they can do, in ways and concepts that wouldn't necessarily work as a title track/comeback. Whether that is pop/rock, ballads or bubblegum pop, it's a showcase of the group, which is a great way to handle a first full length project. They can then focus on whatever specific concepts or sounds fit them more in future projects.

When the whole group is charismatic and can sing like aespa, you don't want to necessarily restrict them into one box. 

girl, nobody said the problem was aespa. we're talking about SM. an album having 10 genres is generally a chore to listen to and in armageddon's case, the album is unlistenable. the tracklist is LAZY which is why they ended it with a ballad. they put an olivia inspired demo in there too. literally mediocre. imagine if beyonce released an album with songs from b'day, self titled, renaissance and cowboy carter all in one album :redface:

being versatile doesnt mean you have to put 15 songs that have nothing to do with one another in one album. that would be a playlist, not an album

3 minutes ago, Odette Violet said:

:priceless: I swear y'all just saying anything. 

Yall advocating for this artists to have more input into their works but when they do, yall completely disregard it. 

I've never advocated for this! I would rather have writing camps and A&R who know what they're doing rather than pretending it's good because the artists wrote or had input (see Stray Kids and BTS)

live my life is probably the worst aespa song ever like even life's too short is better :redface:

Edited by hallucinate
  • Thumbs Down 1

I won't dive in that debate... Just going to say the general consensus was calling BP albums compilations and now aespa doing the same being called versatile queens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Windy Day said:

girl, nobody said the problem was aespa. we're talking about SM. an album having 10 genres is generally a chore to listen to and in armageddon's case, the album is unlistenable. the tracklist is LAZY which is why they ended it with a ballad. they put an olivia inspired demo in there too. literally mediocre. imagine if beyonce released an album with songs from b'day, self titled, renaissance and cowboy carter all in one album :redface:

being versatile doesnt mean you have to put 15 songs that have nothing to do with one another in one album. that would be a playlist, not an album

As I said, the album had a multiverse concept and literally part of the concept is to showcase different universes. They said this from day 1.

I think that just went over your head/you didn't know or you don't appreciate that kind of concept, and that's fine it's not the concept for you. But the album is not unlistenable.

6 minutes ago, Rhyme said:

I've never advocated for this! I would rather have writing camps and A&R who know what they're doing rather than pretending it's good because the artists wrote or had input (see Stray Kids and BTS)

Hun SM is known for their writing camps and 90 percent of aespa's discography are not written by them.

This is the only time they said they genuinely felt they're creating something personal but **** it bc yall don't like it :bam:

Edited by Odette Violet

imagine listening to an album that would have a song from renaissance, then one from love for sale, followed by one from brat, then one from folklore, immediately followed by a sophie song… damn just pick a sound  :redface:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rhyme said:

can you genuinely say Long Chat, Prologue, Melody, Licorice, Live My Life, and Mine are good songs?

We love Licorice

these other songs... well no comment

vuhexrt.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zack said:

I think it comes down to personal opinion. If you don't like the songs, then the comeback just wasn't for you. I also like when an artist is more involved in the work they put out. 

Personally I'm not seeing what is so BAD about Live My Life, Licorice, Mine etc. they are in my regular aespa rotation and they hold up well for me.

What I don't get is this idea of totally trashing the whole album as if it's garbage. The closest album to that kind of level for me is Girls, since aside from the title and B-side, it's a very weak album, but even then I wouldn't say it was garbage. Would you say Girls is a better release than Armageddon...? If yes, in that case we would just have to agree to disagree on this.

I guess I'm being dramatic because for me I felt like Armageddon was another in a growing trend of aespa offering amazing title tracks and doing whatever on the rest of the album. It began with Girls and it hasn't stopped. I'm always ready to love what aespa do and I will listen to it as much as I can before deciding it's not for me. And no, Armageddon is mediocre, but Girls (aside from Illusion) is horrible

2 minutes ago, Zack said:

As I said, the album had a multiverse concept and literally part of the concept is to showcase different universes. They said this from day 1.

I think that just went over your head/you didn't know or you don't appreciate that kind of concept, and that's fine it's not the concept for you. But the album is not unlistenable.

they can do a conceptual album without having multiple genre that doesn't fit with one another inside one project. they can express that concept through visuals or lyrics, but armageddon is TIRING to listen to. do you even listen to albums in full, zack? you're trying so hard to find excuses for the A&R in charge of armageddon who simply chose 4 songs from a writing camp and then filled the rest of the spots with random demos and closed the album with a ******* ballad :ahh:

people wouldnt be complaining about cohesion of aespa's albums alone if the bsides were good as well, but that is not served either, the bsides serve let's throw a pile of mud on the wall hoping for something to stick and some red velvet and snsd rejects and nothing more than that, they have released only 2 good bodies of work and that are savage mini and my world, other than that it has been **** after **** sans the singles 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Odette Violet said:

Hun SM is known for their writing camps and 90 percent of aespa's discography are not written by them.

This is the only time they said they genuinely felt they're creating something personal but **** it bc yall don't like it :bam:

Well the girls should stick to changing one lyric on the demos the A&R picks and call it a day if they're gonna choose songs like Armageddon album tracks again

sometimes i wonder if some of yall listen to other music besides kpop…

Edited by Windy Day
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hallucinate said:

live my life is probably the worst aespa song ever like even life's too short is better :redface:

Not too much on this queen, the way it's one of my favorite aespa songs :weeps:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hallucinate said:

well no...

3 minutes ago, Rhyme said:

I guess I'm being dramatic because for me I felt like Armageddon was another in a growing trend of aespa offering amazing title tracks and doing whatever on the rest of the album. It began with Girls and it hasn't stopped. I'm always ready to love what aespa do and I will listen to it as much as I can before deciding it's not for me. And no, Armageddon is mediocre, but Girls (aside from Illusion) is horrible

This is fair and constructive! (Though I do disagree with Drama being in the same poor category as Girls. I did like that mini for Don't Blink and Trick or Trick especially). 

For me, aespa and SM were clear about what they were trying to do with Armageddon from day 1, so I'm viewing it through that lens. They did what they said they would and I like the ambition and concept and the majority of the music.

For some other posters (not you), I think they just have strict vision of what they want aespa to be and flip out when the envelope is pushed.

It's the same syndrome Red Velvet got whenever they didn't deliver the R&B Velvet side comeback a lot of people wanted.

• Like 1

nobody wants aespa to be confined to one sound. we want SM to stop releasing compilations of demos from various writing camps and calling them aespa albums. people aren't praising savage because they like the sound, we just want that cohesion and quality back. you truly have to be blinded to think armageddon is a pleasant listening experience :rip:

that or you listen to nothing else but kpop and have 0 knowledge of music and the art of making albums…

Edited by Windy Day
  • Thanks 2

i agreee aespas albums are lackluster

like you listen to supernova and armageddon, then you listen to the album and its nothing like that, like those other songs are just so forgettable

red velvets albums were always cohesive and you knew what you were gonna get

• Like 10

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.