Super Hero movies. What went wrong?

vale9001

The Marvels is just another massive box office bomb this year for the genre. What is happening? Why they're not cool anymore?. All the combinations of genders, races and colour of wigs to appeal the Graces Randolphs are already used and not an IT factor for making them cool anymore for young people and outside the core target of comics nerds?.

Are Robert Downey Racist Jr. only relevant movies finally over?

Discuss. 

Edited by vale9001

People get tired after watching 30 superhero movies a year, in 99.9% of which the good guys always win and the villain loses

• Thanks 1

People don’t want to waste their time on broader narratives/“cinematic universes” anymore that go nowhere. They want to see Batman, Spiderman, and heroes/villains they know and recognize.

Edited by Domination
  • Thanks 1

The milking of IPs kills all the enjoyment. I used to be excited for the new Star Wars shows that were coming up when The Mandalorian was enjoyable for everyone, but now I couldn't care less and I'll stick to watch the original trilogy when I feel like doing so.

I'm excited for the new Avatar The Last Airbender stuff that's coming up (not the Netflix live action though), but I'm also afraid the franchise will get overexposed 

• Like 1

After Endgame everything changed 

I think Spiderman will remain successful Batman too but that’s it. 

• Like 1

Many things but honestly these new heroes dont even have powers you can recongzine?

Whats Mrs Marvel power?

We know what spider man or wonder woman do but not this generic latest crop

• Like 2

I barely saw any promo for the new Marvel movie. And at this point they’re just using all the minor superheroes that the GP doesn’t care about

It already peaked. 

Wonder Woman 1 remains the best superhero film in recent times imo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Its a case of quantity over quality where too many superhero movies have a story and/or characters not good & interesting enough for people to watch.

• Like 2

Convoluted storylines.

Now everyone's ass can come back whenever they want bc of messy multiverses.

Too many of these films have storylines that force you to watch 3 other films just to understand what is happening.

• Thanks 1

Racism and sexism but once they bring the main Marvel heroes, all straight will watch them again :) 

• Thumbs Down 2

Capitalism’s superpower is taking something people like and OVERDOING IT. 

Same thing’s going to happen with live concert movies, you’ll see. 

Edited by getBusy
  • Thanks 1

It’s the equivalent of releasing 4 Scream films in a year.
It’s fun to watch but ain’t nobody has the energy for that.

It’s just the same plot with different characters. They need to come with something else.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's no originality anymore, every movie has a similar structure without any genuine twists or fake-outs. It makes for a lack or agency and feels like regurgitated cash grabs with corny one-liners.

Wonder Woman 1, Black Panther 1 & 2, Spider-verse ALL felt amazing because they had stories with personal stakes, that were lighthearted when appropriate but serious and show-stopping when the action came around. 

I feel like Deadpool will be an anomolly because the character is supposed to be cheeky and wall-breaking. 

• Like 1

When it comes to superheroes, your average member of the GP knows Spiderman, Batman, Superman, X-Men and maybe Fantastic Four. Marvel did a pretty good job of introducing people to the original Avengers but they were daft to think they could keep adding in other characters and people would still care. The films also feel a bit repetitive at this point.

I don't really buy the whole "go woke, go broke" angle. I reckon if they'd had more female led films earlier on in the franchise they would've done much better.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Flomik said:

People get tired after watching 30 superhero movies a year, in 99.9% of which the good guys always win and the villain loses

Ironically Thanos winning was kind of the beginning of an end for them 

I think they need to step back a bit and keep it 1 to 2 Marvel films and 1 DC film every year. This oversaturation ( combined with terrible writing) is what making the genre die faster.

Trash movies, terrible CGI, underpaid actors, corny writing etc etc

Edited by airplane

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.