is it finally time to admit Taylor has surpassed Madonna?

DTF

Atrl decides  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Yes

• No
    • Yes
    • Abstain

Madonna was loud sexual sometimes vulgar in your face and a shining example of a rebel. 

Taylor is more polite and conservative in her approach. I don't hold that against her but it's easier to rally behind Madonna's bigger than life queen of pop figure than Swifts more demure persona 

I enjoy both but Madonna has songs like Papa Dont Preach, Frozen, Vogue, Isla Bonita, ROL,  HU in her repertoire 

Cardigan, Willow, ATW, YBWM no matter their stats pale in comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• GlamSlam

• JaXXXon

• WildHeart

46 minutes ago, JaXXXon said:

Austria

#1 artist 

Sweden

#1 artist 

Belgium

#1 artist 

Denmark

#1 artist 

Germany

#1 artist 

Brazil

#1 artist 

Your trolling is not entertaining :zzz:

Edited by Artistofthedecade
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

#1 artist 

#1 artist 

#1 artist 

#1 artist 

#1 artist 

#1 artist 

Your trolling is not entertaining :zzz:

But what does that have to do with anything? She's the most consumed artist in those countries but the consumers dgaf about her newest release? 

Besides, it keeps flying over your head that it's not about her not being popular in those countries. It's about her not breaking records and being bigger than Madonna there. Madonna was breaking records everywhere, so therefor she cannot be bigger than Madonna. What isn't clicking? :toofunny3:

• Like 3

Madge is too legendary. She pushed the envelope and created controversy all while setting sales and tour records. She is the blueprint for the female popstar.

Swift. Her entire brand is calculated and feels like it was created by extensive focus group testing. I like Taylor but she's like the Target of pop music- inoffensive yet appealing

Edited by CoolNebraskaGuy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

I don't think you can erase a legacy, no matter how much you outsell someone. Madonna laid down the blueprint for most of the pop girls today, and that's something that can't be erased. I don't think there is such thing as surpassing someone with that big of a legacy.

That being said, Taylor is in her own lane and is doing incredible. There's no need to compare her to anyone.

• Thanks 3

On 10/29/2023 at 4:10 AM, LittleStarmen said:

Madonna won again... we had the same threads 10 years ago with gaga and its not Madonna who is in vegas now....

This.

On 10/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, istan4badgalriri said:

Madonna sold all those records while being a controversial, polarizing figure and a risk-taker. She never cared to soften or tone down her image and her music in order to cater to the masses and sell albums. Yet, still became the best-selling female artist of all time. That’s why she’ll always be thee queen of pop

Taylor will never surpass Madonna in the metrics that make her the queen of pop. It’s time to give this up 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Who cares when Eras Tour will outgross Madonna's and any other female artist's career total... 

Spotify: 1989TV becomes the most streamed female album in single day excluding the US

Cultural impact of Taylor Swift (570 references) 

Impact of the Eras Tour (280 references) 

A Timeline of Taylor Swift’s Political Evolution

Everything You Need to Know About The Equality Act & Taylor Swift’s Petition to Pass It

I understand that you may be from the same generation as your fave but that's not an excuse to be out of touch with reality or spread misinformation like nothing. Google is free :heart:

No that's not enough. Sorry. I Move on. Next. 

• Thumbs Down 1

The Moose of Pop will NEVER surpass the Queen Madonna. 👸 

The delusional moose stans can stay pressed 🤣🤣. Obviously they must be bored due to the lame, boring, bland stuff that tall moose in a dress ever only puts out. 

Cats heehee, boyfriends heehee.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

Madonna showing up at an award show without doing a performance, speech, nothing. Just showing up to accept an award. This was after Evita and Ray of Light wasn’t even released. This was “just” 16 years into her career. She was only getting bigger from here for the next 4 years.

An almost 2 minute standing ovation and people crying in the audience just because she’s up there.

No woman will ever reach something like this. And saying Taylor is bigger after 18 years doesn’t make it true. Madonna not only had released less studio albums at that point, but she had multiple eras outside of studio albums that you’re forgetting (TIC, Something to Remember,  Evita, Who’s That Girl, Im Breathless) and all soundtrack singles she had released were hits at that point (Crazy For You, Into the Groove, I’ll Remember, etc). She also had the biggest and the top grossing documentary ever to debut at the cinemas with Truth Or Dare. A record she had until 2002 and it’s been considered as the beginning of reality tv as we know it.

She had done tours like Blond Ambition, The Girlie Show, she had influenced fashion, she had influenced feminism, she had been a spokesperson for aids victims, she had done the sex book, she had promoted safe sex, she had the balls and managed to start conversations that someone as safe as Taylor will never dream of. Most of these things were taboos back then. The bravest thing Taylor did was speaking out against a republican candidate…and she did that when it was convenient and safe to her and a day after ending her Reputation tour so she wouldn’t alienate her conservative fanbase. 

Reducing Madonna to “records sold”

is useless specially when comparing her to someone that’s the opposite of Madonna: safe and predictable. (And there’s nothing wrong about being like this btw)

So far Madonna is still ahead and will remain for the next years and even if Taylor surpasses her records sold, Madonna will still not be surpassed by her. Not as long as Taylor literally walks the road Madonna made easy for her to walk on.

And one day Taylor will be a 65 year old popstar and no one will be calling her old…because people like Madonna have already opened up the path for her making it easier for her to have a sizeable career. 

I’ll take this opportunity to remind you that when Madonna was Taylors age she was getting these headlines:

spacer.png

I’ll leave it at this :)

The whole thing you posted was basically what I said

Madonna had more impact and influence and was more of a cultural force

And Taylor is bigger in commercial success

So just say you agree I guess?

Madonna showing up at an award show without doing a performance, speech, nothing. Just showing up to accept an award. This was after Evita and Ray of Light wasn’t even released. This was “just” 16 years into her career. She was only getting bigger from here for the next 4 years.

Taylor is always the main event at any award show she attends even when she doesnt win anything, like the Grammys earlier this year. So not sure what you're trying to do with this tbh.

No woman will ever reach something like this. And saying Taylor is bigger after 18 years doesn’t make it true. Madonna not only had released less studio albums at that point, but she had multiple eras outside of studio albums that you’re forgetting (TIC, Something to Remember,  Evita, Who’s That Girl, Im Breathless) and all soundtrack singles she had released were hits at that point (Crazy For You, Into the Groove, I’ll Remember, etc). She also had the biggest and the top grossing documentary ever to debut at the cinemas with Truth Or Dare. A record she had until 2002 and it’s been considered as the beginning of reality tv as we know it.

Taylor has some great accomplishments of her own that no female will likely ever reach. She managed to reach a level of mass hysteria only comparable to the Beatle-mania, where 50 stadium dates in a single country are not enough to meet demand and you have 20 thousand fans filling up the parking lots to listen from the outside as they couldn't get tickets for themselves

She also disrupted the industry in several ways, most prominently with the re-recordings and starting the conversation about artists' rights to own their own music. This resulted in acts like Olivia Rodrigo being able to negotiate better deals for themselves thanks to Taylor setting the precedent. And many other acts starting to release their own versions of their old music.

They also, alongside the tour, managed to carve a new paradigm for herself that other acts will surely try to follow later, where both her present and her past are able to coexist. This music critic put it best here:

"This is the part about Taylor Swift’s career that is unprecedented. She has, rather brilliantly, convinced the public that her past and present coexist right now. She’s dismantled the former “new work vs. old work” binary for artists and replaced it with the “Eras” paradigm, where her songs are parceled into different concurrent channels that are equally accessible. It’s the same logic that streaming platforms have taught us, where all of music history exists in the same bucket. And Taylor Swift has figured out how to reprogram the public’s internal algorithm better than any of her competitors, so that her historical fame doesn’t count against her contemporary fame. She gets to be a “legacy act” and a “relevant pop act” simultaneously. Which is why I don’t expect her to fade anytime soon."

Source: https://uproxx.com/indie/ask-a-music-critic-when-will-taylor-swift-popularity-fade/

She also caused major disruption in Hollywood amidst an historic strike of both actors and writers, starting a whole new business model for both musicians and cinema chains of "special event" releases that bypass traditional studios altogether and go straight to theatres. It also proved to be a major success becoming the highest grossing concert movie of all time.

That being said, Madonna's significant contributions to culture and society will never be erased or forgotten, and i'm quite certain no one here is implying they will. Both Madonna and Taylor left their own mark in history in completely different timelines, and will continue to be referenced for decades to come!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 10/29/2023 at 12:50 AM, wsurferwayne said:

Let's just say that madonna ruled the 20th century and taylor ruled the 21st century!!!! Both had their fair share of classics (Material girl, into the groove, vogue, la isla bonita, hung up, like a virgin, like a prayer for madge) and (love story, blank space, shake it off, cruel summer, you belong with me, anti-hero, style for tay)

I always find these kind of statements funny. We are in 2023, we have about 80 years left in the century. Dont u think we will have a lot of singers that eill break records and so on? The industry lives on by creating stars.

One thing I am sure: in 2123 people will still be talking about Erotica or Like a Prayer. Now, people wont be really talking about Doris Day, even though she was very popular. We already dont talk about her.

• Like 1

Swifties act like the only thing that matters is sales numbers. 

Would anyone claim Avatar is the most iconic film of all time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

As my mum once said “Everybody likes Taylor Swift, but Madonna she is a once in a lifetime star”

I do think in terms of a legacy she hasn’t, but commercially, probably.

4 hours ago, Trent W said:

The whole thing you posted was basically what I said

Madonna had more impact and influence and was more of a cultural force

And Taylor is bigger in commercial success

So just say you agree I guess?

Madonna has the biggest commercial success, pressing play and the repeat icon isn’t a commercial transaction.

• Like 1

I guess if you count... "units" *chuckle*

When Madonna sold her albums, you had to go out of your house, go to the record store and pay your hard earned money for a copy, it wasn't a bunch of lonely teenagers with a free spotify account and an unhealthy parasocial relationship with a popstar streaming playlists of the same song for a chart position.

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Jay07 said:

I guess if you count... "units" *chuckle*

When Madonna sold her albums, you had to go out of your house, go to the record store and pay your hard earned money for a copy, it wasn't a bunch of lonely teenagers with a free spotify account and an unhealthy parasocial relationship with a popstar streaming playlists of the same song for a chart position.

Exactly my point. And being said again, 

Older acts were never allowed to chart all songs at once and the same time. Only proper one or two singles on the hot 100 in old days.

Now they make younger ones inflate everything. Even dogs might be able to chart nowadays.

Edited by thequeenofpopmadonna
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, punisher said:

As my mum once said “Everybody likes Taylor Swift, but Madonna she is a once in a lifetime star”

The queens influence is enormous. She basically opened and paved the way for younger females and even some males and changed the game. She completely set the bar for modern pop concerts and media corverage and bore reality tv series and enhanced lgbtq rights and female equality. 

She was the first pop star who did statium tours around the world and consistently expanded the tour market for female singers over 38 years all over the world. 

She was the first female who was fashion savvy, and so many the fashion designers expressed her influnce and did many high fashion brands campaigns together. 

She is more than just a pop star.

Her cultural influnce!!!

She was the first male or female pop star's own record company ceo who was successful and profitable during the 90s. 

Once a critic pointed out, pop industry could be defined by before and after madonna apeared.

No one will be like her because shell always be the first female who had done it and been there before.

Edited by thequeenofpopmadonna
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, punisher said:

Madonna is the true definition of an icon.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 1:59 AM, LittleStarmen said:

Theres no selling. its ll streaming and downloads... its not a comparable metric

Thank you. Eventhough streaming seems to be the way they found to replace pure sales... comparing both is stupid as ****.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Thank you. Eventhough streaming seems to be the way they found to replace pure sales... comparing both is stupid as ****.

Exactly. Totally different eras, calculating methods, amount of money, contrary rules applied, and incomplete mingling.

• Like 1