is it finally time to admit Taylor has surpassed Madonna?

DTF

Atrl decides  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Yes

• No
    • Yes
    • Abstain

No and she never will. Madonna is the legend, the original and the Queen of Pop. Sales are not everything. Madonna also has the better music imo. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• GlamSlam

• JaXXXon

• WildHeart

She will never surpass mj or Madonna no matter how many streams she gets

• Like 1

I saw this thread had 8+ pages and knew the poll didn't favour Taylor right away. And I was right :rip:

OT: No. Taylor will never surpass Madonna. Not in sales, not in influence, not in popularity. She's still one of the most successful acts of all time and doesn't have to surpass her.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, thequeenofpopmadonna said:

It's funny that for a currently inflating era all songs from an album by  recent acts could chart all at once even if they werent proper singles nowadays. But in old days only one or two proper singles could be allowed to chart.

Different rules applied.

And now their new stans come out and say hey our younger and favorite inflation beat veteran acts.

How bullsh.t

Why don't you apply the same rule like old days and come back to talk about then?

That's one of the examples how much and inflated recent acts have benefited.

they're ok with every album track charting, but then diminish "pure sales" as outdated.   If streaming was around in 1984, Madonna would have DOUBLE the Top 10's Drake has, and more total tracks charting then Glee!! FACTS!!1!! DEMAND!! POWER!!1!1!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

you can't surpass the blueprint. needless to say, madonna is still the best selling female artist according to the guiness book of records. her impact will remain untouched because how many barriers can you break, how many envelops can you push...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Taylor hasn't outsold Madonna. She may eventually catch up, but adjusted for population (i.e. number of people on Earth who could theoretically buy your music, and also considering that music wasn't as accessible as it is now with streaming) Madonna is way ahead of Taylor. 

If we're talking cultural impact, Madonna is literally the blueprint. Taylor is winning the game, Madonna invented the game. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I believe so when you talk about commercial success. But otherwise it's the same when you compare other big figures in music like The Rolling Stones to current artists. Their 2023 album Hackney Diamonds sold like 75k first week? They aren't selling like they once did but they are still THE Rolling Stones

1 hour ago, spree said:

.   If streaming was around in 1984, Madonna would have DOUBLE the Top 10's Drake has, and more total tracks charting then Glee!! FACTS!!1!! DEMAND!! POWER!!1!1!

And who remembers her today? Those streaming numbers are not impressive. 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Starfish said:

How about a soldout WW tour 40 years into her career? Why doesn’t Taylor have that? 

1 hour ago, John Slayne said:

Taylor is winning the game, Madonna invented the game. 

tumblr_m7pca6ye7f1qhtbpdnk.gif

nicely said :clap3: 

58 minutes ago, Starfish said:

who's form her peers is doing better, quickly. needless to mention her sold out stadium tour celebrating 40+ yrs in music.

• Like 1

Who knows her outside the us except her girly swifties and pop fans? Talking about local artists, she's right there with zero impact on people and the society. She's never done anything concrete to change the politics and society. Even nothing for human rights and marginalized people because she's afraid of losing her streaming and  swifties because sensitive politics don't sell.

Safe move huh?

Someone ahead of her paved all the way for females and some males before her and she just benifited from it but wont do anything else.

but telling people that shes bigger??

non sense of the century.

And all the multiple releases and discount gimmicks to inflate and manipulate charts and her  numbers are not impressive at all.

Rather desperate trial to inflate and manipulate her quick stats for disposable songs that no one outside the us remembers.

Cheap sales stunts won't take you there either.

Edited by thequeenofpopmadonna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

I’m curious; who do y’all think is the more talented musician between Madonna and Taylor? And why?

Edited by LikeATattoo

I have to say: i find it hilarious that it took Taylor being the #1 pop girl on our time to see other fanbases suddenly start respecting Madonna :toofunny3:

Madonna has been treated like trash by Gaga/Rihanna/Britney stans for YEARS (Liddos alone used to say that Gaga surpassed Madonna already when she was barely two years into her career) but now that Taylor, a pop star that many people on ATRL hate, is being directly compared to Madonna, NOW suddenly Madonna is this untouchable legend that can't possibly be surpassed. You guys are SO obvious it's not even funny :toofunny3:

And for the record: i don't think Taylor has surpassed Madonna yet, she still has a long way to go before reaching that point. But out of all of ATRL's faves that aren't Madonna, she's definitively the one who could do it eventually. She's bigger than ever 17 years into her career and isn't slowing down anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, a You Need to Calm Down versus Justify My Love battle...

spacer.png

Edited by G.U.Y.

one of my first memories is seeing the hard candy cds on shelves lmaoo my parents still had to hold me 

5 hours ago, spree said:

How about a soldout WW tour 40 years into her career? Why doesn’t Taylor have that? 

Who cares when Eras Tour will outgross Madonna's and any other female artist's career total... 

4 hours ago, thequeenofpopmadonna said:

Talking about local artists,

Spotify: 1989TV becomes the most streamed female album in single day excluding the US

zero impact on people and the society.

Cultural impact of Taylor Swift (570 references) 

Impact of the Eras Tour (280 references) 

She's never done anything concrete to change the politics

A Timeline of Taylor Swift’s Political Evolution

5 hours ago, thequeenofpopmadonna said:

Even nothing for human rights and marginalized people

Everything You Need to Know About The Equality Act & Taylor Swift’s Petition to Pass It

I understand that you may be from the same generation as your fave but that's not an excuse to be out of touch with reality or spread misinformation like nothing. Google is free :heart:

• Thumbs Down 3

14 hours ago, Kristie Kuwa said:

Madonna:

Like A Virgin

Like A Prayer

Papa Dont Preach

True Blue

La Isla Bonita

Material Girl

Express Yourself

Ray of Light

Frozen

Music

Vogue

Die Another Day

Human Nature

Hunger Up

Dont Tell Me

Power of Goodbye

Compare this to Taylor's highlights and my God, the landslide in terms of quality in favor of Madonna is crazy. You seriously want to compete with Style, Shake it off or Blank Space here? Or even worse, Bad Blood or Anti Hero? You guys are crazy to think Taylor holds even a candle against Madonna. Put some respect on Madonnas name

I’m not here to argue about the topic of the thread but I will say you chose literally none of Taylor’s discography highlights (except maybe Blank Space). Her singles are notorious for being some of the worst songs in her catalogue, meanwhile her strongest album tracks -do- stand up against Madonna’s highlights. That’s all I have to say though, is that Taylor’s music -does- hold a candle to Madonna’s. I’m not really here to argue whether Taylor is bigger or better than Madonna because that doesn’t matter to me 

1 hour ago, PoisonedIvy said:

I’m not here to argue about the topic of the thread but I will say you chose literally none of Taylor’s discography highlights (except maybe Blank Space). Her singles are notorious for being some of the worst songs in her catalogue, meanwhile her strongest album tracks -do- stand up against Madonna’s highlights. That’s all I have to say though, is that Taylor’s music -does- hold a candle to Madonna’s. I’m not really here to argue whether Taylor is bigger or better than Madonna because that doesn’t matter to me 

As someone who's a massive stan of both Taylor and Madonna, i agree that Taylor's discography absolutely hold up to Madonna's discography. Their music is pretty different but amazing nontheless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enrique523 said:

I have to say: i find it hilarious that it took Taylor being the #1 pop girl on our time to see other fanbases suddenly start respecting Madonna :toofunny3:

Madonna has been treated like trash by Gaga/Rihanna/Britney stans for YEARS (Liddos alone used to say that Gaga surpassed Madonna already when she was barely two years into her career) but now that Taylor, a pop star that many people on ATRL hate, is being directly compared to Madonna, NOW suddenly Madonna is this untouchable legend that can't possibly be surpassed. You guys are SO obvious it's not even funny :toofunny3:

And for the record: i don't think Taylor has surpassed Madonna yet, she still has a long way to go before reaching that point. But out of all of ATRL's faves that aren't Madonna, she's definitively the one who could do it eventually. She's bigger than ever 17 years into her career and isn't slowing down anytime soon.

Rihanna and Britney stans have Never had beef with Madonna :deadbanana2: what are u on about

The only younger fanbase to fight with Madonsters, were Liddos - and that was mostly because of Gaga and Madge's beef

also, stans might attack her (they be attacking everybody tho)

but that doesn't mean that they are delusional and dont realize that Madonna literally gave birth to their favs :toofunny3:

• Like 3

I’m sorry but when Madonna was on top the access to music was limited she still sold millions, when Madonna grossed 400M with a single tour, touring wasn’t that popular. Nowadays Blackpink, Twice, Karol G and Taylor are all selling out the same stadiums 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thequeenofpopmadonna said:

Who knows her outside the us except her girly swifties and pop fans?

Apparently enough people to book the largest female stadium tour in Europe ever

She's never done anything concrete to change the politics and society. Even nothing for human rights and marginalized people because she's afraid of losing her streaming and  swifties because sensitive politics don't sell.

She's released a whole ass documentary taking a solid stance on politics, which is being cited up to this day in news all over the world. Just this week, several national TV channels in Argentina commented on an open letter Swifties wrote and cited Miss Americana as to where Taylor stands regarding politics.

"What does Taylor Swift think about the right wing?":

Swifties against Milei:

Etc.

And all the multiple releases and discount gimmicks to inflate and manipulate charts and her  numbers are not impressive at all.

She generates the most revenue from her catalog out of any music artist, so apparently the casual discounts she does sometimes don't ever make her operate at a loss. She has the most streams while also selling the most copies and cutting the most tickets for her tour.

Rather desperate trial to inflate and manipulate her quick stats for disposable songs that no one outside the us remembers.

She has the best catalog stats outside of the US out of any musician currently

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

All there is to say is Taylor occupied the entire top 10 in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand (what people call Anglosphere) but had low peaks or was completely N/A in:

Austria

Belgium

Sweden

Denmark

Germany

Poland

France

Turkey

Mexico

Hungary

Brazil

Spain

Italy 

Greece

Egypt

Japan

Nigeria

+ more

So this proved that she's not as massive in those countries as she is in Anglosphere. She's big but not the level of the absolute greats. Michael Jackson and Madonna were MASSIVE in every part of the world and in every country. You cannot become the new MJ with only breaking records in a select few territories (although they are some of the biggest markets in the world). You cannot be the new MJ or Madonna by amassing record-breaking sales in some parts of the world and then regular hit numbers everywhere else because MJ and Madonna were breaking records everywhere. It's not that hard to understand. Adele was the last one who broke first week sales records in almost every territory. She was the closest. And Taylor's entire discography charting and being listened is cool and all but why aren't people outside of Anglosphere checking her new album as they are in Anglosphere? Because she's not as big outside of the US as the Swifties claim. She's big, of course, but she's not massive and she needs to be massive everywhere to be on par with Madonna.  

Edited by JaXXXon
  • Like 4