is it finally time to admit Taylor has surpassed Madonna?

DTF

Atrl decides  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Yes

• No
    • Yes
    • Abstain

13 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

I'm not going to watch any YouTube video quoting dubious facts while you are out here calling Billboard "fans with an agenda".

BB artist of the year is not an award grandpa, it is a Year End Top Artists chart that lists artists based on their chart performance.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2009/top-artists/

:deadbanana2:This is why I was reluctant to divulge my age on here because of rude members like you.

Those who were alive to see MJ and Madonna's reign will know that video above is accurate and based on certified yearly record sales - aka the truth, so hardly dubious facts.

Billboard isn't worldwide, I'm pretty sure Lady Gaga was the #1 artist of 2009.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• GlamSlam

• JaXXXon

• WildHeart

On 10/28/2023 at 7:54 PM, CandleGuy said:

It's not that complicated.

Taylor has surpassed Madonna and Britney in sales and consumption.

She will never pass them in impaqkt or cultural relevance.

Taylor has absolutely passed Britney in every impact metric except tabloid coverage.

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 hours ago, barbiegrande said:

To me, it’s more so what her “cultural currency” represents. America moving to a more sanitized, “wholesome” idea of what female artists should strive for. Madonna was the complete opposite of that. 

I’d argue the opposite. Taylor is the symbol of a woman completely in control of her destiny, an artist as skilled in running her business empire as in creating one of the most prolific and celebrated music catalogues in history. And she conquered the world based largely on her songwriting and connection to audiences, not sex or gimmicks or manufactured controversy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

I think Madonna is aware her throne has been taken over. She'll always be my queen though. :heart:

Edited by PinkLamborghini
  • Thumbs Down 4

not in europe, the amount of hits and classics madonna has here... she's never gonna reach that, not close

• Like 10

1 hour ago, PoisonPill said:

I’d argue the opposite. Taylor is the symbol of a woman completely in control of her destiny, an artist as skilled in running her business empire as in creating one of the most prolific and celebrated music catalogues in history. And she conquered the world based largely on her songwriting and connection to audiences, not sex or gimmicks or manufactured controversy. 

Same goes for Madonna.

Although, I wouldn't exactly say someone that relied on handouts from their rich parents was "in control of their destiny", tbh.  Madonna was almost penniless when she went to NY. She's a self made woman who clawed her way to the top on her own without anyone elses help. No expensive condo's from her Father, just cockroach infested hovels. It got so bad she started eating out of trash-cans.

Meanwhile, the hypocrisy of a certain fanbase mocking others for using "Gimmicks, sex and manufactured controversy" is the biggest laugh I've had so far this week. lol

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Thumbs Down 4

10 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

Same goes for Madonna.

Although, I wouldn't exactly say someone that relied on handouts from their rich parents was "in control of their destiny", tbh.  Madonna was almost penniless when she went to NY. She's a self made woman who clawed her way to the top on her own without anyone elses help. No expensive condo's from her Father, just cockroach infested hovels. It got so bad she started eating out of trash-cans.

Meanwhile, the hypocrisy of a certain fanbase mocking others for using "Gimmicks, sex and manufactured controversy" is the biggest laugh I've had so far this week. lol

Exactly.

However, Gimmicks of discount sales that's very friends with that swiftie idol herself. To inflate her sales and quick stats.

Gimmicks of manipulation.

and using her exes and exs ex to sell her songs. And let people call women ****.

Aa if she never had controversy.

katy would be waving her hands smiling.

Girly teen pop gets overloaded.

No one remembers her disposable songs except her swifties girlys. Outside the us, there are so many countries where they don't even know her name except her girly swifties 

Edited by thequeenofpopmadonna
  • Like 3

Taylor may be able to surpass Madonna commercially like charts, sales, concerts gross etc sometime in the future, but one thing Taylor or any female pop artist will never be able to surpass is her cultural impact.

artistically, she was just too ahead of her time, the living blueprint.

Edited by ninetiesceline

Taylor hasn't done anything controversial enough to level with Madge. While I think, in time, she will certainly be more "successful," she culturally will never outpace her as long as she keeps it by-the-book. Though I would love for Taylor to give us an "Erotica"/"Bedtime Stories" one day, Reputation will likely remain her most hard-edge project and it is very PG compared to the ambitious projects or transformations undertaken by artists like Madonna, Janet, Cher when they were at the same stage in their career. 

Taylor will likely go down as the best pop songwriter of the millennium, though. She'll easily become our generations Joni. Her pen is undeniable, and I don't think any major megastar pop artist of *any* generation can really hold a candle to it, unless you're going back to the 70s. 

• Like 1

I find it strange how so many people on this form deify Madonna. There will never be another like her. No one will ever surpass her. Someone could outsell her but they'll never touch her influence. You all so confidently speak in absolutes like you know what the next 100 years of music has in store for us. We're in the goddamn age of the Internet with the most globalized human experience ever and yet you all insist no one will be able to shift music in a way she did. It just feels naive. 

I don't even agree with the question posed by the OP, but the way so many of you approach this topic is so suffocating. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

5 hours ago, GlamSlam said:

Same goes for Madonna.

Taylor was so not in control of her destiny that her masters were sold ten times before she knew it and she decided to throw a tantrum and rerecord them.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

16 hours ago, GlamSlam said:

This is why I was reluctant to divulge my age on here because of rude members like you.

Wait you're a man?

I thought you were a woman.

:ace:

Please don't hate me, you're still one of my favorite members here.

:deadbanana4: :deadbanana4: :deadbanana4:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Goaty said:

I find it strange how so many people on this form deify Madonna

It's just the usual delusional haters as always.

I'm pretty sure everyone else who has their head on their shoulders can respect all of Madonna has done for us.

• Thanks 1

No, Taylor simply isn't cool or a good enough performer. Her popularity will die out, and only her fanbase will remember those albums. Not the GP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexz said:

Taylor was so not in control of her destiny that her masters were sold ten times before she knew it and she decided to throw a tantrum and rerecord them.

Taylor can't do anything her team tells her not to do.

She is the Isreal of this thread.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Breakdown said:

not in europe, the amount of hits and classics madonna has here... she's never gonna reach that, not close

Agreed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alexz said:

This is not the drag you think it is. If anything, its a testament about how she forced things back into her control despite one of the (then) most influential talent managers in the business and multiple private equity firms being against her. Which ended up in arguably the largest discourse about artists' rights to own their masters yet, while also solidifying the relevance of her backcatalog both with new audiences and people who already knew it very well.

• Like 1

Taylor can outsell, outnumber and everything you want, but she'll never surpass Madonna in any way :gaycat2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's actually insane that most people in here have voted "yes". Just because Taylor has earned bigger numbers doesn't mean she will leave a giant legacy, it is wayyyy too early to determine that. Madonna's career has spanned 4 decades, Taylor's barely 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, HEAVYONIT said:

That's actually insane that most people in here have voted "yes". Just because Taylor has earned bigger numbers doesn't mean she will leave a giant legacy, it is wayyyy too early to determine that. Madonna's career has spanned 4 decades, Taylor's barely 2. 

actually @DTF ain't slick swapping the YES and NO options in the poll. :dies: