Midnights is one year old today. Thoughts on it now?

Treason

Midnights One-Year Anniversary  

223 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the album today?

• It's aged excellently. I enjoy every single song and barely skip anything.
    • It's a decent album with some skips.
    • It's a mid album. I only listen to a few songs from it.
    • It's a bad album. One of her worst.
  2. 2. Where does it rank in her discography?

• It's her best album.
    • It's her second-best album.
    • It's her third-best album.
    • It's her fourth-best album.
    • It's her fifth-best album.
    • It's her sixth-best album.
    • It's her seventh-best album.
    • It's her eighth-best album.
    • It's her ninth-best album.
    • It's her worst album.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• Solaria

• Bosque

• Treason

I think the main issue with Midnights is that a lot of the songs sound like they were written as poems first, songs second. The result is a bunch of songs which sound wordy and don't even have a strong melody to make up for it. THEN half of them have this minimal, lo-fi production to accompany a lacklustre song and you're left wanting more. On top of that, she barely moves out of her low-mid range the entire album (save for Lavender Haze and Karma) and there's a string of five or so songs in the middle of the album in the same damn key signature so it all starts to sound a bit boring. Songs like Dear Reader and Mastermind are Swiftonoff at their worst IMO.

Remove the snooze songs and you're left pretty much just the singles and some 3AM tracks which should've made the standard cut in place of Snore on The Beach and The Great Bore:

Spoiler

Lavender Haze
Maroon
Anti-Hero
Snow on the Beach (feat. Lana Del Rey)
You’re on Your Own, Kid
Midnight Rain
Question…?
Vigilante ****
Bejeweled
Labyrinth
Mastermind
The Great War
Bigger Than the Whole Sky
Paris
High Infidelity
Glitch
Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve
Dear Reader

• Confused 1

Midnights can get criticism but it is the era we wanted as her blockbuster era in streaming. The radio smashing, chart smashing all came together. So a legendary tenth era. Sure her catalog streams are amazing. But mn was the blockbuster I always wanted. 

11 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

Lavender Haze
Maroon
Anti-Hero
You’re on Your Own, Kid
Midnight Rain
Question…?
Vigilante ****
Bejeweled
Labyrinth
Mastermind
The Great War
Paris
High Infidelity
Glitch
Dear Reader

you literally cut like all the fan favs but kept Vigilante S, Bejewled, Glitch, Anti-Hero??? :deadbanana2:

I loved it since day 1 and it's still my favorite album of hers in every way. The lyrics are catchy and meaningful, the melodies get stuck in my mind but don't feel cheap or irritating and the production is heavy but never overtakes her voice. To me it's the perfect combination of her most sincere writing style and the pop music of today. Labyrinth, Mastermind and Anti-Hero are the most striking songs on the album for me but truth to be told, I don't think there's one weak song on the standard edition.

19 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

I think the main issue with Midnights is that a lot of the songs sound like they were written as poems first, songs second. The result is a bunch of songs which sound wordy and don't even have a strong melody to make up for it. THEN half of them have this minimal, lo-fi production to accompany a lacklustre song and you're left wanting more. On top of that, she barely moves out of her low-mid range the entire album (save for Lavender Haze and Karma) and there's a string of five or so songs in the middle of the album in the same damn key signature so it all starts to sound a bit boring. Songs like Dear Reader and Mastermind are Swiftonoff at their worst IMO.

Remove the snooze songs and you're left pretty much just the singles and some 3AM tracks which should've made the standard cut in place of Snore on The Beach and The Great Bore:

Hide contents

Lavender Haze
Maroon
Anti-Hero
You’re on Your Own, Kid
Midnight Rain
Question…?
Vigilante ****
Bejeweled
Labyrinth
Mastermind
The Great War
Paris
High Infidelity
Glitch
Dear Reader

?

Still mid and with a lot of fillers 

But at least it has a cohesive sound 

It did its job to cement her legacy and bring in a new generation of fans.

I would remove a few songs like Question, Sweet Nothing, Bigger Than The Whole Sky, Vigilante ****, and then keep the rest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.