Monica says she’s often forgotten, underappreciated, and never awarded

Stepfon

F8V4WJQW0AEruCy?format=jpg&name=900x900

Monica has been a major player in the R&B game since the 1990s. While she’s sold millions of records worldwide and has an adoring fanbase, she recently revealed that she feels like an underappreciated artist.

According to The Jasmine Brand, while appearing during the final stop of LeBron James’ talk show The Shop‘s Uninterrupted Live Tour in Atlanta, the singer talked about what inspired her to pursue and continue to pursue a music career. While doing so, she revealed that she once believed that breaking records would earn her awards. But she learned that that wouldn’t be her reality.

“I was able to really enjoy my career because I didn’t have any expectations. I was not looking at stats, I was not worried about awards. I’m actually a person that for all the records I’ve broken, I really have never won any awards. I’m really the most forgotten, if you think about it. I sit very comfortably in it because I can still go where I want, do what I want, live how I want. But when I say that, I am often forgotten, I was hosting the Soul Train Awards, was nominated for five, three of my songs in one category and still lost. But I went out to eat and kicked my regular s**t after. I was not bothered because that’s not what I do it for…That is really my point when I say that oftentimes I’m forgotten in those spaces.”

That said, she seems neglected on the awards front. She only has one Grammy for best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocals for her work on “The Boy Is Mine,” amid four nominations. She’s only received one award from the Billboard Music Video Awards, the BET Awards and the Soul Train Music Awards. Monica has been nominated for awards almost 40 times but has only five wins.

Monica Says She's 'The Most Forgotten' Artist In The Music Industry: 'I Really Have Never Won Any Awards' - Blavity

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trainsskyscrapers

• Fancyhoodlum

• Power love

• Armani?

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Storm alone deserved 17 Grammys

• Like 4

Don't know who this woman is. All I know is Brandy is that R&B *****.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

Angel Of Mine is the best R&B song of all time :clap3:

• Like 8

She also stayed with that boring r&b style and never went into something new. The most depressing part was her doing that part 2 to the boy is mine. Really desperate!

I do feel bad because she has such an amazing catalog of music.

However Brandy & Aaliyah overshadowed her completely & just have a much better diverse catalog. 

Monica never took any risk the same way Brandy & Aaliyah did.

Mya who came much later even has better streaming stats & more to choose from than Monica. 

It doesn’t make it even better than Monica full projects are lace with filter. 

she has no Full Moon, Aaliyah or Liberation in her catalog.

Ultimately, Brandy, Aaliyah and Mya just make better music.

oop sorry bay bay! 

Edited by Power love
  • Like 7

to be fair she was out in a pretty competitive time in the industry. in the r&b categories especially, going against brandy, aaliyah, tlc, toni, mary j, etc is pretty stacked competition. 

Edited by ariesgroove
  • Like 1

That's okay, Why I Love You So Much stays on my recurrent rotation :clap3:

• Like 1

Shes def not forgotten in my household. :heart:

Angel Of Mine

The First Night

U Should’ve Known Better

Don’t Take It Personal

Everything To Me

So Gone

so many gems

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, i spit on haters said:

That's too bad. If Whitney Houston's duality could be divided into two people, you would get Brandy and Monica.

Monica is the church-grown but street-smart R&B/hip-hop balladeer to Brandy's girl-next-door Black crossover R&B/pop-star in the late 90s.

I recommend "Angel Of Mine", her GROWN-beyond her years debut album, "So Gone", and all of her subsequent writing collaborations with Jazmine Sullivan.

Edited by trainsskyscrapers

Tru.

• Like 2

Also many 90s/00s R&B artists faded bc they didn’t adapt well with the new gen or shown no growth musically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monica is still killing it on the Adult R&B Charts with her new music. A #1 and several Top 20s in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

It's just a matter of time until that sound becomes trendy again

14 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

That's too bad. If Whitney Houston's duality could be divided into two people, you would get Brandy and Monica.

Monica is the church-grown but street-smart R&B/hip-hop balladeer to Brandy's girl-next-door Black crossover R&B/pop-star in the late 90s.

I recommend "Angel Of Mine", her GROWN-beyond her years debut album, "So Gone", and all of her subsequent writing collaborations with Jazmine Sullivan.

They know Monica, it's just shade lol

• Haha 2

Just now, Armani? said:

They know Monica, it's just shade lol

Oh I know lol. Sometimes you have to play dumb so they get annoyed. 

• Like 1

Monica is, and I say this without a hint of shade at all, the more palatable version of Brandy. And that's why she's always remembered as just... there.

Brandy was a borderline popstar who still did her r&b music, she positioned herself as an adjacent to the Christina's, hell, even the Britney's of her time. She may not dance like Aaliyah, but she absolutely made r&b-pop meant to crossover. Monica just didn't do any of that.

Like what a commenter here said, if Whitney was broken into 2 essences, Brandy would be one (the r&b popstar that Top 40 + Hiphop radios embraced) while Monica was the pure r&b balladeer.

Its why in a world ruled by pop music, its  Brandy that defined the late 90s r&b teen pop sphere.

• Like 2

shes not forgotten in my household but she does deserve her flowers and her career should have been a lot bigger

i spit on haters

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

The most depressing part was her doing that part 2 to the boy is mine. Really desperate!

OMG I almost forgot, that was a mess, those lyrics. "Yeah, that MacBook, that **** belongs to me, so log off your Facebook, it belongs to me." :rip: Next!

• Haha 4

she’s defiiiiiiiiiiiiiinitely not forgotten in my house! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, i spit on haters said:

I’m not what is driving you to say we don’t know her. But she very know in rnb. Maybe you said that as an accident

Edited by Mtjjproducer
  • Haha 1

She stays in her lane, but she makes stellar music. All of her releases are solid; she's been incredibly consistent in her sound and artistry. You can always count on her to serve quality. Still Standing, for sure, deserved to be celebrated. As did Code Red. I still can't believe it's been almost eight years since she's released an album.

I always did love how down-to-earth and real she is. She has every right to feel that way, and I believe she is right. I don't feel as though she's celebrated enough in R&B.

34 minutes ago, Mtjjproducer said:

I’m not what is driving you to say we don’t know her. But she very know in rnb. Maybe you said that as an accident

:skull: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.