A24 planning to go mainstream, looking for action and big IP projects

genetic fail

I can see it, I was shocked when they picked up Hazbin Hotel a couple years ago 

They better snatch the Halloween franchise :clap3:

god pls pick up the Jurassic Park franchise, throw the awfully childish JW **** in the trash and give us something dark, mature and philosophical again :duca:

1 minute ago, X~MoviePoP said:

And now their niche is done...why do this? They had a great reputation 

I can't blame them. They're paying their actors, writers and production crew well, which is how they got an interim agreement with SAG-AFTRA to continue filming stuff. They're probably not making much of a profit. As long as they maintain the quality of their films, I'm all for it.

If they snatched something like the rights to Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, they could have everything from big budget fantasy and sci-fi to smaller horror and stories :giraffe:

He's been notoriously picky about selling the rights, and they have a track record of being a good partner for artists.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

And now their niche is done...why do this? They had a great reputation 

Because they need money. If they keep only making weird movies such as Beau is Afraid (which lost them a considerable amount of money btw), they'll go under fast. They need profit in order to have the recourses for more auteur movies. A24 also does not have the benefit of being owned by a company where the performance of the studio won't have much of a impact like others.

Plus mainstream doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Edited by Gossip_Boy
  • Like 1

I'm into it - the more commercial work can pay for the artistic indie films. I'd love a proper reboot of the Alien franchise.

Mixed feelings. They're a business and need as much money as possible to pay for all of the niche stuff they make, but this could go by the wayside fast. As long as they are able to keep their branding and make mainstream films within the sensibilities they've curated, this could be a great thing. 

Edited by EnigmaticAndroid

Get that live action Attack on Titan or Full Metal Alchemist coins kings :jonny5:

Edited by Blue.

43 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

god pls pick up the Jurassic Park franchise, throw the awfully childish JW **** in the trash and give us something dark, mature and philosophical again :duca:

when was JP ever dark, mature? JP 1 is good but its still a kid movie

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
55 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

JP is a series where each successive movie is worse than the one before it. Let's leave that franchise behind.

OT: Hmm... I like A24 being predominantly an indie studio. If they go for big IPs, I'm sure they'll pivot most of their attention towards that.

this could either be their Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk era or their Jewel - 0304 era

1 hour ago, Gossip_Boy said:

Because they need money. If they keep only making weird movies such as Beau is Afraid (which lost them a considerable amount of money btw), they'll go under fast. They need profit in order to have the recourses for more auteur movies. A24 also does not have the benefit of being owned by a company where the performance of the studio won't have much of a impact like others.

Plus mainstream doesn't necessarily mean bad.

This.

This is actually quite promising. They can start an era where they "A24" blockbusters and children's films.

2 hours ago, Valance said:

when was JP ever dark, mature? JP 1 is good but its still a kid movie

for an action film about mutant dinosaurs chasing people it is, especially compared to what followed 

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

JP is a series where each successive movie is worse than the one before it. Let's leave that franchise behind.

i agree but they won’t leave it behind anyway and more films are already planned, might as well let a more out of the box studio do something creative with it since Universal clearly won’t :deadbanana4:

goodbye goodbye goodbye, you were bigger than the whole sky

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.