Speaker of the House ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ Megathread: Election Denier Mike Johnson is elected Speaker

Sergi91

22 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Jordanโ€™s the obvious chaos agent so they didnโ€™t really have a choice on picking Scalise, but the only way heโ€™s getting 217 is big donor donations to the Chaos 8 or primary threats, directly.

Non-American here, but it seems very unlikely to me (maybe I'm missing something) for Scalise to get 217 votes if he narrowly won the nomination with a margin of 113 : 99.

ย 

That's a massive gap, where are all those votes suddenly supposed to come from (considering that the Jordan supporters do not seem like party loyalists)?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• FameFatale

• Bears01

• If U Seek Amy

3 minutes ago, TomTom said:

Non-American here, but it seems very unlikely to me (maybe I'm missing something) for Scalise to get 217 votes if he narrowly won the nomination with a margin of 113 : 99.

ย 

That's a massive gap, where are all those votes suddenly supposed to come from (considering that the Jordan supporters do not seem like party loyalists)?

All great points.

• Like 1

I get that they pick and choose where to direct their shame, but I really wonder if OSU is what ultimately did Gym Jordan in :coffee2:ย @Sergi91

ย 

ย 

Edited by Espresso

4 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Jordanโ€™s not getting it either so now what :deadbanana4:

What a MESSโ€ฆthis is crazy even for American political standardsย :rip:.

ย 

The way thereโ€˜s just no plan whatsoeverย :deadbanana:

1 minute ago, TomTom said:

What a MESSโ€ฆthis is crazy even for American political standardsย :rip:.

ย 

The way thereโ€˜s just no plan whatsoeverย :deadbanana:

The Gaetz 8 is NOT budging for an Emmer or anyone like him. They literally won their primaries solely on being farther right than anyone in the conference - they have nothing to lose by continuing to obstruct.

ย 

If they hadnโ€™t passed the extension just prior weโ€™d be worse off but this is stillย bad.

• Like 1

How can the majority leader not be the Speaker?!ย :suburban:

7 minutes ago, Espresso said:

ย 

He's one of the last people that needed to be in that position.

7 minutes ago, Espresso said:

The Gaetz 8 is NOT budging for an Emmer or anyone like him. They literally won their primaries solely on being farther right than anyone in the conference - they have nothing to lose by continuing to obstruct.

ย 

If they hadnโ€™t passed the extension just prior weโ€™d be worse off but this is stillย bad.

Hakeem Jeffries for Speaker?ย :eli:

1 minute ago, TomTom said:

Hakeem Jeffries for Speaker?ย :eli:

Grotesquely, I donโ€™t think it was the resurfaced David Duke comments, or even his cancer treatment, but Trumpโ€™s comments about his cancer treatment that ultimately did him in.

ย 

27 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Scalise has dropped out :deadbanana:ย @Sergi91

ย 

Jordanโ€™s not getting it either so now what :deadbanana4:

I think โ€œmoderatesโ€ will cave and vote Jordan eventually. Even though it would kill many of their careers

ย 

18 minutes ago, DamianSolo said:

He's one of the last people that needed to be in that position.

Compared to Jim Jordanโ€ฆโ€ฆitโ€™s like asking to have your house burned down and your family killed, or a nuclear war. Like both horrid options but one is legit that terrible

@Espresso:ย 

ย 

ย 

Like I said, โ€œmoderatesโ€ will probably cave. Although Mike Garcia is easily the worst โ€œmoderateโ€ย 

21 minutes ago, Bears01 said:

@Espresso:ย 

ย 

ย 

Like I said, โ€œmoderatesโ€ will probably cave. Although Mike Garcia is easily the worst โ€œmoderateโ€ย 

Moderates are going to have to coalesce behind Gym if they want that precious Israel aid package to go out, as well as that resolution condemning Hamas (since they don't recognize Palestine as a state) and the rule to force Tlaib to get rid of her Palestinian flag outside her office.

13 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Moderates are going to have to coalesce behind Gym if they want that precious Israel aid package to go out, as well as that resolution condemning Hamas (since they don't recognize Palestine as a state) and the rule to force Tlaib to get rid of her Palestinian flag outside her office.

And โ€œmoderatesโ€ caving to extremists is why the GOP is in such a mess right now.ย 
ย 

Look, you and I agree that democrats are incompetent and suck, but we canโ€™t deny it: if democrats had an election like republicans did in 2022 weโ€™d be DRAGGING them endlessly through the mud as an embarrassing and broken party.ย 
ย 

Part of the reason why republicans did so bad was them constantly caving to and appeasing the extremists. I mainly blame their primary voters, but at some point these people who represent Biden +10 districts have to take a step back and say: โ€œgee, I probably shouldnโ€™t vote for a lunatic who covered up child molestationโ€ย 

the GOP really can't get anything done, can they? lol.ย  Isn't the next debt ceiling deadline in like 32 days or so?ย 

2 hours ago, spree said:

the GOP really can't get anything done, can they? lol.ย  Isn't the next debt ceiling deadline in like 32 days or so?ย 

Debt ceiling is taken care of until 2025. If the debt ceiling wasnโ€™t taken care of Dems wouldnโ€™t have voted to oust McCarthy because a debt default would be catastrophic beyond words for the global economy.ย 
ย 

A government shutdown? Yeah itโ€™s in 5 weeks. A government shutdown is bad but not on the level of a defaultย 

So when are they picking a replacement nominee since even Gym seems nonviable at this point.

Edited by ClashAndBurn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.