Ella Mai: what went wrong?

fememeist

Her debut album had two multiplatinum hits(Boo’d Up, Trip) and a moderate hit(Shot Clock) in the span of less than 2 years. She debuted with a top 5 BB200 album and it seems like she was building a solid foundation to be a main R&B girl like Summer and SZA. As a matter of fact, she probably had the biggest song out of the three back in 2018. What went wrong with the British songstress? It was crazy she was nominated for SOTY and she didn’t even get a Best New Artist nomination at the grammys too :deadbanana4:

To be honest I think she was just lucky. As much as I love her music (I love her second album), she doesn't have IT. 

• Like 2

Because DJ Mustard couldn't produce another hit to the same magnitude 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Because DJ Mustard couldn't produce another hit to the same magnitude 

I think this is part of it. But also, it seems over the last couple of years that she’s been marketed to an older R&B audience (like touring with Mary J. Blige).

I wish “Not Another Love Song” would’ve done better for her. I love that song. 

she didn't book hot collaborations like some of the other girls. she barely featured on anything.

while SZA was booking hits with Kendrick Lamar, Maroon 5, Doja Cat etc. and establishing her name between Ctrl and SOS.

plus, Ella Mai's hits relied on pop crossover factor more. once pop stopped caring, she kinda faded back.

I don't mind though, I saw Ella live this year. she's great.

18 minutes ago, kimberly said:

she didn't book hot collaborations like some of the other girls. she barely featured on anything.

while SZA was booking hits with Kendrick Lamar, Maroon 5, Doja Cat etc. and establishing her name between Ctrl and SOS.

plus, Ella Mai's hits relied on pop crossover factor more. once pop stopped caring, she kinda faded back.

I don't mind though, I saw Ella live this year. she's great.

Eh, she was never really a Pop crossover act

Her biggest song on Pop radio peaked at #29

She probably just needs something more uptempo. Not Another Love Song & DFMU are too chill 

She waited too long between eras + her second album was a snooze.

Shame because I really liked her first album and some of the songs from her EPs

She did have a huge slump though 

A 3X Platinum album to one that's struggling to go Gold?:rip:

3 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Eh, she was never really a Pop crossover act

Her biggest song on Pop radio peaked at #29

wow, that's shocking to me! "Boo'd Up" felt like a huge pop hit here. that's interesting.

Imma NEED Homegirl to fix her vocal styling a lil' (which can get monotonous) and she WILL scale those heights again :celestial::heart::clap3:

spacer.png

Edited by theoghon

17 minutes ago, orange22 said:

Boo’d Up was overplayed

extremelyyyy 

in addition to everything that has been said in here, she just doesn’t have much presence as an artist/celebrity

• Like 1

It's not the music because DFMU was one of the best R&B songs released last year. I think she lacks interest as a personality/entertainer.

she didn’t really have much of a presence outside of the songs that smashed for her :mandown: sza and summer are more compelling i guess which is why their bases grew

2 hours ago, Talento said:

Her career lowkey ended that day she couldn't name an Aretha Franklin song :redface:

:bibliahh: 

She played a festival in california recently and I was surprised people were louder for her than Kehlani

4 minutes ago, Topaz said:

She played a festival in california recently and I was surprised people were louder for her than Kehlani

I mean, she has bigger hits than Kehlani 

Kehlani's biggest song is Nights Like This

I really loved her first album a ton; I didn't find her second album to be nearly as memorable as the first. I think she still has a lot of potential, and I really do love her voice, but she just needs the right material.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.